E.S. Jones. Wrexham Alfa Dealer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter

Madness E.S. Jones. Wrexham Alfa Dealer

NOT A HAPPY BOY!!!!

Some problems with my GT, heres the list which I can remember:

Extremely stiff rear arm rest. (Which I forgot to mention)
Nipple on seat.
Excessive wind noise on passenger window.
Leaking passenger door.
Wings/bonnet not aligned correctly.
Sticking caliper resulting in grinding disc.
Window wipers click.
Steering wheel 'groaning' at low speed.
Extremely underpowered compared with claimed/advertised figures.

Took the car back today, loan car sorted with them and I double checked this with them today through a phone call (I called them).

Get there to be greeted with some horrible over weight woman staring at me as though I was a begger that had just came in off the street (I was wearing my work clothes).

After I told her my name and what I was taking up here precious time for she looked back in a shocked manner and eyed me from top to bottom. Then the mood turned sour on my part.
"How old are you again" she says.
"I'm 21" I reply.
"oh, err, I'll have to ring the insurance to check you can take the courtesy car we have lined up"
"Theres a problem with the car, you can't take that you'll have to take something else" (The car was a 147 1.6)

Then she starts talking to some weasel next to here about what cars are less than insurance group 11.

The lad says to her "Hmm, the getz (or some other crap)"
"Woah, Woah, Woah, A HYUNDAI?! you're putting me in a HYUNDAI??"
"Thats all we can give you, you don't have to take it, you can take you're car home with you if you want"

At this stage I am absolutely fuming (understandable). I ask if I can get the warranty issues dealt with at any AR dealer and weigh it up for a second (the closest other than E.S.Jones is knutsford (over an hour away) so I leave it there.

I take the woMAN out side to go through the problems, start going through the HUGE list with her and each different problem having a response. Then mention the power loss issue and present the printout.

"Well that print out will be power at the wheels and the claimed figures at the flywheel" In a smarmy, arrogant voice. I was expecting a NER N NER N NER NER.... At the end of the sentence.

To which I reply, "No this is calculated at the flywheel" By this stage I was spitting the dummy out and getting VERY annoyed and becoming an arrogant ***** myself.

"Well we'll have a look then"
"NO, you don't understand, they are ALL like this from the factory, there is nothing wrong, thats the way it is. Who do I speak to?? ARUK or cut to the chase and get in-touch with trading standards as effectively, I have been mis-sold the car."
"ERR ERR, we'll get in-touch with research and see what they have to say."

After much ranting etc I get the key for the HYUNDAI and drive off in disbelief. Never shall I step foot in E.S.Jones again other than to pick the car up with do doubt still a list of problems that need sorting.

I'm complaining to ARUK about not only the way the problems were frowned upon as petty, but that I arrived with a courtesy car in place, then made to wait around while they sort their ****-up and to be fobbed off with something that IMO is totally unacceptable.

Here is what they gave me:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...4092008011.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...4092008012.jpg

The word angry doesn't do it justice.

The worst part about it?? The thought of 'I wonder if I'd of had these problems with the Mercedes'

If needs be, how do you go about rejecting the car??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: E.S. Jones. Wrexham Alfa Dealer

Shocking mate, absolutely shocking.. Have you been on to ARUK? I would speak to trading standards about what you could do to reject the vehicle..

If you complain enough to ARUK about the courtesy car you should get a better one, tell them you'll be hiring a car next time and sending them the bill if the dealer can't offer an equivalent car.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Awful.

Isn't E.S. Jones under threat of losing the franchise anyway? I might be wrong but I was sure I'd heard this recently from someone involved in AR.

You start by putting in writing that the car is of "unacceptable" quality and is not as advertised or offered in materially important respects.

You also comment that the sub-standard service and rep's attitude was not acceptable and you cc the Head of Customer Service at ARUK.

Good luck with it.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Shiny red 159Ti

Is this ES Jones in Dobshill?

I use them, and have defended them here in the past. But you are right, that receptionist (and she does forget that's all she is) is a right madam. I won't go through her anymore - I always ask to speak to Darren, get more sense out of him.
(Post Link) post #5 of 45 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Awful.

Isn't E.S. Jones under threat of losing the franchise anyway? I might be wrong but I was sure I'd heard this recently from someone involved in AR.

You start by putting in writing that the car is of "unacceptable" quality and is not as advertised or offered in materially important respects.

You also comment that the sub-standard service and rep's attitude was not acceptable and you cc the Head of Customer Service at ARUK.

Good luck with it.

Funny enough, I've just heard this rumour from somewhere else.

How do I find the head of customer services E-mail etc?? Can't seem to find much on the Alfa site.
HSTDriver

Tell them you like the Hyundai so much you'll keep it, and be canceling any payment owed on the GT (if any remaining)

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
Funny enough, I've just heard this rumour from somewhere else.

How do I find the head of customer services E-mail etc?? Can't seem to find much on the Alfa site.
If it isn't on the ARUK web-site I'd just phone the head office and ask for their name and email address in order to lodge a complaint.

They may not divulge the name to be fair, as many companies don't release individual's names but you could get put through to the department and ask.

If you get their name you can try the obvious styles of email address or simply use recorded snail mail. Don't just post it.

Oh, and remember to put "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" in the title after the salutation. It makes them think you know a bit of law and are more serious than the average whingeing customer. Type it up too, no handwritten scrawl!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Ring ARUK customer services. They do not deserve to have an Alfa franchise

Seriously, what about threatening (or actually doing it) rejecting the car?
(Post Link) post #9 of 45 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter

How do you go about rejecting the car???

I'm currently compiling an e-mail to ARUK not only about the condition of the car which has passed all PDI's but the attitude of E.S.Jones too.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Nipple on seat.
Consider yourself lucky - some people would pay extra for that
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
How do you go about rejecting the car???

I'm currently compiling an e-mail to ARUK not only about the condition of the car which has passed all PDI's but the attitude of E.S.Jones too.

Check the What Car? site out or CAB.

Stay cool when you complain. Go gentle and keep your big guns for later if needed
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

I'm not sure, but do you have to give them chance to put the car right first before rejecting?
Have you read Hunter's thread? Its quite long, but he got sorted in the end.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...d-or-what.html

I've got to go in there on Friday to see Frank (sales) I'll see if i can get her name for you
(Post Link) post #14 of 45 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterman View Post
I've got to go in there on Friday to see Frank (sales) I'll see if i can get her name for you
Frank sold me the car, He's a fairly decent guy.

Thanks for the help everyone, really helping me channel my anger into words rather than smacking someone in the face.
(Post Link) post #15 of 45 Old 24-09-08 Thread Starter

I'm off out now to burn some rubber in the diesel matrix piece

My friends are gonna love this one.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

I've got a paper bag to put over your head in case you can't find one
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

gregch is talking to Chris Nicholl at ARUK as he has had an issue where he can not even get a loan car when his 8 week old spider goes in for warranty work.

I believe an E-mail to Chris got it resolved in about ten minutes.

PM - greg for the E-mail address

(Post Link) post #18 of 45 Old 25-09-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
gregch is talking to Chris Nicholl at ARUK as he has had an issue where he can not even get a loan car when his 8 week old spider goes in for warranty work.

I believe an E-mail to Chris got it resolved in about ten minutes.

PM - greg for the E-mail address
Cheers mate, PM sent.

Rang them earlier today regarding the stiff arm rest that I forgot to mention and asked to speak to the manager. Strangely enough there was no one available at the time.

Left a message for them to get in-touch sometime after 4:30 today and I'm just waiting on the call, I have the feeling I could be waiting a while. I hope they don't get in touch as this will play right in to my hand and back up my claim of poor customer services.

I did, however, get an update of the car. Not ready for pick-up today as their still working on the panels and water ingress but no mention of anything else.

The thing is, when they move the wings and the bonnet, paint on the securing bolts in the engine bay will be damaged and I'm not going to settle for a touch up job a this will look terrible. This is my main concern with the repair work that is being carried out.

All the problems of the car are on the passenger side, door leak, wind noise and poorly aligned wing maybe the disc grinding too?? This makes me wonder if the car has been in some form of accident before collection. May sound far fetched but this has happend to someone else on AO. Come to think of it, there were a few minor scratches on the passenger side wing to.

Time will tell, but one thing's for sure, I love playing the awkward t*** and causing some trouble.

Last edited by G5een; 25-09-08 at 16:22.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Shiny red 159Ti

The greasy wheel gets the oil

Good for you, keep at them
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Got your PM and catching up on this thread. I'll PM you info and see how you get on.

Be prepared for a fight and NOT to back down.

Patience is a virtue but you have to be 110% sure that youre in the right. Im not for 1 second doubting your case, but you must legally give the dealer the opportunity to remedy the situation. If that fails, then rejection is fair play and an exchange is more realistic. Honestly, youd be lucky to get a full refund.

Your dealer needs a kick up the arse from high up. Your age shouldnt make a jot of difference. Good on for you having a GT at 21 chap

You got a Hyundai and I had a Focus. Great isnt it hey

Hope you make progress.

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 335d XD ->BMW 440i->Merc AMG

(Post Link) post #21 of 45 Old 25-09-08 Thread Starter

Cheers Hunter.

The car is in there now having the work done, so I am giving them the chance to sort the car but it's to late to sort out the customer services. No phone call from the manager Says it all really.
(Post Link) post #22 of 45 Old 26-09-08 Thread Starter

First of all, MASSIVE thanks to all that have helped steer me in the right direction!!! Especially you mr H

Sent some rather strong worded e-mails to some top heads at Alfa/Fiat and they have been right on it.

The dealer was much more polite with me today (even offered a seat ) Had a fairly lengthy conversation at the dealers office with a lady called Teresesa at ARUK customer services, Asked to take the phone call in private as I didn't want to slate them right in their faces.

Was an interesting conversation, in future I now have to transfer my insurance onto the loan car as the insurance they have will not cover me. I have no problem with this and wouldn't of in the first place if they had told me. Also, all cost will be refunded by ARUK. She also said that a list that long of problems to have passed all 3 PDI's is unreal and congartulated me on owning such a car at my age. I didn't drop out of school with no qualifications for nothing you know!!

The underpowered issue will be looked into more next week by the tech guys and I shall here back on monday, but she told me that the engines are tested OUTSIDE the car which would mean the intake etc wouldn't have been attached (EXACTLY what Red Dot claimed).

To be fair to the E.S.Jones technicians, they haven't done that bad of a job. The panels are now ligning up as they should (ask GTAJim about how bad they were) and the paint has been touched up quite nicely, although I havent had a really close inspection yet.

Wipers still click and was told something about the timer switch on the relay, as far as I'm aware everycar has these timer switches and no other cars make this noise.

Wind noise, still there.

Ordered the new seat for me and ordered a new door seal for the water leak, although they say they couldn't get any water in with the jet washer.

So I'm a bit happier now and was shown a reasonable amount of respect at the dealer, but, I made it quite clear that I still wanted to speak to the manager and was hugeley unimpressed that no one was in touch after leaving a message for the manager to do so. I was fed some story about something or other but why couldn't someone ring me and tell me instead of leaving me hanging on the telephone?! I made that point quite clear.

Thanks for the help everyone and altought I'm not out of the woods yet, I'm begining to see the light.

Goes to show though, if I didn't kick up a stink I would of no doubt been fobbed off.

That better JIM.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
I didn't drop out of school with no qualifications for nothing you know!!

The underpowered issue will be looked into more next week by the tech guys and I shall here back on monday, but she told me that the engines are tested OUTSIDE the car which would mean the intake etc wouldn't have been attached (EXACTLY what Red Dot claimed).

That better JIM.
Yes thanks that better Andy Even I left school with a C in woodwork ya thicko!

Glad your getting somwhere with them, throw you weight around with them. You did spend £20k with them, even you deserve some respect! The misalined panel gap was massive and I could fit my finger in it, it was that big.

The seat, you not going to miss that dainty little nipple?

The water, as long as they are adressing the problem and not ignoring it.

What are you doing about the remap?
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Excellent ....good on ya mate!

...we know you shouldnt have to get angry to get them listenin...

Now you got their attention I wouldnt let anything you aint happy with get past em...nice one
AO Member

County: Flintshire

This dealership is my nearest AR showroom but I got really frustrated that when Frank wasn't there no-one else would entertain the thought of helping me locate a used Alfa. They just kept telling me to come back on Frank's next day in.

So I bought a Brera in Shrewsbury :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page