Sleeping sodding policemen!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Sleeping sodding policemen!!

as hell.
Why O Fxkin Why do they build such hugely irregular humps on the road?
No account for the camber of the road,

no account for people who live on a hill

and have a slighty hocky stick shape to the bottom of the road, where they put the biggest sleeping policeman you have ever seen, youd need a 4x4 just to get up one side of it. (it would be like Clarksen, climbing up that mountain in Wales in a Landy) over it, its fxkin huge compared to all the others ive EVER seen

and so to top it all the Wife takes daughter for a short ride up the road to get fancydress costume on Sat and when she comes back....... again complained about the hump. Sunday lunchtime on the A3 at Tippets corner just joining the slow crawl into one lane and she massively lets go! (The car that is not the wife!)
Steam everywhere, eventually managed to get to side of the road big hole in the rad and a huge scrape to surrounding area.

Is it just another sign that the British workman is no longer capable of following instructions or did they have some tarmac left over? I will now take a longer and more congested route JUST to avoid this. I know they serve a purpose and are good at moderating speed where it not safe.......but cant there be some uniformity WITHOUT it going to the EU commission for a rulling to be produced in triplicate consuming 50 trees. Common Sense is DEAD! RIP

So new Rad and back to garage very soon!

and im either going go and dig the sodding thing up, get the wife to remember to go the other way or there will be another hump at the end of the road soon and it will be our Local Goverment representative for road safety!!! and I will drive over it and over it and over it and over it......and......

Thats feels better!

Autodelta -Jano tweaked remap, Free flow intake, 100cell sports CAT, hand made free flow SS rear boxes + grooved + drilled front & rear disks and DS2500s

When making your choice in life, do not neglect to live. *Samuel Johnson
Take a chance while you still got the choice. * Bon Scott
Oh Sh$t I bought another Alfa. *Mj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

Re: Sleeping sodding policemen!!

Don't blame ya for ranting! We had S.P down our road but they actually removed and replaced them with those square type ones which are an awful lot easier to cross but still calm the traffic. Hope you can find a solution, maybe a petition may help if its as bad as you say? (yes sounds lame I know!)
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I find it funny that the council can afford to stick in useless sleeping policeman, dangerous chicanes on the the approach to villages, and yet they haven't got the money and time to fix the pot holes.

If I was transport minister things would be very different.

One of my policies would be removing traffic calming obstructions, except where they are actually useful like outside schools.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Speedbumps are brilliant opportunities to allow me to overtake chavs in lowered cars when I'm in the Mondeo. Just plows over them all at 40mph without batting an eyelid, with its comedy suspension and baloon profile tyres
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Carnt you claim against the council? Surley you pay you taxes in return for roads to be kept in a useable state? This obviously isnt the case, maybe you should refuse to pay your road tax as compensation for the new radiator? Wouldnt work would it!? [email protected]!
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

I'm sure there are regulations about how high and steep speed bumps should be. Maybe the one you are talking about contravenes those? There was a case in Edinburgh where a contractor had built them to the wrong size and had to remove and replace them following complaints. Maybe worth checking to see if there are rules about them. The way things are just now I would be stunned if there wasn't
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

We have so much traffic calming in our village now its crazy - we have SP every 200mts with the old road narrowing in between.

The 1 mile to get throughthe village takes around 10 minutes to navigate.

I have no issues with the traffic calming measure in the right place but its got out of hand now

(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 08-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Danant
Very interesting! Its finding the time, perhaps while I am without car for a few days ill put the time to good use.I like it!
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Alfaholic

Link to the story I mentioned regarding speed bumps in Edinburgh

Steep bill as drivers get the hump - Times Online
AO Silver Member

The thing which really winds me up is that, IMHO, the speedbumps should be mild enough that you drive over them comfortably at the speed limit. Having a 30mph limit, with speed bumps which cause your suspension to bottom out and your spine to compress is ridiculous.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Here be the speed hump rules

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/uksi_19991025_en.pdf

the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres
higher than an imaginary line parallel to the centre line of that carriageway connecting
the surface of that carriageway on one side of the road hump to the surface of that
carriageway on the other side of the road hump and passing vertically below that point;
and,
(d) no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeds 6 millimetres
measured vertically from top to bottom of that face.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

There are a few around us that catch the under tray / underside of the bumper even if you stop and crawl over them Doesn't stop the chavs in their cheap wrecks hitting them at 60mph though!
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

From the horse's mouth :-

Speed humps an awful mistake, says man who introduced them

The sinister Tory grandee Kenneth Clarke has admitted to an ďawful mistakeĒ. And if youíre not sure which one, itís road humps.

He told a radio interviewer last week that, as a junior transport minister in the Thatcher government, he was responsible for introducing road humps in this country.

In fact itís worse than that: he went so far as to suggest that local groups might club together to pay for humps in their area.

Apparently, unlike Mr Clarke, some people still think this right-wing innovation is a good idea.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page