Would you do this?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Happy :)
AO Member
 
pete3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dundee
Posts: 704

Member car:

Fiesta Zetec S

Madness Would you do this??

last night at work I was called an ****hole by a customer twice because he couldn't buy fuel by cash after 11pm :what: . its been like this for nearly 2 years now!

Why do people think its acceptable to say such things to an employee??
pete3bs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Would you do this??

He is the a-hole

Sorry to read that mate
BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
corbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,610
Re: Would you do this??

I'm not suggesting in any way that he is in the right, because it's just damn rude and he deserves a slap, but is there plenty of signage etc to make people aware that it's card only after 11?
corbo is offline  
paintergirl
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Would you do this??

There are no excuses for swearing at anyone - that's just plain rude.
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 13,116
Re: Would you do this??

Did you explain it nicely, or did you get short with the punter because "it's been like this for nearly 2 years now!". Maybe he wasn't from round those parts..



Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
Status: One foot in, one foot out!
AO Platinum Member
 
zulu ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wgc
County: herts
Posts: 42,278
Re: Would you do this??

Interesting the way society behaves, or rather finds it acceptable to misbehave nowadays. Watched an old chap with his old dog slowly crossing the road close by. Whereupon this young lady steams to a halt in her shiny Audi Sport, shouting abuse at him, telling him to get off the road. :Watched this episode, but don't think he realised his mistake, or heard her rantings, as he may of been a bit deaf? Hope she gets her 'come uppance' arrogant, impatient female!
zulu ferret is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 57 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Happy :)
AO Member
 
pete3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dundee
Posts: 704

Member car:

Fiesta Zetec S

Re: Would you do this??

im one of the night managers so always polite and listen to the customer (oh and signs were up to warn 2 years ago before the change, and nearly every tesco has the same policy), after the second time of being called an a-hole i said very nicely "ok we have establised im a a-hole however i cant change the system" where apon he stromed off with my details to call head office
pete3bs is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Would you do this??

Our guards have some shocking stories to tell. When a train runs late, people's attitudes completely change. Normal, respectable people (businessmen, middle class women, responsible parents - people from all walks of life) suddenly becaomse oblivious to the 'rules' of decency.

Swearing, shouting, screaming at the one person nearby who they can blame. And they target him/her with all their vitriol.

I've witnessed a middle aged woman, very prim and proper, well dressed, well spoken, involved a screaming match with one of our platform staff, and before storming off, she spat in his face. The reason? Her train was 5mins late arriving at the terminal station, and she missed a bus connection, now she'd have to wait another 20 minutes for the next bus
 
paintergirl
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Interesting the way society behaves, or rather finds it acceptable to misbehave nowadays. Watched an old chap with his old dog slowly crossing the road close by. Whereupon this young lady steams to a halt in her shiny Audi Sport, shouting abuse at him, telling him to get off the road. :Watched this episode, but don't think he realised his mistake, or heard her rantings, as he may of been a bit deaf? Hope she gets her 'come uppance' arrogant, impatient female!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtv1 View Post
im one of the night managers so always polite and listen to the customer (oh and signs were up to warn 2 years ago before the change, and nearly every tesco has the same policy), after the second time of being called an a-hole i said very nicely "ok we have establised im a a-hole however i cant change the system" where apon he stromed off with my details to call head office
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Our guards have some shocking stories to tell. When a train runs late, people's attitudes completely change. Normal, respectable people (businessmen, middle class women, responsible parents - people from all walks of life) suddenly becaomse oblivious to the 'rules' of decency.

Swearing, shouting, screaming at the one person nearby who they can blame. And they target him/her with all their vitriol.

I've witnessed a middle aged woman, very prim and proper, well dressed, well spoken, involved a screaming match with one of our platform staff, and before storming off, she spat in his face. The reason? Her train was 5mins late arriving at the terminal station, and she missed a bus connection, now she'd have to wait another 20 minutes for the next bus
Dear God What is happening out there?
 
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Would you do this??

Stress.

That's what's happening.
BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtv1 View Post
last night at work I was called an ****hole by a customer twice because he couldn't buy fuel by cash after 11pm :what: . its been like this for nearly 2 years now!

Why do people think its acceptable to say such things to an employee??
Customer is obviously an idiot for his behaviour.

However not being able to pay for something with REAL (not plastic) money is also an idiotic rule - I suspect this rather than you were the source of his rage.
shlongman35 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
corbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,610
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtv1 View Post
im one of the night managers so always polite and listen to the customer (oh and signs were up to warn 2 years ago before the change, and nearly every tesco has the same policy), after the second time of being called an a-hole i said very nicely "ok we have establised im a a-hole however i cant change the system" where apon he stromed off with my details to call head office
Ah Tesco's is it. I think I have been in the same situation. The difference was I said "ok then" and produced a debit card.
corbo is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,789
Re: Would you do this??

folks just need to chill out a lot more....to many think shouting and ranting is going to get them what they want.....wrong......

Mussaaaa
braddersR is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
badgers_nadgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 7,154

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: Would you do this??

I don't think I could ever bring myself to part with the amount of cash it costs me to fill up, so it's card every time anyway.
badgers_nadgers is offline  
Status: ready to race
AO Silver Member
 
rafe005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 5,245

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Re: Would you do this??

He is obviously a very angry man because he has a small winky
rafe005 is offline  
Status: quo ante bellum
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
Stewart1's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 505
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 1,245

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Re: Would you do this??

Well he is obviously an unpleasant person - but is it legal in the UK to demand payment in other than legal tender? I remember years ago at university (this is in Australia, but the same common law system applies) the union decided to introduce a policy that it would refuse payment in dirty or torn notes. Bad move in a place full of law students. Someone quickly produced some ancient case law that said that if payment was offered in legal tender, but refused, then the buyer was entitled to the goods. End of policy.

I hope also to find something in common law about not impeding the King's highway that would render speed humps illegal.

Last edited by Stewart1; 11-08-08 at 12:24.
Stewart1 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 2,263
Re: Would you do this??

BF's right unfortunately. None of us have time to stop and relax anymore. We are all working more hours to pay for the higher bills, the roads are all clogged up all the time making even the journey to and from work a stressful environment. People are finding it hard to cope, so when something trivial comes along its seen as something else to add to the pile. I'm sure most of these people dont mean it and probably dont even realise what they are doing.
Alfaspeed is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
corbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,610
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1 View Post
Well he is obviously an unpleasant person - but is it legal in the UK to demand payment in other than legal tender? I remember years ago at university (this is in Australia, but the same common law system applies) the union decided to introduce a policy that it would refuse payment in dirty or torn notes. Bad move in a place full of law students. Someone quickly produced some ancient case law that said that if payment was offered in legal tender, but refused, then the buyer was entitled to the goods. End of policy.

I hope also to find something in common law about not impeding the King's highway that would render speed humps illegal.
I must admit I thought legal tender was just that and could not be refused.
corbo is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 2,917
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
I must admit I thought legal tender was just that and could not be refused.
See Legal tender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The right, in many jurisdictions, of a trader to refuse to do business with any person means a purchaser cannot demand to make a purchase, and so declaring a legal tender other than for debts would not be effective."

However, given that Tesco's are not refusing to do business (as they will accept a card) then I think that technically they are in the wrong. Still doesn't mean pete is an A-hole though.
Monty is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
corbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,610
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
See Legal tender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The right, in many jurisdictions, of a trader to refuse to do business with any person means a purchaser cannot demand to make a purchase, and so declaring a legal tender other than for debts would not be effective."

However, given that Tesco's are not refusing to do business (as they will accept a card) then I think that technically they are in the wrong. Still doesn't mean pete is an A-hole though.
No...lol...I'm not trying to find justification via the legal system to prove that Pete is in fact an A-hole...just analysing the story.
corbo is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
danant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Ayrshire
Posts: 1,061

Member car:

156 JTS

Re: Would you do this??

Where I work we tend to et loads of abuse from our customers. Been called all sorts of things, sworn at and threatened. Doesn't usually bother me but it does get to many of the other staff members in he office.

Due in court in September as a witness in a case where a colleague intervened asking a customer who was ranting at me to calm down. Person turned round and told my colleague it was "none of his f****** business" and that he would kill him if he saw him outside. I work in a jobcentre and had to tell the guy he wasn't getting money he wasn't actually due in the first place.
danant is offline  
Status: Outside Context Problem
AO Silver Member
 
Dfens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 2,592
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
I must admit I thought legal tender was just that and could not be refused.
Try spending a Northern Ireland banknote or a Scottish one South of the border and despite having the word STERLING emblazoned on it it's amazing how many people act like you've just handed them Monopoly money.
Dfens is offline  
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: Would you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Stress.

That's what's happening.
My parents fought in a war, had their brothers slaughtered and bombs raining down over their houses. In all that stress and grief people were civil and caring.

I'm not convinced its stress.

It's just plain nastiness.... that is going unchecked.
David Jarrett is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Would you do this??

I'd probably do the same, card only after 11 WTF IS THAT ABOUT???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

G5een is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol
Posts: 5,002
Re: Would you do this??

The guy was clearly out of order, but I can understand the frustration of a individual in a society where people are expected to conform to random prescriptive rules with little flexibility; and where the rule makers then protect themselves by using their workers and their "company policy" as a barrier.
mave is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome