Why is it when people lay concrete do they make sure it'll survive a nuclear winter?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 23-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Why is it when people lay concrete do they make sure it'll survive a nuclear winter??

I've been tasked this weekend with removing a concrete path in our back garden ... so I prepared myself, borrows a Kanga of one of my mates (just a small one as it's only a path) and set to it this morning ...

Only to find that the path is between 15cm and 30cm thick of solid concrete!!!! why would anyone make a footpath that thick of concrete? how long do they honestly expect it to stay there? Forever??? What do they expect to go along this path an Elephant????

Today I've managed to break up 43m ... I've got about another 35m to go and then I've got some old foundations of a greenhouse to do, I dread to think how thick that will be ... I might be on the phone asking to borrow the big one they use to dig up roads ...

Alfa 156 10v 2.4 JTD + AHM fitted Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
AHM 200+BHP remap, Q2, 8C Alloys, GTA lights, Leather Interior...

CarPuter Spec: Gigabyte MA785GM Motherboard,2Gb Ram,
AMD Athlon X2 5050e Socket AM2 45W CPU,
K8061 D/A converter, M4 ATX PS, 60Gb SSD, Garmin x20 GPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Why is it when people lay concrete do they make sure it'll survive a nuclear wint

Dynamite.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Why is it when people lay concrete do they make sure it'll survive a nuclear wint

Garden part of a WWII B17 Runway perhaps? No, they were even thicker, like approx 10'.:
paintergirl

I'd be checking Yellow Pages me

VO2Max

Chris, if you liked your concrete path and it developed a large crack, would you not be cursing whoever laid it, for not laying it thick enough?

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

The people who paid for it originally got a good deal. Find out who laid it and employ them if ever you want another path.

Believe me most "builders" who put a path down for you will use stiff cardboard.

Edit: - I seem to have posted concurrently with VO2- we are obviously of one accord.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:- Only to find that the path is between 15cm and 30cm thick of solid concrete!!!! why would anyone make a footpath that thick of concrete? how long do they honestly expect it to stay there? Forever??? What do they expect to go along this path an Elephant????

Maybe the house was owned by bigfoot on here?
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 24-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I was half hoping to find the remains of a dead body so I could ring up the police and get them to dig the rest up
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 24-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Chris, if you liked your concrete path and it developed a large crack, would you not be cursing whoever laid it, for not laying it thick enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
The people who paid for it originally got a good deal. Find out who laid it and employ them if ever you want another path.

Believe me most "builders" who put a path down for you will use stiff cardboard.

Edit: - I seem to have posted concurrently with VO2- we are obviously of one accord.

Oh yes ... and it did have some big cracks where the ground had subsided underneath it ... !!!!
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 24-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

and the world is now back in order ... my opinion of lazy builders has come back ... as I worked down the garden the path got thinner and thinner until by the end it was only 3cm deep perfect ...

Oh and I did find a dead body ... a mouse, although I'm pretty sure that I killed it given that it's body was still warm ... I did see that 4 of his vermin brothers got away though ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
and the world is now back in order ... my opinion of lazy builders has come back ...
We're not all lazy!!!!

Just most
Global Mod Team

Quote:
and the world is now back in order ... my opinion of lazy builders has come back ... as I worked down the garden the path got thinner and thinner until by the end it was only 3cm deep perfect ...
Yep - sounds like an excellent original job to me - that's just how you would do it.

Paul.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Do you reckon the house owner was watching them at the top end, but had gone away by the time they got to the bottom?
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 25-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I know for a fact that they did, I was talking to my neighbour about the history of my garden, aparently it was proffesionally landscaped about 40 years ago (this path is/was about the only remaining thing left due to years of neglect from previous owners) ... it was a 2 week job and apparently the owners were there for the 1st week and went away on holiday for the second ... nuff said ...
Global Mod Team

Quote:
I... nuff said ...
But was there a problem with the "thinner" end?

It seems to have lasted 40 years with no problem other than being inconvenient to remove. More traffic at the top end so more robust path there.

Still sounds like a bloody good job to me.

Paul.
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 26-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Now I'm no builder but ... when laying a path (or similar structure) that you want to last, I thought you had to lay down several layers, hardcore/scalpings on the bottom, followed by sand then concrete on top ...

... interestingly enough it was where the thickest concrete had been placed was the worst for subsidence/cracks, the thin concrete still looked perfect ...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
I was half hoping to find the remains of a dead body so I could ring up the police and get them to dig the rest up
You should have made an anonymous phonecall to say there was a body hidden underneath

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page