Remembrance Day - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 26-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Remembrance Day

Why exactly has everyone at the BBC been issued with poppies 17 days before Remembrance Day?

Doesn't this turn a very serious moment of national tribute to those who lost their lives for this country into the same type of pantomime of Chirstmas trees appearing in September?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 20 Old 26-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Re: Remembrance Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf146 View Post
+1

The period leading up to November 11th is vital for raising money, so they need a few weeks to sell the poppys !
Good point.

I'm probably going to end up disagreeing with myself here
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Well you can already get Christmas items, surely a couple of weeks to remember very brave men and women; and very tragic and horrific events, isn't too much???
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
Why exactly has everyone at the BBC been issued with poppies 17 days before Remembrance Day?
Because the scum, Murdoch owned press will start lambasting them
if everyone on the Beeb isn't wearing them 1 second into November.

You could argue for them to be on sale all year round.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

It is a bit premature this year but regardless of what you think about conflict and war, the majority of those being killed or injured are brave kids doing what they are ordered to. Everytime I see old Soldiers at the Cenotaph I feel total respect and gratitude for what they have done. I also think our Government should do more for them. Divert some of the funds given to our spongers and hangers on to our hero's and the elderly per se.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

The RBL publication lists the amounts that are donated to the care homes on a regular basis, as does the MoD re-united site I believe. Time is of the essence, so the volunteers can collect as many donations as possible in a most worthy cause?

I'll have my window display up and running shortly as I do every year, and will do until I pop my clogs! So buy one, and wear it with pride, they deserve it.:

PS It's interesting to observe in the shopping malls, and outside the supermarkets, the ones that are more forthcoming with donations. The Mum's with toddlers are often to the fore in this respect, Bless 'Em.: The smart in appearance, well to do lot, often walk on by, with the odd remark, don't do charities, or suchlike, before sliding into their Porsche's.

Last edited by zulu ferret; 26-10-08 at 13:38. Reason: Missed D:(:
alfafamily

I don't think it's any earlier than usual. Mrs AF sells poppies door to door on our estate, seems about the same time to me. Wasn't there a small ceremony (in Basra this week) to start off the poppy appeal?

AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
PS It's interesting to observe in the shopping malls, and outside the supermarkets, the ones that are more forthcoming with donations. The Mum's with toddlers are often to the fore in this respect, Bless 'Em.: The smart in appearance, well to do lot, often walk on by, with the odd remark, don't do charities, or suchlike, before sliding into their Porsche's.
I shall be buying a poppy within the next week or so.

But as for charities,now!
After finding out only because of the credit crunch, that a cat charity had 11m in the bank, I shall no longer give to charity!

I could look after every stray cat in the country with 11m!
AO Platinum Member

Too many charities in general out there at the moment, but the Remembrance Poppy has a special case for donations imho? Not all agree, so it's a personal choice of course.

Just one prompt, folks, if you do support the cause, and buy that red flower, please wear it, some feel awkward doing this, but this helps if you display your support for the others to see?: Mind the pins, you have to fasten it yourselves nowadays. Health and Safety Regulations, I guess?

Last edited by zulu ferret; 26-10-08 at 16:45. Reason: Missed Please.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

I always buy a poppy, as do my family. Its a small price to pay to remember what all those people who went to war for us did, and will continue to do. Peopel these days are too busy rushing around to take time out to remember why our country is how it is today. Hence why I will always hold respect for those who have fought for our country, and indeed other countries too.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Forgot to say our dog is called Poppy and this was for rememberance purposes.
AO Platinum Member

Nice touch Sqn.: I hope she wears one.:
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 26-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

My parents both lost brothers in WW2 and still care very much that people understand that the freedom we all enjoy would not be possible without those that have lost their life in all wars and conflict.

What irritated me was the sudden blanket wearing of poppies so early-it feels to me like a directive from BBC management rather than a conscious decision by those individuals and that, I feel , rather belittles Remembrance Day.
alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
What irritated me was the sudden blanket wearing of poppies so early-it feels to me like a directive from BBC management rather than a conscious decision by those individuals and that, I feel , rather belittles Remembrance Day.
With regard to the BBC I think you may be right, it's almost as if someone has said "this will be good for our image". It is a fact that every guest is given a poppy to wear before appearing on air. On a repeat on Have I Got news For You last week an American asked why he had been given "this little flower".He wasn't to know. Americans remember their war dead on Memorial Day (now the last Monday in May) which dates back to the 19th century and they often wear a small Stars and Stripes flag emblem.

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Bought mine on Saturday - I have absolutely no problem with it being 17 days early on my clothing or that of anyone on the BBC.

What it stands for transcends such trivia.
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Lusso

surely the fact they are being worn gives out a very strong reminding influence !
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

who cares what date they come on sale, wearing one is the only thing that counts. along with the RNLI, probably the most worthy charity in the country. i'll be wearing mine with great pride as i do every year
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
With regard to the BBC I think you may be right, it's almost as if someone has said "this will be good for our image". It is a fact that every guest is given a poppy to wear before appearing on air. On a repeat on Have I Got news For You last week an American asked why he had been given "this little flower".He wasn't to know. Americans remember their war dead on Memorial Day (now the last Monday in May) which dates back to the 19th century and they often wear a small Stars and Stripes flag emblem.
Great line back from Merton... "it's to remember those that died in the Great War, or the 1917-18 war as you Americans call it".

I think the wearing of poppies on TV is a great reminder of this very important charity. Please give what you can.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

I really don't mind if the wearing of poppies by TV people was the
idea of just one chap or the individual choice of all of them. They are
wearing them, that will be in peoples face so, job done

Let's not spend all our time trying so very very very hard to be
cynical about absolutely everything

(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 28-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member