Mobile phone use......whilst driving - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 14-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Not Happy Mobile phone use......whilst driving

I was driving south on the M6 between Knutsford and Keele in the middle lane in a reasonably fast moving queue of about 60mph going past the long line of HGVs everything was great til we slowed a bit. About 4 vehicles in front was a jeep doing about 55mph in the middle lane wandering laterally; fed up I went passed and it confirmed what I thought; there he was gabbing away with a mobile phone in hand apparently unaware of what he was doing.

When will people learn to stop using their mobiles illegally . I know we have laws we like and dislike, I happen to think this is a good law as driving whilst using a moby, or similar distraction is dangerous.

What do others think do?

[/SIGPIC]
'It's no longer grim up North' www.Flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: Mobile phone use......whilst driving

The Japanese are some of the most technologically savvy people around and yet, they can't ever use bluetooth headpieces for their mobiles. And since they are completely mobile phone-dependent, you often see people driving whilst speaking on the mobile.

Wish they sold a laser to jam these guys' phone connections
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

i've lost count of the number of times i've seen somebody obliviously hogging the middle lane at 50mph whilst on the phone. but of course they're doing it safely as they slowed right down and stayed in the comfort zone of the middle lane. horrible pests.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

The worst example I ever saw, was a young lady, drive down the slip road onto the M2, drive straight across the inside lane, and sit in the middle lane at 60, on the phone. I had to brake, and then pull alongside her in the outside lane. I beeped the horn a few times, but she was oblivious to anything. I gave up and continued, in my mirror I could see her being passed in lanes one, two and four. She was still in lane three, unaware of anything around her.
We nearly got hit on a zebra crossing in Gravesend a few months ago, but we say this driver (another young girl) park up her car. So the missus and myself went to have a few words with her. The reaction was for her to tell us to "F--- Off", because she hadn't hit us. Sadly, this attitude is why things are getting worse in this England I used to love.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Yes but "those sorts of people" will cruise the middle lane at that speed irrespective of whether they're on a mobile or not ...

me?? well I thrash it down the outside lane at 100mph on my mobile

disclaimer: on an autobahn where it is legal to be on a phone at that speed ...
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
T

Wish they sold a laser to jam these guys' phone connections
Here you go BF, lot's of 'em around.....

Jammers
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

It's sadly very common place here in the Midlands. We have hf kits in our cars (B & M + Parrott) but I still feel that this is distracting.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I We have hf kits in our cars (B & M + Parrott) but I still feel that this is distracting.
This is an odd loophole. I'm a Radio Amateur and if you go ' Mobile,' ie the kit is installed in the car where a normal radio head unit would go, I seem to remember that it's not illegal to use it whilst driving although it is strongly discouraged. The only stipulation was that a log book was not required to be maintained as was required by static stations. The Licence conditions changed not too long ago and log books are not legally required to be kept by any station anymore so........ I'd have to look it up though, the law may have changed.
VO2Max

It never ceases to amaze me that so many of the t0ssers who use their handsets in the car are driving Range Rovers (like the tw4t I had an altercation with the other day) and Bentleys (like the one I saw in the car today). Very expensive cars, seemingly so expensive that there's no money left to spend 120 on a Parrot kit!

(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 14-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

I saw two drivers today trying to hide the fact they were using their mobiles whilst driving, one of them had his arm propped up on the window supporting his head with a mobile in hand, to$$er . I wonder if adherence to this law will take as long as it did to accept the ''drink/driving'' laws?

my garmin gps which i can plug into the cigarette lighter of any car cost 105 on ebay and is bluetooth so whilst its pretty naf there is no excuse for anyone fumbling around on a mobile to make or receive a call with the potential to kill cos of distraction.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

indeed, no excuse these days really for using a handheld phone on the move. i bought a new headunit a couple of years ago which a) is much better than the alfa one b) has an ipod jack so no more piles of cd's in the door pocket, and c) has bluetooth for the phone and plays it through the speakers so nice & loud even at autobahn motorway speeds

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page