Summer holiday trips to London - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

EddieGTA

Summer holiday trips to London

Don't get me wrong, London needs tourists and there is a lot to do and see with kids in London.

But why do parents insist on getting a train with their 2.4 children, pushchairs and all the other related gubbins during the rush hour

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Summer holiday trips to London

Not as bad as on planes.

Least they are not all in cars.

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

pensioners are the same - they insist on going to the local shopping centre to hog all the seats all day (without actually going in any of the shops). i don't mind them doing that, i just mind them going there in bloody rush hour

Not being funny, But no way on earth would I think of driving to London. A train is always the best option in my experience. They may take up more space, but my goodness it's better then the traffic.
AO Platinum Member

i used to drive into the west end a lot with my old job, mainly the baker street area. had no choice, had to carry a load of kit with me and go and see loads of clients so couldn't realistically be done by train. i didn't mind it actually, i quite enjoy the cut & thrust of driving in central london. the motorway journey there and back was pure hell though
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
pensioners are the same - they insist on going to the local shopping centre to hog all the seats all day (without actually going in any of the shops). i don't mind them doing that, i just mind them going there in bloody rush hour
Yup, you have that precious hour for lunch and can't get a seat or get your banking done because they insist on going out at lunch time, Grrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
Not being funny, But no way on earth would I think of driving to London. A train is always the best option in my experience. They may take up more space, but my goodness it's better then the traffic.
I tried driving in the winter a few years back as the job I had then gave us free parking. It was a nightmare though, and so stressful. It really isn't what you do and how you drive, but London roads are full of nutjobs.

AO Member

County: Merseyside

Quote:
And what will you do when your a pensioner?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevski View Post
And what will you do when your a pensioner?

sit on a beach in the med and laugh at all the cold people back in dear old blighty
AO Member

County: Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
Don't get me wrong, London needs tourists and there is a lot to do and see with kids in London.

But why do parents insist on getting a train with their 2.4 children, pushchairs and all the other related gubbins during the rush hour

jeez, i dunno mate - may be they need to get somewhere too.. for instance to a school, or a hospital, or a doctors appointment. Or perhaps they've decided to go to out for the day and using a car in London is stupid.

It's public transport you selfish, ignorant wannbe - your clearly not as important as you think you are if you have to mingle with the rest of us.

your no doubt the sort of Man who parks in disabled bays and ignores pregnant women with strollers bound by victorian public access

******** <these last two lines are a bit OTT>

Last edited by craig_m67; 17-08-08 at 12:48.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_m67 View Post
jeez, i dunno mate - may be they need to get somewhere too.. for instance to a school, or a hospital, or a doctors appointment. Or perhaps they've decided to go to out for the day and using a car in London is stupid.

It's public transport you selfish, ignorant wannbe - your clearly not as important as you think you are if you have to mingle with the rest of us.

your no doubt the sort of Man who parks in disabled bays and ignores pregnant women with strollers bound by victorian public access

*raises eyebrow* bit harsh that, craig
AO Member

I stand by it.
Indeed, I'd even go out of my way to make room for it.
AO Platinum Member

still harsh in my opinion, from what i know of eddie he's the polar opposite of how you choose to describe him

ah well, i suppose that's the internet for you though - anonimity = a good breeding ground for misunderstanding
AO Member

Quote:
still harsh in my opinion, from what i know of eddie he's the polar opposite of how you choose to describe him
I hope so ... maybe he will rethink his shared use of public transport given on my reaction.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Nothing changes - worked in London from 1973-1984.

Even then people insisted upon travelling with their sprogs during commute times. I had young children then and no way would I travel with them before 10.00.

Still - we cannot infringe upon peoples rights - be fair.

Paul.
AO Member

County: Surrey

have commuted to clapham junction for years,as a rule the only kids on the the train had to suffer the commute just to go to school! in the school holidays there were more kids with mums, but i never understood this for two reasons. 1/ before 10.00 am it costs 3 times the amount to get to london. 2/ its a cattle market i would never put my kids through, the people that do it just don't travel much and don't understand whats what. im sure if they knew they would just delay there journey a bit. getting to work from the s/e ( london)is a nightmare, but i think the comments on parents who don't really know the score is a bit servere

Last edited by buffynorris49; 16-08-08 at 01:23. Reason: spelling again......................!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Having travelled up to London a few times recently for interviews, I can safely say that there are far more - parties of children, mums with pushchairs and screaming children, people with loads of cases and the like, after 9.30 in the morning. I used to commute regularly, and you only ever saw the occasional "non commuter" before 8.30 in the morning. I think our rail system needs overhauling, because we do not have the infrastructure that they have on the continent - efficient, clean, reasonably priced, adequate numbers of carriages. The pricing is something which puts off casual travellers, as has already been pointed out, it is far more expensive to travel before 9.30 in the morning. I have to admit that evening commuter trains, packed with screaming kids stresses everyone out, because you are just trying to get home in one piece after a bad day.
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

Having worked in london last year, and staying in uxbridge, id never drive into london, to busy, congestion charge is just stupid. i used the tube, yea your right its rammed, but its cheaper then the congestion charge, and alot quicker during rush hour. i drove into london once around 10pm and it was still bloody busy. Got to hand it to london, even thou im not keen on public transport, they have a brilliant public transport system, couldnt fault it.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjae View Post
Having worked in london last year, and staying in uxbridge, id never drive into london, to busy, congestion charge is just stupid.

The congestion charge (in its original form) isn't stupid, it works perfectly. Which makes it quite clever indeed.

I work in London and have to drive into work perhaps 40% of the time, and I hate it. The train/tube is much better, and I've only been late once in the last couple of years when I've used it, as opposed to half a dozen times when I've taken the car.

AO Member

County: Hampshire

Try Cambridge in the summer.

The population more than quadruples and it's all foreign students. Can't move for massive 40-50+ person strong groups of Spaniards, Italians, French or Japanese who stand covering an entire road, or filling an entire shop or pub or restaraunt or bus station.

Apparently 'excuse me please' 'could I get through' 'there is a queue you know' and 'get out of my f***ing way you uncouth disrespectful scum' are not phrases tought in English classes in foreign schools

And then if you try to get a train or bus anywhere they are all filling every carriage and smoking and playing rubbish european pop at full volume on their mobile phones - the ones that aren't using said phones to speak at full volume to friends unseen.

Having used the tube regularly after rush hour recently, London is a mere inconvenience compared to the living hell that is Cambridge in full tourist season - all the more amplified by the small city centre and pathetic transport system!
EddieGTA

Quote:
I hope so ... maybe he will rethink his shared use of public transport given on my reaction.
Blimey only just seen this reaction, I thought this was the rant room not the personal insult room

If you re-read my post I am not saying people should not use public transport, it is about the time they use it. I probably should have expanded a bit, but it is quite clear when you see a group of 6 seats taken up by mum, dad the kids and all the paraphenalia they are not going to a hospital or other such appointment that needs them to be there a specific time, they are just on a day out. Of course they should use the train, attempting to drive in would quite frankly ruin any day out. It is just a question of timing, trust me when I say if I didn't have to catch a train at 7:50 and 18:20 I wouldn't. It just baffles me that people don't think it would be much easier for them as well as the regular communters if they caught a train after 9:30 in the morning, and got one back before 17:00 or after 19:00.

And just to answer a few of your insults (sorry comments) I don't ever park in disabled bay, and some time back in a packed district line train I was the only one that did offer my seat to a heavily pregnant woman. It must have been a good 5 minutes or so before I saw her as I was reading through some stuff for work, and in that time no one else had had the courtesy.

I just wonder what those deleted lines said, given what you were willing to post

Thanks
********, AKA EddieGTA.

AO Silver Member

Hi,EddieGTA

It seems that you have fallen foul
of having a view ,
which another Forum member
does not like.
and can only restort
too abuse.to your posting.
I had the same last week,it makes
you wonder why people
bother to post?

For each member has a right of view on
any given subject.
but they do not have the right
To resort to personal abuse.
any poster/member in their replies.

I wonder If this is the price of
we pay for entering forums.
if so ,well I guess its a price
that can be too high
when It drags us down to the level
that I resorted to last week.
I know that I now hesitate
in entering into the spirit
of what was such a friendly
forum.
Though I guess that I have the choice
of using this Qwerty thingee or not.
John.

Luddite
EddieGTA

Again, wise words from you luddite

AO Member

Quote:
I just wonder what those deleted lines said, given what you were willing to post

I didn't delete anything, as you can see from the next poster who quoted me. The edit was to add to my post that yes, my last two lines were indeed over the top (OTT). I don't know you, and i couldn't possibly draw such a negative conclusion about you from your simple generalisation.

But, yes - perhaps you should have expanded upon your thoughts a bit more instead of 'ranting' and insinutating that families with children are selfish to use the public transport during the commuting hour. My disabled (wheelchair) daughter NEEDS to change at Clapham Junction - and I am pretty raw about the selfish attitude of other commuters.
EddieGTA

Quote:
I didn't delete anything, as you can see from the next poster who quoted me. The edit was to add to my post that yes, my last two lines were indeed over the top (OTT). I don't know you, and i couldn't possibly draw such a negative conclusion about you from your simple generalisation.

But, yes - perhaps you should have expanded upon your thoughts a bit more instead of 'ranting' and insinutating that families with children are selfish to use the public transport during the commuting hour. My disabled (wheelchair) daughter NEEDS to change at Clapham Junction - and I am pretty raw about the selfish attitude of other commuters.
Well it wasn't an "insult" but an observation. An insult is calling someone you don't know an ignorant wannabe and a ********.

I hope that from my first post you would not have jumped to the conclusion that I would fit someone who needs wheelchair access in the same rant?

Indeed I would hasten to add that should you need to travel at peak time with your daughter it would cause you problems if any available space is taken up by prams and pushchairs because people are out on a jolly for the day?

I would write some more but I have a train to catch

AO Member

Quote:
Indeed I would hasten to add that should you need to travel at peak time with your daughter it would cause you problems if any available space is taken up by prams and pushchairs because people are out on a jolly for the day?
You miss my point entierly. I have no objection to anybody/volume using public transport. It's not (directly) the publics fault that the infrastructure can't handle the volume.

I do object to one group of people deciding they have more validity to travel at a given time than another group.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page