Grrrrr - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 12-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf Q2

Grrrrr

My drive home from work tonight was a lesson in damn awful driving...

Crossing the M6 bridge onto the M69 I was following a Vauxhall Astra when the heavens opened. So Mr. Astra driver decides to make the visibilty even worse for me by dazzling me with his rear fog light Why do people put foglights on in the rain? Do they not realise that it makes things worse because of the glare off the road / rain?

So clearly noticing that the conditions had just got worse he does nothing else but accelerate!

Next I had the pleasure of some knobhead in a 5-series BM nailed to my bumper because despite the fact I was splashing through rivers of water (I was stuck in the outside lane trying to overtake a slow lorry at the time) I wasn't going fast enough and he wanted to get past. He communicated this in the only way BM drivers can by flashing his lights. Why is that (almost) without exception BMW drivers are Right Hand Lovers?

Lastly to the guy in the silver / grey Mazda: a simple equation for you - Mid-afternoon September Light + A Grey Car + Rain & Spray + No Lights = WE CAN'T BLOODY SEE YOU.

Sometimes I wonder why I choose to work so far from home....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Re: Grrrrr

I agree with most of what you are saying but i do drive with rear fogs on when it really pouring with rain for 2 reasons

1. I dont feel that GTV tail lights are very bright
2. I simply dont trust other drivers not to slam me from the rear(ooo err)
AO Silver Member

County: -

Ah, the fabled M6. What a road.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_K View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying but i do drive with rear fogs on when it really pouring with rain for 2 reasons

Sorry - how bright do they have to be in daylight and rain?

Fog lights are for fog QED and bloody thick fog at that. Those of us with halfway decent vision GET GLARE FROM FOG LIGHTS IN RAIN.

Seriously - please consider that the fact you have these concerns might indicate that you think everyone else sees things as you do. Perhaps your vision has deteriorated?

Last edited by PaulR; 12-09-08 at 23:00.
AO Silver Member

On a similar note, .... hang on, just checked, we are in the rant room good...... normally I want people to pull over fairly quickly after they overtake to keep things moving in the outer lanes, but; why do so many people not realise that when it is hammering down with rain, they are dragging a 50 yard stretch of spray behind them; so if the pull over too soon after an overtake they are blinding the driver behind
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 13-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf Q2

I'd have thought having foglights on would make you more likely to be rear-ended if anything. Yesterday was a good case - my wipers were going full pelt, but still struggling to clear the windscreen (hence why I slowed) but all I could see was a red blur caused by the light from his foglight refracting on the raindrops. Its really hard to judge distance when you can't see properly....
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

I think that rear fogs should be banned. Great idea in principle but are grossly misused so causing more problems for the soon to be very unhappy person following one with these on in any but the most dire foggy conditions.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Sorry - how bright do they have to be in daylight and rain?

Fog lights are for fog QED and bloody thick fog at that. Those of us with halfway decent vision GET GLARE FROM FOG LIGHTS IN RAIN.

Seriously - please consider that the fact you have these concerns might indicate that you think everyone else sees things as you do. Perhaps your vision has deteriorated?
Sorry i never realised that people who have a different opinion to yours have to be attacked on this forum ( place for reasonable discussion).

As an Optician, I assure you that there are many people driving around without the legal driving vision, but i am not one of them. The rules say you must achieve a VA of at least 6/12 aided with the use of a pair of spectacles. This can be monocular. 6/12 Visual Acuity IMHO this really is not great vision and this legislation should be changed.

Please check your facts before you become personal and offensive to other.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

6C 2500

Why can't manufacturers have it so fog lights are switched off when the ignition is switched off? Then you know who's put them on deliberately and can be dealt with as appropriate.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

I agree with Nige, that rear fog lights are misused, but do see the need for them, in both fog (not light mist) and torrential rain. If you are being dazzled by the foglights, and your windscreen wipers can hardly clear the rain from the windscreen, then slow down and drop back from the car in front, because you are obviously too close to him, for the current conditions. Imagine if there was 100 yards visibility, and the traffic ahead had stopped for some reason. If their lights were off, then at 70 mph (or higher), you would just go straight into them. If they were all lit up, then you would see them, and be able to react accordingly. Most accidents are caused by speed, and failure to react to a situation. Don't make it more difficult by making yourselves invisible.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Highway code says do not use foglights unless visibility is below 100M - which is not a lot. Far too many people switch them on in good visibilty in the self deluded belief that they are being safer.

They're not. They are more, not less vulnerable to a rear end shunt. Brake lights are brighter than sidelights so you can notice them when they come on, yes? Well not when you have rear fogs on. Ipso facto you are more likely to be shunted.

It increases the chances of those behind you having an accident because they simply can't see as well any more. At least there's a good chance that accident might involve Mr safety conscious Fog Light, who contributed to the danger.

It also reduces the following drivers ability to see other stuff, like cyclists or pedestrians.

Last but not least it is specifically against the Highway code and can result in a pull, points and a fine.

So, in summary my feeling is that those who do this deliberately are, frankly foolish, ignorant or selfish and behaving illegally. If I saw an Alfa with fogs on unnecessarily my feelings would be embarassment and annoyance in equal measure. God I'm angry tonight.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Sorry i never realised that people who have a different opinion to yours have to be attacked on this forum ( place for reasonable discussion).

As an Optician, I assure you that there are many people driving around without the legal driving vision, but i am not one of them. The rules say you must achieve a VA of at least 6/12 aided with the use of a pair of spectacles. This can be monocular. 6/12 Visual Acuity IMHO this really is not great vision and this legislation should be changed.

Please check your facts before you become personal and offensive to other.
Sorry Oliver - that really was not my intention. This is the Rant Room so sometimes we go a bit over the top here - on another thread I might have taken a different tack.

I am more than happy to recant - please don't be put off joining in the forum discussions - we are quite nice really............... honest.

Paul.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Sorry Oliver - that really was not my intention. This is the Rant Room so sometimes we go a bit over the top here - on another thread I might have taken a different tack.

I am more than happy to recant - please don't be put off joining in the forum discussions - we are quite nice really............... honest.

Paul.
No problem mate I was a bit quick to snap your head off.....no hard feelings
AO Member

Is this guy one of us???
Incorrect use of fog lights , poor driving conditions, foggy weather, fog lamps, accidents, foggy weather

How do you define "poor visibility" when the HC says it is ok to use rear fogs? Some rainfall is so heavy that the spray bounces off the road in a veritable wall of spray and a vehicle in front without hi-vis rear lights is invisible.
A couple of weeks ago (during those storms) I was caught in rain so heavy I had to lift the visor to try and get vision and found that I couldn't actually breathe through the buckets full of water being thrown at me by everyone else. Only remedy for me was to pull onto a garage forecourt. Vauxhall, MPVs, BMWs etc chose to accelerate through the deluge rather than slow down.

If the hi-viz lights in front are dazzling you, then drop back which surely is sensible in perilous conditions anyway.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:

If I'm on the motorway and I'm really kicking up some spray, I'll switch my fog lights on. However, like in fog, if someone comes up behind me, I'll switch them off.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
On a similar note, .... hang on, just checked, we are in the rant room good...... normally I want people to pull over fairly quickly after they overtake to keep things moving in the outer lanes, but; why do so many people not realise that when it is hammering down with rain, they are dragging a 50 yard stretch of spray behind them; so if the pull over too soon after an overtake they are blinding the driver behind
I always feel bad about that, but what can you do?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Just remembered, when I bought an old BMW 3 series a few years ago, the foglights were stuck on. There was a thing that looked like a blanking plate with a fog light symbol above it. I couldn't work it out, it looked like they were an option that hadn't been ordered on that car or something.

I had to drive it home down the motorway and rightly got loads of flashes and gestures, it was so embarrassing. It was only when I got home and was trying to work out what the hell was happening that I pressed the area in really hard and it popped out. The car had been sitting for a year and the switch had somehow got stuck flush with the dashboard.

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Ex 95 164 TS Super, 95 164 QV, 97 164 V6 Super – all very much missed.
(Post Link) post #18 of 19 Old 18-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf Q2

BN - while you were poking around inside the beemer, did you find the indicator controls? It seems most BMW drivers struggle to find them...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Hahahaha!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page