Would you do this?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dundee

Member car:

Fiesta Zetec S

Madness Would you do this??

last night at work I was called an ****hole by a customer twice because he couldn't buy fuel by cash after 11pm :what: . its been like this for nearly 2 years now!

Why do people think its acceptable to say such things to an employee??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: Would you do this??

He is the a-hole

Sorry to read that mate
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

I'm not suggesting in any way that he is in the right, because it's just damn rude and he deserves a slap, but is there plenty of signage etc to make people aware that it's card only after 11?
paintergirl

There are no excuses for swearing at anyone - that's just plain rude.

AO Platinum Member

Did you explain it nicely, or did you get short with the punter because "it's been like this for nearly 2 years now!". Maybe he wasn't from round those parts..

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Interesting the way society behaves, or rather finds it acceptable to misbehave nowadays. Watched an old chap with his old dog slowly crossing the road close by. Whereupon this young lady steams to a halt in her shiny Audi Sport, shouting abuse at him, telling him to get off the road. :Watched this episode, but don't think he realised his mistake, or heard her rantings, as he may of been a bit deaf? Hope she gets her 'come uppance' arrogant, impatient female!
(Post Link) post #7 of 57 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dundee

Member car:

Fiesta Zetec S

im one of the night managers so always polite and listen to the customer (oh and signs were up to warn 2 years ago before the change, and nearly every tesco has the same policy), after the second time of being called an a-hole i said very nicely "ok we have establised im a a-hole however i cant change the system" where apon he stromed off with my details to call head office
HSTDriver

Our guards have some shocking stories to tell. When a train runs late, people's attitudes completely change. Normal, respectable people (businessmen, middle class women, responsible parents - people from all walks of life) suddenly becaomse oblivious to the 'rules' of decency.

Swearing, shouting, screaming at the one person nearby who they can blame. And they target him/her with all their vitriol.

I've witnessed a middle aged woman, very prim and proper, well dressed, well spoken, involved a screaming match with one of our platform staff, and before storming off, she spat in his face. The reason? Her train was 5mins late arriving at the terminal station, and she missed a bus connection, now she'd have to wait another 20 minutes for the next bus

paintergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Interesting the way society behaves, or rather finds it acceptable to misbehave nowadays. Watched an old chap with his old dog slowly crossing the road close by. Whereupon this young lady steams to a halt in her shiny Audi Sport, shouting abuse at him, telling him to get off the road. :Watched this episode, but don't think he realised his mistake, or heard her rantings, as he may of been a bit deaf? Hope she gets her 'come uppance' arrogant, impatient female!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtv1 View Post
im one of the night managers so always polite and listen to the customer (oh and signs were up to warn 2 years ago before the change, and nearly every tesco has the same policy), after the second time of being called an a-hole i said very nicely "ok we have establised im a a-hole however i cant change the system" where apon he stromed off with my details to call head office
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Our guards have some shocking stories to tell. When a train runs late, people's attitudes completely change. Normal, respectable people (businessmen, middle class women, responsible parents - people from all walks of life) suddenly becaomse oblivious to the 'rules' of decency.

Swearing, shouting, screaming at the one person nearby who they can blame. And they target him/her with all their vitriol.

I've witnessed a middle aged woman, very prim and proper, well dressed, well spoken, involved a screaming match with one of our platform staff, and before storming off, she spat in his face. The reason? Her train was 5mins late arriving at the terminal station, and she missed a bus connection, now she'd have to wait another 20 minutes for the next bus
Dear God What is happening out there?

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Stress.

That's what's happening.

Quote:
last night at work I was called an ****hole by a customer twice because he couldn't buy fuel by cash after 11pm :what: . its been like this for nearly 2 years now!

Why do people think its acceptable to say such things to an employee??
Customer is obviously an idiot for his behaviour.

However not being able to pay for something with REAL (not plastic) money is also an idiotic rule - I suspect this rather than you were the source of his rage.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Ah Tesco's is it. I think I have been in the same situation. The difference was I said "ok then" and produced a debit card.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire

folks just need to chill out a lot more....to many think shouting and ranting is going to get them what they want.....wrong......

Mussaaaa
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I don't think I could ever bring myself to part with the amount of cash it costs me to fill up, so it's card every time anyway.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

He is obviously a very angry man because he has a small winky
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 505
County: Victoria

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Well he is obviously an unpleasant person - but is it legal in the UK to demand payment in other than legal tender? I remember years ago at university (this is in Australia, but the same common law system applies) the union decided to introduce a policy that it would refuse payment in dirty or torn notes. Bad move in a place full of law students. Someone quickly produced some ancient case law that said that if payment was offered in legal tender, but refused, then the buyer was entitled to the goods. End of policy.

I hope also to find something in common law about not impeding the King's highway that would render speed humps illegal.

Last edited by Stewart1; 11-08-08 at 12:24.
AO Silver Member

County: -

BF's right unfortunately. None of us have time to stop and relax anymore. We are all working more hours to pay for the higher bills, the roads are all clogged up all the time making even the journey to and from work a stressful environment. People are finding it hard to cope, so when something trivial comes along its seen as something else to add to the pile. I'm sure most of these people dont mean it and probably dont even realise what they are doing.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1 View Post
Well he is obviously an unpleasant person - but is it legal in the UK to demand payment in other than legal tender? I remember years ago at university (this is in Australia, but the same common law system applies) the union decided to introduce a policy that it would refuse payment in dirty or torn notes. Bad move in a place full of law students. Someone quickly produced some ancient case law that said that if payment was offered in legal tender, but refused, then the buyer was entitled to the goods. End of policy.

I hope also to find something in common law about not impeding the King's highway that would render speed humps illegal.
I must admit I thought legal tender was just that and could not be refused.
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
See Legal tender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The right, in many jurisdictions, of a trader to refuse to do business with any person means a purchaser cannot demand to make a purchase, and so declaring a legal tender other than for debts would not be effective."

However, given that Tesco's are not refusing to do business (as they will accept a card) then I think that technically they are in the wrong. Still doesn't mean pete is an A-hole though.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
See Legal tender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The right, in many jurisdictions, of a trader to refuse to do business with any person means a purchaser cannot demand to make a purchase, and so declaring a legal tender other than for debts would not be effective."

However, given that Tesco's are not refusing to do business (as they will accept a card) then I think that technically they are in the wrong. Still doesn't mean pete is an A-hole though.
No...lol...I'm not trying to find justification via the legal system to prove that Pete is in fact an A-hole...just analysing the story.
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Where I work we tend to et loads of abuse from our customers. Been called all sorts of things, sworn at and threatened. Doesn't usually bother me but it does get to many of the other staff members in he office.

Due in court in September as a witness in a case where a colleague intervened asking a customer who was ranting at me to calm down. Person turned round and told my colleague it was "none of his f****** business" and that he would kill him if he saw him outside. I work in a jobcentre and had to tell the guy he wasn't getting money he wasn't actually due in the first place.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
Try spending a Northern Ireland banknote or a Scottish one South of the border and despite having the word STERLING emblazoned on it it's amazing how many people act like you've just handed them Monopoly money.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Stress.

That's what's happening.
My parents fought in a war, had their brothers slaughtered and bombs raining down over their houses. In all that stress and grief people were civil and caring.

I'm not convinced its stress.

It's just plain nastiness.... that is going unchecked.

I'd probably do the same, card only after 11 WTF IS THAT ABOUT???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

AO Silver Member

The guy was clearly out of order, but I can understand the frustration of a individual in a society where people are expected to conform to random prescriptive rules with little flexibility; and where the rule makers then protect themselves by using their workers and their "company policy" as a barrier.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page