Lorry drivers blocking traffic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 29-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Lorry drivers blocking traffic

Whenever the traffic queues up on the Puddletown bypass, instead of using both lanes and merging in turn, everybody seems to go to the left immediately. Then you get lorries who use both lanes to block traffic in the outside lane. I usually end up pulling in quite early, but sometimes when I see these lorries blocking the road, I get quite tempted to pull out and round them to overtake them. What right have they got to block the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Lorry drivers blocking traffic

Just think you're lucky we're not in france ... they block the roads for ANY and EVERY reason (not just that they don't like being overtaken)
AO Silver Member

trucks do that in roadworks to stop the idiots in bmw's and audis from staying in the outside lane right up to the cones then forcing their way in holding everyone else up. the earlier everyone gets into one lane the quicker everyone gets through the roadworks, how sodding anoying is it when you move over in plenty of time only to be overtaken by ******s in vans and bmw's who think they are special and dont have to queue and drive right up to the cones and expect to be let in at the front.

i guess they do the same for this bypass for the same reason, they wouldnt have to if everyone else didnt move over too early which is very unusual, everyone usually leaves it to the last minute .
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
trucks do that in roadworks to stop the idiots in bmw's and audis from staying in the outside lane right up to the cones then forcing their way in holding everyone else up. the earlier everyone gets into one lane the quicker everyone gets through the roadworks, how sodding anoying is it when you move over in plenty of time only to be overtaken by ******s in vans and bmw's who think they are special and dont have to queue and drive right up to the cones and expect to be let in at the front.

i guess they do the same for this bypass for the same reason, they wouldnt have to if everyone else didnt move over too early which is very unusual, everyone usually leaves it to the last minute .
Not sure I agree with this.

I think that the best way to cope with the ' two lanes into one ' scenario is to use both lanes for as long as possible and then at the choke point filter in from each lane one by one. This of course depends on everyone behaving rationally and perhaps that this is where it falls down as incipient road rage takes over........ This is not my theory by the way, was from some study I saw somewhere but have to say that it makes sense to me.

I think that Prof Wolff ( of Great Egg Race fame ) did an experiment some years ago about the perception that you you always seemed to be in the slowest moving lane in any traffic jam was just that, a perception. Have to say that I still perceive that I always seem to end up in the slowest lane, just like supermarket checkouts !
AO Silver Member

County: Sao Tome upon The Grand Union

its simple physics though...the bottleneck effect...slow in but speeds up once through the neck...
nige005, youre right because the truckers arent using their noodle to alow traffic to flow naturally, thus artificially creating a bottleneck further up and allowing stop and go waves.
nobody said they were clever...sorry to any truckers out there...but you're not helping by straddling two lanes
AO Gold Member

County: -

I have to agree with Nige005 too. The cones are there to filter two lanes in to one.....you don't have to get into lane at the earliest opportunity AFAIK.

It always amazes me when driving, how many people will go out of their way to keep everyone behind them. I use a zip lane every night and am totally p'd off with drivers who refuse to let you filter one on one - because they had to queue so why didn't you??? Well, actually, it's because I'm using the zip lane like you're supposed to!!!

Unfortunately, I think there is a bit of the same mentality when you get a lane closure - everyone is entitled to use whichever lane is most convenient then merge at the end - if they chose to join the end of the longest queue, that's their choice.

And who appointed lorry drivers to tell us how we should and shouldn't drive anyway?

Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your Heart...pursue those
HSTDriver

If people filtered when they have the chance, rather than reaching the end of the 'closing' lane regardless of how many opportunities they've had to merge, then things would flow a lot smoother and faster.

When you see a signe that says a lane is closing in 800 yards, that means you have 800 yards in which to merge safely, not 750 yards to overtake as many cars as you can before cutting someone up

AO Silver Member

I have a similar problem on the A14 westbound at the M11 junction everyday. Its clearly marked that the inside lane is for the A14/M11 and the outside lane is for the A428 only, yet so many people leave it till the last minute to pull in that they frequently have to anchor up and stop while they wait for someone to let them in. If people pulled in earlier when there were gaps then everyone would keep moving. I have often had to slam on the the anchors as some stupid person has left it too late to pull over safely and has resorted to stamping on the brakes. I've seen lorrys do it too but not nearly as often.

Never Test The Depth Of Water With Both Feet.
scsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Not sure I agree with this.

I think that the best way to cope with the ' two lanes into one ' scenario is to use both lanes for as long as possible and then at the choke point filter in from each lane one by one. This of course depends on everyone behaving rationally and perhaps that this is where it falls down as incipient road rage takes over........ This is not my theory by the way, was from some study I saw somewhere but have to say that it makes sense to me.
Nige005 is right. Merging too early just moves the bottleneck back. Leaving it until the last 50m or so makes best use of the available road. The most efficient merges are the ones with the 'Merge in turn' signs right up at the blockage; everyone knows what's expected and does the right thing without getting hot under the collar about it.

If you merge too early you are extending the hold-up back unnecessarily far - possibly blocking junctions and extending the chaos onto other roads.

And if you then get annoyed at the people who are doing it right - well......

I hate that aswell, really gets my blood boiling
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn GT View Post

And who appointed lorry drivers to tell us how we should and shouldn't drive anyway?
This can be particularly annoying. Was on the M11 near Stanstead a couple of years ago and there was a series of hold ups, one jam followed by about two miles of clear road before another jam. It just so happened that I was first behind a lorry that was in the front of the queue, this thing was belching out black smoke that was choking us. When the road was clear for a couple of miles ahead he refused to pull over from the outside lane and then was joined by a ' friend ' in the inside lane, effectively completely blocking me in, we proceeded along a clear section of the M11 at 25mph.

I did eventually escape from this trap, not going to say how...... What gave these two HGV drivers the right to dictate how I and the dozens of others behind me were driving ? They caused mayhem behind them and for what ?

By the way, I'm not trying to start a debate here about HGV drivers, we've been through this before ! Suffice to say that there are good and bad HGV drivers, just as there are good and bad car drivers.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsc View Post
Nige005 is right. Merging too early just moves the bottleneck back. Leaving it until the last 50m or so makes best use of the available road.

Leaving it until the last 50m or so even when you've driven past several perfect opportunities to merge is just ignorant.

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

I always try to use the merge lane as much as possible rather than pull into the queue 2 miles before I need to - as the poster above says; when I see that the lane closes in 800 or 400 yards I make sure I merge safely in well in advance - BUT even if I leave it til 398 yards and pull in 2 yards short of the closure I can guarantee there'll be a 3 or 5 series Beemer up my jacksie who'll still go past me before sticking on his indicator and pushing into the last 50cm.....

You go in too early, you get mugged off by everyone going past you. You go in too late, you get the queueing nazis blocking you from getting in. You leave it til the last second you are an ignorant [email protected] and you still get overtaken.... Basically it's a balls up whichever way you do it.

Self policing Lorry drivers don't help. They are only useful if you happen to be in front of them since they stop people coming past you.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

wait, is this being confused with roadwork style merges ie right hand lane pushes over and bottle neck merges, where the lane markings vanish??

kinda like the end on the A3 it merges 3 into 1 and these lanes are pushed into the middle
scsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Leaving it until the last 50m or so even when you've driven past several perfect opportunities to merge is just ignorant.
It's not 'ignorant' if everyone does it, in turn, at the same point. Far from it, in fact, you'll be following the latest version of the highway code.

"Roadworks misery and the congestion that goes with them could be radically reduced, according to the IAM ( Institute of Advanced Motorists ), if UK motorists take on board new advice in the Highway Code published today (28 September 2007)."

See full article at Institute of Advanced Motorists | IAM News | NEW HIGHWAY CODE COULD HELP CUT CONGESTION

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsc View Post
It's not 'ignorant' if everyone does it, in turn, at the same point.

Which is like saying all our journeys would be much quicker and safer if correct lane discipline were used, and we all travelled at constant speed, and at constant distance from the car in front.

Yes it's true, but it aint gonna happen, because people have the 'i'm more important/special, and my journey can't be held up by 10 seconds' mentality.

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Whenever the traffic queues up on the Puddletown bypass, instead of using both lanes and merging in turn, everybody seems to go to the left immediately. Then you get lorries who use both lanes to block traffic in the outside lane. I usually end up pulling in quite early, but sometimes when I see these lorries blocking the road, I get quite tempted to pull out and round them to overtake them. What right have they got to block the road?
Just count yourself lucky you've never had a lorry coming the wrong way down the Puddletown bypass towards you...I needed some new underwear that day.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

We do it cus we can cus we are bigger!! TBH I only do this when I see people queing up behind me then all of a sudden swerving out and overtaking all the queing traffic especially at roundabouts so I do block both lanes. On single carridgeway queing for r/b wait till they get near then move out and sit on the white line dont let them past. Where do they get the right to overtake everybody else they should just sit and wait their turn. As Nige says there are good drivers and bad ones like everything in life, let you decide which one I am but I think I know.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

i dont like that, especially when i am going a different way to the queing traffic at the roundabout, to be held back by a truck that thinks i am overtaking, yet this happens all the time
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosive alfa View Post
i dont like that, especially when i am going a different way to the queing traffic at the roundabout, to be held back by a truck that thinks i am overtaking, yet this happens all the time
Ah sorry mate
(Post Link) post #21 of 38 Old 01-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
Just count yourself lucky you've never had a lorry coming the wrong way down the Puddletown bypass towards you...I needed some new underwear that day.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Jim View Post
We do it cus we can cus we are bigger!! TBH I only do this when I see people queing up behind me then all of a sudden swerving out and overtaking all the queing traffic especially at roundabouts so I do block both lanes. On single carridgeway queing for r/b wait till they get near then move out and sit on the white line dont let them past. Where do they get the right to overtake everybody else they should just sit and wait their turn. As Nige says there are good drivers and bad ones like everything in life, let you decide which one I am but I think I know.
Sorry Jim, but you drive a lorry - that doesn't mean you have been appointed to lay down the law on driving. What makes you a better judge of what is right or wrong than anyone else? I'm sure for every hundred drivers on the road there are a hundred different opinions and if we all went around imposing our interpretation of the highway code on everyone else, there'd be chaos.

I agree it's really annoying when drivers do things you don't agree with, but neither of us has the right to take the law into our own hands and make it our mission to stop them. We become no better than them in the end!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Yeah I no what your saying and I totally agree with you. I am in no way a perfect driver and these people doing these daft things probally dont see anything wrong with what they are doing. Hate to say it that its a male thing you never see women doing it think its all bravardo! Women just hold up the traffic cus they dont do the speed limit or overtake same as the oldies!
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

I must admit that I am an advocate of using as many lanes as possible until it is impossible to do so.
If the lane is not there to be used, why put it there in the first place ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I agree with HSTdriver on this one - pull over with good time and the traffic will flow better - the issue come when you get to the cones and someone tries to barge in and the other car now has to stop causing everyone else in line to do the same.

get over early when traffic is moving.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page