Failed Britain - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 98 Old 21-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Failed Britain

Sorry about the title but,
I saw that Gordon Brown and his new "pally" sidekick, sour face Mandleson, visited the Kent Science Park today, to give a big motivation talk to the small businesses.
I wish my missus had been there, because she could have given an alternative view on "reality" as the Government like to see it. She worked for five years in a Biotech company, which was bought out by the Yanks. Most of the staff, including her were made redundant two years ago. Since then, my wife and some of her ex colleagues have been on contract work, trying to earn a living wherever possible. My missus has a Masters degree, but has been working for far less than the average wage. Her last contract was brought to an abrupt end a couple of months ago, and her job (£22K per year), was re-advertised at £16 - £19K a year, still on a 6 - 9 month contract.
With the rampant inflation in the UK, and the unemployment situation getting worse, am I the only one who is wondering WTF is going on?
Sorry for the rant, but seeing the faces of the very well remunerated politicians emerging from her old site (her old firm's premises are still vacant after two years), spouting their absolutely disgusting drivel, has caused this outburst.
Oh, and another interesting point, apparently the government are short of people with scientific experience, and are looking to Eastern Europe for help! Why is it then, that my missus cannot get a job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: Failed Britain

It sucks the economic position but I dont think there is going to be a quick and easy fix. Sorry to hear about the position your missus is in with work, carnt believe that she has a masters degree and gets £22k a year after all that hard work to get her qualification.

Last edited by GTA Jim; 25-10-08 at 09:20.
Nev

My first ever starting salary was +700 quid due to a master's
degree. So they ain't really worth all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyalfagtv View Post
Her last contract was brought to an abrupt end a couple of months ago, and her job (£22K per year), was re-advertised at £16 - £19K a year, still on a 6 - 9 month contract.

Totally illegal in France. They'd lose a lot of money pulling that stunt here.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
My first ever starting salary was +700 quid due to a master's
degree. So they ain't really worth all that much.
My little sister is at uni in Leicester in her final year doing geography with a view to becoming a school teacher. My dad wants her to stay on to do a masters, I stay out of it. She obviously got my share of the brains in our family
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Jim View Post
My little sister is at uni in Leicester in her final year doing geography with a view to becoming a school teacher. My dad wants her to stay on to do a masters, I stay out of it. She obviously got my share of the brains in our family
Master's degrees are good if you can't find a job too.
(Keeps you out of mischief for another 18 months. )

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Master's degrees are good if you can't find a job too.
(Keeps you out of mischief for another 18 months. )
Doubt she is keeping out of mischief Dont blame her really but I dont see the point of the outlay of getting a masters if it doesnt get you a better job. She is clever and is in the top 5 in her year so she would do well where as I am thick as pig muck and more practital but still doing ok
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Maybe companies feel she is over qualified?

There are certainly lots of things wrong in Britain. I am sure most of you are aware of all of them so I won't say any more.

I am just amazed thet Britain has got as far as it has now with sucessive poor governments running it.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I am just amazed thet Britain has got as far as it has now with sucessive poor governments running it.
Me too, but then again all of them are just puppets and spanners
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Education is pretty much irrelevant once you've start work, I think I got +1000 for having a master deg ... but to be honest that was completely overshadowed by the 35% pay rise I got in the first year, on my CV now my "qualifications" take up a single line at the bottom of the last page (and in interviews no one even bothers asking me about them ...)
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Never done a CV and yes Chris, I can write
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Never done a CV and yes Chris, I can write
tbh Jim, it takes a LONG time to recoup the "losses" of going to uni ... some of my mates from school left at 16 and went into a trade, whereas I didn't get a job until 23!!! not only is that 7 years extra earnings, but also the fact that they bought houses at 18, whereas I didn't get my first house until 28 ... I think it's realistically going to take me another 6 years to "catch up" (obviously some people leave school at 16 and sit on there arse's doing sweet FA ... apart from getting pregnant... which I'm paying for through my taxes )

Alfa 156 10v 2.4 JTD + AHM fitted Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
AHM 200+BHP remap, Q2, 8C Alloys, GTA lights, Leather Interior...

CarPuter Spec: Gigabyte MA785GM Motherboard,2Gb Ram,
AMD Athlon X2 5050e Socket AM2 45W CPU,
K8061 D/A converter, M4 ATX PS, 60Gb SSD, Garmin x20 GPS
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Good point Chris, lucky for my sister that my dad is helping her out as much as he possibly can.

I know a bloke who last his job years ago and he doesnt want another job. He is a clever bloke but doesnt need a job because there is people like us lot out there paying for him The job centre found him a job which in my opinion is well below him (but its still a job) and he was deliberatly poo at it so he got the sack
(Post Link) post #13 of 98 Old 22-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

I think the thing which wound me up the most, was hearing Brown saying that we needed immigrants from Eastern Europe to fill these jobs, because we had a "skills shortage". The only thing we have a shortage of, is highly skilled and intelligent people who are totally desperate to work for peanuts - it won't pay the mortgage!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

I totally agree with that but now alot of them are going back to their own countries because there is such a shortage there now they have had to put the wages up. The unskilled manual jobs such as the ones I see when I have to go collecting round farms and factorys would simpily not get done without the foreign students and immigrents.
(Post Link) post #15 of 98 Old 22-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
I totally agree with that but now alot of them are going back to their own countries because there is such a shortage there now they have had to put the wages up. The unskilled manual jobs such as the ones I see when I have to go collecting round farms and factorys would simpily not get done without the foreign students and immigrents.
I agree with you there Jim, there are a lot of farmers in Kent, who have to leave their apple/plum/pear harvests to rot where they fall, because the unskilled immigrant labour is being lured home. I think that our young unskilled unemployed should be forced to work for their money, but also that they should be paid a fair wage.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Andy mate, don't apologise to me.

It's all clap trap they speak. They really can't believe it themselves.

Several years of boom fuelled by more credit than any other G7 Country.

I am very well qualified too. I earn less than your wife.

My current employer can't figure out my reluctance to do extra hours. I don't buy into their ethos, or way of doing things. Having not bought into the bubble or the BS and able to cope with the shame of driving a £350 from eBay motor all the hard luck stories don't sit well with me.

It could be worse.

You and your missus could be in Eye Rack, or fighting those nasty terrorists in Afghanistan that switch sides depending on who gives them the most money or shiny new pick ups all without any support from Brown and the superannuated Blair Babes, or the kit to do the job properly.

And they wonder why people don't vote?

Get thousands of pounds of debt getting a degree so you can sit in a call centre on the end of a phone?

Labour are mis-selling education.

'Knowledge economy'?
AO Platinum Member

There was also something on the news the other day about housing assosiations building new homes for eastern european migrants to get on the property ladder.

One of whom was working 100 miles from where he was currently living. Why the hell doesn't he just get a job closer to home?

There are plenty of native brits waiting to get on the proterty ladder too who wouldn't be if there wasn't a shortage due to migrants.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyalfagtv View Post
I agree with you there Jim, there are a lot of farmers in Kent, who have to leave their apple/plum/pear harvests to rot where they fall, because the unskilled immigrant labour is being lured home. I think that our young unskilled unemployed should be forced to work for their money, but also that they should be paid a fair wage.
I watched a series of three programmes on BBC1 a while ago about this very matter with that bloke off Jimmys Farm (great programme) about the farms using migrant workers. Very intersting and an eye opener, I actually go into two of the places featured. I totally agree about the bums/slobs/spongers should be made to work. There are only these types of jobs avaliable because the English people wont do them so its a good job the migrants are around else they wouldnt get done.

Quote:
There was also something on the news the other day about housing assosiations building new homes for eastern european migrants to get on the property ladder.

One of whom was working 100 miles from where he was currently living. Why the hell doesn't he just get a job closer to home?

There are plenty of native brits waiting to get on the proterty ladder too who wouldn't be if there wasn't a shortage due to migrants.
This is just borrocks and totally unfair
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
This is just borrocks and totally unfair
Why do you say this? The hundreds of thousands of Immigrants coming into the uk have to live somewhere.

I do appreciate they do good jobs though, and often do jobs british people wouldn't do. The only thing is we only have a small island and we can't just keep concreting over areas and building houses to cope with an ever expanding population.

Last time I checked the whole western world was up the ****ter, not just this country.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Why do you say this? The hundreds of thousands of Immigrants coming into the uk have to live somewhere.

I do appreciate they do good jobs though, and often do jobs british people wouldn't do. The only thing is we only have a small island and we can't just keep concreting over areas and building houses to cope with an ever expanding population.
I mean its unfair because I want my own house but I dont see the goverment providing me a cheap house.

Yours James (typing away in his bedroom living at his mum and dads )

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
Last time I checked the whole western world was up the ****ter, not just this country.

Hello Andy!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

When you have a Masters course and 10 out 12 students are from overseas and paid whatever the ridiculous amount they paid to get on the course, how do you fail them? Even the one with a completely irrelevant first degree and a limited grasp of English?

They're handed out like those bits of paper they give you when you do a track day.

The education system won't alter the fact the Country has been kept afloat by cheap money on the never never fuelling property prices that bore no relation to what people were earning or their ability to pay back the money.

If the government car going to bail everyone out, what about all the money i've lost in betting shops and on the lottery?

Where's the reward for those that were prudent and didn't mortgage themselves at 6 times their imagined earnings and whatever granny had in her piggy bank?

The whole economy of the Country was based on the property price bubble.

When did the IMF say our housing market was unsustainable? Spring 2007?

When did Caroline Flint walk down Downing Street saying 'property price crash' predictions in her see through folder?

And what's the news? Someone spoke to somebody on a 200 foot long mega gin palace owned by a Russian? That's really news when the French own our Energy industry, and yet French laws don't allow foreign ownership of theirs.

All the western economies are stuffed?

Just ours gorged itself stupid at the credit trough, and was more reliant on credit than any other G7 nation.

Failed Britain, governed by cluless losers. I'd put their heads on spikes.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

'When you believe in things that you dont understand,
Then you suffer'

Superstition, Stevie Wonder.
(Post Link) post #24 of 98 Old 23-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza96 View Post
When you have a Masters course and 10 out 12 students are from overseas and paid whatever the ridiculous amount they paid to get on the course, how do you fail them? Even the one with a completely irrelevant first degree and a limited grasp of English?

They're handed out like those bits of paper they give you when you do a track day.

The education system won't alter the fact the Country has been kept afloat by cheap money on the never never fuelling property prices that bore no relation to what people were earning or their ability to pay back the money.

If the government car going to bail everyone out, what about all the money i've lost in betting shops and on the lottery?

Where's the reward for those that were prudent and didn't mortgage themselves at 6 times their imagined earnings and whatever granny had in her piggy bank?

The whole economy of the Country was based on the property price bubble.

When did the IMF say our housing market was unsustainable? Spring 2007?

When did Caroline Flint walk down Downing Street saying 'property price crash' predictions in her see through folder?

And what's the news? Someone spoke to somebody on a 200 foot long mega gin palace owned by a Russian? That's really news when the French own our Energy industry, and yet French laws don't allow foreign ownership of theirs.

All the western economies are stuffed?

Just ours gorged itself stupid at the credit trough, and was more reliant on credit than any other G7 nation.

Failed Britain, governed by cluless losers. I'd put their heads on spikes.
Monza, I agree with much of what you have said, particularly with regard to the economy based on cheap credit. The demographics of the country should give us a clue as to why the country has "failed" IMO. We are some 65 million people, with an unknown immigrant population of between 1 and 3 million. We do not have any industry to speak of, and we have a situation where many millions of people are earning under £15K a year. That figure in itself would suggest an average house price of £60K (based on 4 x salary). We know however that the average price a year ago was something like £150K. The fact is, that many employers will hire foreign labour, or outsource to other countries, in order to maximise profits. We have sold off our council housing stock - a huge mistake in my opinion, and the options for people are - pay huge rents to property developers/landlords, or pay falsely inflated prices because the financial sector will lend you as much as you want. I have had a mortgage for eighteen years, I have no credit card debt, and I run an eight year old Mondeo (the 97 GTV is off the road at the moment). I have seen people rack up credit card debt of £60K, in the knowledge that they can lose their job and the insurance will kick in and pay the debt off for them. The same people carry out other insurance fraud, and the rest of us pick up the tab.
Maybe my missus and I can start a business, but it isn't easy when you are both out of work. We don't want any handouts, and we both want to work, but we have both found, in the last couple of years, that we have suffered from age discrimination - we are both 50.
Why can't the government use protectionist measures to help our home grown workforce? We need hundreds of thousands of new homes, we have plenty of unemployed people. We need our roads and public transport system improving, because they are shocking compared to some countries. We need decent hospitals and schools, and we need to staff them, with people from this country, irrespective of their colour or creed, but they need to be British.
AO Platinum Member

There are many people these day's who aren't in need of council housing, but once you've got you foot on the ladder they don't ever kick you off ... I said to one of my mates the other day that he doesn't deserve a council house and that he should be kicked out, he actually agreed with me, 7 years ago he was in great financial need, but now he's cleared all his debts and is earning good money (he's currently saving £1000 a month!!!), he's even thinking about buying his own house, but not to live in it as that wouldn't be cost effective!!! no he's going to keep paying his £300 a month rent to the council and buy another house and rent that out too ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page