Why Nigeria? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

alfafamily

Not Happy Why Nigeria?

I am so fed up with experiencing and hearing about online scams originating in Nigeria. Why do we have to put up with it, surely the rest of the world has enough influence to put a stop to it. The general population live in poverty but have little chance of any sympathy or help while these crooks are giving the country such a bad name.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Re: Why Nigeria?

Well - I have no problem with Nigerian scams.

Ignore them - it does not affect my opinion of Nigerians in general any more than I think Columbians are all part of the international drugs trade.

Or am I missing something here?
alfafamily

I've nothing against Nigerians either, I just can't understand why their government and the rest of the world seem to give the criminal element there free reign to scam to their hearts content. Last night I had someone ruin my e bay listing causing me to lose a genuine buyer and cost me fees , a few months ago I responded to car ad that was false, a couple of weeks ago a freind of mine had his credit card cloned. All 3 things involved Nigeria. It's not that I have suffered greatly, it's just a nuisance that we shouldn't have to put up with.

AO Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

It's a cultural thing by all accounts.

If you can make money for very little effort that is seen as worthy.

They would be right at home as British politicians.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt74 View Post
It's a cultural thing by all accounts.

If you can make money for very little effort that is seen as worthy.

They would be right at home as British politicians.
Or city traders.
alfafamily

What was it I heard on TV today something like.... If you rob a bank and take people's money you get sent to prison, if you set up a bank and take people's money.........guess the rest

Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

It is in their culture and that's a fact.

I was told by a Ghanain (when I was working out there) to NEVER trust a Nigerian.
If you tell them that something cannot be done, they will try and find a way of doing it. Like the rest of Western Africa, if they put this mentality into running their countries and their fantastic continent, they would rule the world.

Shame.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post

I was told by a Ghanain (when I was working out there) to NEVER trust a Nigerian.
If you tell them that something cannot be done, they will try and find a way of doing it. Like the rest of Western Africa, if they put this mentality into running their countries and their fantastic continent, they would rule the world.

Shame.
I heard the same about Ghanains from a persn from Guinea.

(Only joking!

Although a lot of scam spam can be traced to Nigerians,
most of the big stuff is from our friends in the Russian Confederation.

An I have to agree with the Nigerian politician who said, when
questioned why they don't so more about it said, (And I may be paraphrasing a bit) that people who fall for these scams shouldn't be such greedy cretins.

alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post

An I have to agree with the Nigerian politician who said, when
questioned why they don't so more about it said, (And I may be paraphrasing a bit) that people who fall for these scams shouldn't be such greedy cretins.
But isn't that just saying that some people deserve to be stolen from and good for you if you can find them and empty their bank account.
When I started this thread I had nothing against Nigerians as whole but if deception and theft is part of their culture and they condone it, then I do have something against them.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
When I started this thread I had nothing against Nigerians as whole but if deception and theft is part of their culture and they condone it, then I do have something against them.
I reccomend reading the book 'Blood River' by (I think) Tim Butcher. Which although centred upon The Congo, gives a good insight to the mentality of West Africa, and points a finger of blame at where things started to go wrong in that part of the world.

I'll not spoil it, but It's a very thought provoking book, and has changed my opinion of the people of the continent, and the way they are governed.

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

"Hello my dearest establishment friend. My farther, Appa Ollo Doppo, was recently kilted by a rival gang of murderous lice. First, they are slaying donkeys for fun, before attaching my farther. On his bed of deathness, he made one request; that I Kontact ewe. I know that we are stranglers, but my farter, fearing his de'ath, has been done some research into people who he could untrust to his many wealths. After much luking, he find you as honest and knobble UK man to give his money grand collection of colourful beads.

Please dear kindest sir; in exchange for all you bonk details and permissions of your identity, allow me to fulfill my farter's dream and deposit you with $99,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

It is a gift of kindness that I give, as my farter know you to be good man, and you will conquer his vish of vash and slice the lice.

I truly remain your most dependent brother of God's joy"

And...hit delete.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Every drug dealer in South Africa is a Nigerian,dodgy people in general I'd say.
alfafamily

Thanks HST, its on Amazon 4.61

As ridiculous as Scudetto's example might seem it's not far from being the typical scam e mail

i like the scams

I play with the scammers

Welcome to the 419 Eater great site!!

create a fake email address, search in google for "mugu guymen guestbook" and it'll throw up a load of guestbooks that scammers use to get people's email addys. Then go to some of these and put your fake address on them.
Within a day or 2 go check your fake address and you'll have a load of scammers just waiting to be messed around

Rights thats enough about dodgy Nigerians. Time to put a stop to it.

Everyone send me £5 for you guide on how not to be a victim.

Send cash only to PO BOX 11111, Nigeria. ( Purely coincidental )

@phoenix boy: money's on the way

Nev

Quote:
But isn't that just saying that some people deserve to be stolen from and good for you if you can find them and empty their bank account.
No, It's about stupid people being greedy.

Most of these scams are about lotteries you've not entered
or illicit money that needs to be shifted via you bank account, for
a percentage.

alfafamily

Quote:
No, It's about stupid people being greedy.

Most of these scams are about lotteries you've not entered
or illicit money that needs to be shifted via you bank account, for
a percentage.
Yes, but all I wanted to do was sell my N95 on E bay to someone in the UK without interruption from some lowlife jerk in Africa who cost me 8 quid.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Mess them about, cost them postage !!
Nev

Maybe I'm being prejudiced, but these guy don't seem to be Nigerians...

Feds hamstring world's largest spam gang ? The Register

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

It's not just the email scams with Nigeria....

My wife worked in a student travel agency for a few years back in the 1990s and after they'd been hit for the umpteenth dodgy credit card transaction, fraudulent student registration, or falsified travel insurance claim - they just simply stopped all business with customers from Nigeria. It was about a 100% hit rate. I agree with the above re the cultural thing.
alfafamily

Quote:
Maybe I'm being prejudiced, but these guy don't seem to be Nigerians...

Feds hamstring world's largest spam gang ? The Register

That's great to see that someone has been stopped, but it seems to me all the scammers I hear about personally are from Nigeria and they seem to be doing it at will. It's been going on for years I don't understand why it's tolerated by the rest of the world.

Nev

The reason spam is such a problem is because, in the beginning businesses
lobbied against control/laws against spam. Because they saw it as a
great business tool/opportunity.

After they realised there was big backlash against spam which could
cost them business they backtracked. But it was too little, too late and
now the door is wide open for the real scumbags.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
That's great to see that someone has been stopped, but it seems to me all the scammers I hear about personally are from Nigeria and they seem to be doing it at will. It's been going on for years I don't understand why it's tolerated by the rest of the world.
I have had direct experience of both Nigerian and Ghana(i?)n fraudsters, when working in the City. Most scrapped PC parts find their way to Africa - hard drives, memory etc., and the people are very resourceful, because their situation demands it. A lot of the financial fraud, is assisted by unwise (greedy and stupid?) people who want something for nothing. Some cases though, involve identity theft in this country, and occasionally the authorities are not at their best. A friend of ours had her bank account details, cheque books and credit cards stolen by a young lady from Ghana (who was staying in the same house), who passed the details on to her friends. Although prompt action was taken by our friend, it took more than six months for the Police to do anything, and none of the people were charged or deported as a result of the crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post

Shame.
Good grief

There are over 140 Million people in Nigeria.....of that a proportion will be hard working law abiding people.

and of course there will also be the criminal element....are we suggesting that all 140 Million people are criminals....with a comment such as the above and also on this thread ??

WTF has that got to do with cultural....

Some people are talking absolute ******

Oh and when you talk about running their own country

Africa is kept in its place for good reason - and its deliberate and is controlled by the west...A prosperous Africa would destroy western way of life - why because they would require Oil and lots of it...

How many munition and armoury's are African produced...better still you can't buy weapons in African currencies ??

I mean we are approaching the season now for burglaries, doorstep scams, and ripping of the elderly ?? but then again its in white peoples nature to rob their own - especially those that fought and sacraficed for this country and suffered alot to allow a better way of life for all...

But then again - it takes a special breed of people to do that to their own....you don't see african's doing that kind of thing....they are to busy trying to scam you out of money so you can free up $1 billion pound in frozen assets now there lies the answer to your question

Chris

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page