People who drive under the speed limit - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Nev

People who drive under the speed limit

The scene: a clear road, bright clear weather,
a posted speed 90kph in one direction and
70kph in the other with no overtaking.

Twice today on the same stretch of road
I've been stuck behind people doing ~50.

Why do some people drive so slowly when
there is a clear road/ good visibility/good weather/
no stupid great caravan hitched to their car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Re: People who drive under the speed limit

The worst kind are those who drive at 50 in a 70 zone, and then continue to drive at 50 in a 30 zone. Dangerous for everyone.
AO Silver Member

County: Sao Tome upon The Grand Union

Nev, arent you one of those Brits that the Frogs are trying to lock up for speeding all over thier lovely, traffic-free motorway system?
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by broom_zoeyellow View Post
Nev, arent you one of those Brits that the Frogs are trying to lock up for speeding all over thier lovely, traffic-free motorway system?

No. They don't need an excuse to lock you
up. You just get fitted up instead.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Don't get me started on this.

They do it around here too. Whether they think they are saving fuel or just being extra safe doing 40mph down a single carriageway road where there is no opportunity to overtake, it is just wrong.

Driving slowly and frustrating following drivers into risking an unsafe overtake is just as dangerous as speeding IMO.

Doesn't it say in the highway code that one should drive with consideration for other road users? Driving too slowly is not considerate, especially as many speed limits are too low anyway.

The ones I find worse are older people who dawdle along, then when the see a garden center, they stamp the brakes and swing in without indicating.
The others that are bad seem to be women who drive along playing with their hair. (Awaits incoming)

The reason I swapped my Alfa 156 for my Fiat was because of the need to overtake these slow arses in the shortest time possible.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Silver Member

County: -

Not as bad as the old chap doing a steady 20mph on the M11 the other week. He must have been at least 200 years old, this bloke, and was straining to see over the steering wheel. Wasn't long though before the plod arrived and forced him onto the shoulder. I did feel sorry for him slightly. He looked so confused. But, better off the road.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

50 in a 70 area is not bad. Sometimes I do drive below the limit but not if there is a clear road ahead
HSTDriver

It depends entirely on the situation. On some roads/conditions, driving at the speed limit would be incredibly dangerous. On others, you can sit at the limit and feel that you'd be happier going way, way faster, without comprimising safety.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

It happens here all the time - come out of a 30 zone onto a 60 strech and the number of people who drive at 35 is amazing.

If they can paint the road to show 30 to slow you down why cant they paint 60 on the opposite side of the road to ensure you go a bit quicker and why are the national speed limit signs on the right hand opposite kerb as well.

A fair few accidents on this strech of road with a few people killed every year trying to overtake people doing 35.

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 505
County: Victoria

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

What I cannot bear is people who travel below the speed limit where it is impossible to pass, then speed up when it is. Now I have my 159 2.4 this is less of a problem...
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Shiny red 159Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1 View Post
What I cannot bear is people who travel below the speed limit where it is impossible to pass, then speed up when it is. Now I have my 159 2.4 this is less of a problem...
Ugh, that drives me crazy

But, as you say.........
AO Platinum Member

Our environmental/heath and safety adviser has just stuck up a notice saying that to help the environment we should all slow down, and that a modern car is most fuel efficient between 30 and 50mph.

Not only is that completely false (it is 56mph apparently) it also encourages people to drive too slowly.

The bloke is a ****** anyway, so I doubt many pople would take note of it.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

My car is most efficient at around 6500rpm. The levels of personal enjoyment it returns are far greater than if it's doing, say, 1500
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
My car is most efficient at around 6500rpm. The levels of personal enjoyment it returns are far greater than if it's doing, say, 1500
I like your way of thinking. Its not the Miles per gallon, but the smiles per gallon that is most important.

Now that the schools are back and most of the midlanders have returned home to their daily grind (and their habit of doing 30 around bends but accelerating at full pelt down the straights), the roads of mid wales are slowly filling with old, retired couples who drive their (invariably) japanese/korean motor at 25mph because "it's plenty fast enough" while causing massive tailbacks. THANK THE LORD for Twinspark acceleration....
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

I don't mind people going slowly. Its when they go slowly close behind something else going slowly, thus doubling its length.

Other pet hates;

1 Middle laners... obviously
2 People who 'hover' beside you in door mirror blindspots on motorways
3 'Self appointed Policemen' who flash you if you overtake them going beyond the speed limit to do so.
4 People who bring a stream of traffic behind them to a sudden halt to let someone out of a side turning (kind but dangerous)
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Another pet hate

Those drivers that go just slow enough so that other cars/lorries can join from sideroads, then go slower than those vehicles meaning more trucks join the road. This means that when a space appears you have to overtake much more traffic than you would have too if he had kept to the speed limit
And it always happens when I need to be somewhere at a certain time.
HSTDriver

Since I've been riding my 125, I'm forced to ride under the speed limit whenever I reach a bit of fast 'A road' since the bike will only do 60mph comfortably (70mph being right on the red-zone in 5th gear)

so what do I do? I leave a bit earlier, and enjoy my journey, it's amazing how much simpler life is when you're just poodling along happily keeping out of everyones way, letting them rush around and pull their hair out.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Well put HST: The joys of being able to put rubber on the road in 1956, when traffic contained a few horse and carts still. And when the M1 opened in '59/60, well what can I say, only weren't we the fortunate few?

Nowadays driving is so vastly different, and not to have experienced no 70mph max, no speed cameras, no road humps, and no traffic wardens etc.etc. which was a joyful experience so well remembered.: You don't know what you have missed! P.S. KG first wheeled his machine out in about '48,'49? even better, lucky chap.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Since I've been riding my 125, I'm forced to ride under the speed limit whenever I reach a bit of fast 'A road' since the bike will only do 60mph comfortably (70mph being right on the red-zone in 5th gear)

so what do I do? I leave a bit earlier, and enjoy my journey, it's amazing how much simpler life is when you're just poodling along happily keeping out of everyones way, letting them rush around and pull their hair out.
Have you ever thought about a 2 stroke 125 from the 80's/early 1990's? I restored a RD125LC and a TZR125 a few years back. Both would do nearly 90mph on the flat. They would also leave most cars at the lights up to around 60mph

You also get that evocative smell of burned petroil.

I tried the modern 4 stroke bikes, but they are just not as fun, although they are better for pottering about.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Have you ever thought about a 2 stroke 125 from the 80's/early 1990's? I restored a RD125LC and a TZR125 a few years back. Both would do nearly 90mph on the flat. They would also leave most cars at the lights up to around 60mph

You also get that evocative smell of burned petroil.

I tried the modern 4 stroke bikes, but they are just not as fun, although they are better for pottering about.

I do like two strokes, my perfect choice would have been an Aprillia RS, but finding a second hand one that hasn't had the living hell thrashed out of it by a pimply teenager is nigh impossible.

I'll (hopefully) not be on my 125 for long though, before I get on with my proper test and get a real bike, so I suspect this'll be the only 125 I own

I don't think HSTDriver suggested holding up the traffic. Being on a bike, it is not hard for traffic to overtake- assuming the driver is competent. I also dislike the type of driver who is apparently afraid to get within 10mph of the speed limit. The only satisfaction I draw from all that is that a driver who cannot demonstrate and ability to drive at the speed limit would fail their test.

BTW, I think the Aprillia has too much power, or a power/weight ratio which makes it unsuitable for learners.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
The worst kind are those who drive at 50 in a 70 zone, and then continue to drive at 50 in a 30 zone. Dangerous for everyone.
Yup I see this every week on my journey to and from work... I overtake some muppet who's just dawdling along only for them to be attached to my rear bumper in the next village with a 30mph speed limit

Quote:
Don't get me started on this.
They do it around here too. Whether they think they are saving fuel or just being extra safe doing 40mph down a single carriageway road where there is no opportunity to overtake
I see this more often now too .... not so long ago it was just the big supermarket chain's lorries that were causing the hold-ups by going :sw: ing slow on the open road

Quote:
Driving slowly and frustrating following drivers into risking an unsafe overtake is just as dangerous as speeding IMO.
Exactly and I see this quite a bit too

Quote:
My 125LC did go over 90 on the flat (of an airstrip ). Or at least it did after I painted some extra lines on the speedo that was only numbered up to 80...

It was also completely unrideable under 6000rpm and definitely not suitable for a learner!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davylynne View Post
My 125LC did go over 90 on the flat (of an airstrip ). Or at least it did after I painted some extra lines on the speedo that was only numbered up to 80...

It was also completely unrideable under 6000rpm and definitely not suitable for a learner!
They are a hell of a lot of fun though.

I derestricted mine with a Micron exhaust and a bigger main jet. I also got a mate to do some porting modifications.

It was also dead up to 6k, then the front wheel would come up, although I did have some problems with the clutch slipping on some occasions.

The RD non YPVS engine was definitely better than the YPVS unit fitted to the TZR. Especially as the power valve was locked down on UK bikes.

The TZR handles better though.

Happy days they were.

I may buy another one to restore one day, if I can find another one in salvageable condition.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page