WHY stop smoking? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 10-08-08 Thread Starter

WHY stop smoking?

Am I alone in the realisation that actually preventing people from smoking is ruining the economy?
It sounds far fetched but in reality the govenment were collecting more tax from 20 cigarettes 5 years ago than they were from a gallon of fuel.
No doubt somebody will be along to tell me that smokers are a big drain on the national health service. Thats not strictly true as the tax collected pays for approx two thirds of the NHS.
Pubs up here are closing at an alarming rate because smokers want to smoke whilst they drink, or even after a meal.
So because less people are in the pubs the atmosphere isnt as good and they are less appealing so less people bother to go out anyway.
The price of fuel could (in theory) go down if we could balance the books by collecting more tax elsewhere, this in turn would bring the cost of food down a bit more. thus helping those of us hit by the rising price of mortgages.

It is only my opinion (and I am only sharing it because of the price of fuel) that we should let smokers be. have no smoking pubs if necessary, put the price of fags up another £2 a box of 20. this in turn will drive down the price of fuel and food because of it. Those who want to pay to kill themselves can and the rest of us can be smug in the fact that for the shorter time they will be on the planet they are in fact subsidising the rest of us whilst they do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Re: WHY stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2201 View Post
Am I alone in the realisation that actually preventing people from smoking is ruining the economy?
It sounds far fetched but in reality the govenment were collecting more tax from 20 cigarettes 5 years ago than they were from a gallon of fuel.
No doubt somebody will be along to tell me that smokers are a big drain on the national health service. Thats not strictly true as the tax collected pays for approx two thirds of the NHS.
Pubs up here are closing at an alarming rate because smokers want to smoke whilst they drink, or even after a meal.
So because less people are in the pubs the atmosphere isnt as good and they are less appealing so less people bother to go out anyway.
The price of fuel could (in theory) go down if we could balance the books by collecting more tax elsewhere, this in turn would bring the cost of food down a bit more. thus helping those of us hit by the rising price of mortgages.

It is only my opinion (and I am only sharing it because of the price of fuel) that we should let smokers be. have no smoking pubs if necessary, put the price of fags up another £2 a box of 20. this in turn will drive down the price of fuel and food because of it. Those who want to pay to kill themselves can and the rest of us can be smug in the fact that for the shorter time they will be on the planet they are in fact subsidising the rest of us whilst they do it.
Interesting theory. I have never smoked but seeing some poor guy prosecuted last week for having a smoke in his van is the type of thing you couldn't make up.
mikebrown

1. reduce the price of fags...
2. get more people hooked
3. generate more tax
4. decrease life expectancy
5. reduce pension burden

mike

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

I think the decline in people going to the pub is more to do with the cost of a pint and the current economy rather than people not being able to smoke. I love the smoke free pubs.

Interesting point though, the government must be losing a big income from fag sales. Maybe they legalise crack so they can tax it, they would make a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
1. reduce the price of fags...
2. get more people hooked
3. generate more tax
4. decrease life expectancy
5. reduce pension burden

mike

Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
Maybe they legalise crack so they can tax it, they would make a fortune.
But would it?

Over the counter crack would get more people on it yes?
The over the counter crack would be watered down as to not cause to much damage yes?
People will soon need that stronger hit and start scorin off the dealers yes?
Sales would fall in the chemists, more people on the hard stuff which means less people going to work and more people "on the rob" which in turn means less income tax coming in, more insurance claims so premiums go up which in all leads to a worsened economy.

AO Member

County: Norfolk

Couple of interesting points raised here.
The government will certainly lose out on revenue as tobacco sales fall, and they will continue to fall long-term, because what will be created is a different culture. The harder it becomes to smoke, the more inconvenient it will become to start, so less young people will take it up as time goes by.
One of the results of less people smoking is that more people will live longer. That costs the government more money - pensions, benefits, medical care, etc. I have seen figures that clearly demonstrate that a heavy smoker/drinker that dies of cancer or cirrhosis or something similar before 70 is comparatively cheap compared to a "healthy" 100 year old.
The big problem for the future, and it is massive, is how are we going to be able to raise enough taxation revenue to cope with our ageing population?
The old-age pension was introduced on the basis that it could provide a means of support for people "in the unlikely event" that they exceeded 65! That theory has long been blown away and frankly the figures don't come anywhere near to adding up now - it doesn't bear thinking about what the situation will be in 20 or 30 years time.
Perhaps I should add that I am a lifelong smoker, and I fully accept that it is disgusting and that I have no right to inflict it on anyone else. However I now spend aproximately half what I used to spend in my local boozer. Maybe I should be putting that directly into a pension fund!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2201 View Post
Rubbish.

Total tax revenue from tobacco in 2006/2007 was 10 billion, it is less than this now.

The total budget for in NHS in 1998/99 was 40 billion TEN YEARS AGO.
VO2Max

I don't give a stuff about people smoking - but I don't want to smell it when I go out to a pub or a restaurant or a cinema or any other indoor, enclosed public space, including my workspace. It makes my clothes stink and irritates my airways. I don't want my rights to smoke-free air taken away.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

My National Insurance contributions started in 1955, card stamped up, until I suppose they introduced graduated, then earnings related, which were then deducted. So if I pop off, in a couple of years at 70, you lot can share the rest, as you choose.
AO Gold Member

County: -

OK you can smoke, and I can fart in your face......
AO Platinum Member

Told the cardiologist just the other day, that I got a bit breathless, and accordingly didn't fancy riding my bike much.: He had a student with him, and after he had given me a lengthy and in depth consultation, he said "Let's see if we can get this chap back on his bike?" The medicaments seem to have helped my circulation, by opening up the blood vessels a bit, but the headaches, and flaccidity?: Take your pick on that which you ride? Goodnight Dear, got a headache, but will pedal push tomorrow.Jeez, choices, choices.
VO2Max

ZF, I wouldn't mind betting that a little bit of bike riding will help your headaches and 'flaccidity', with the result that you'll be doing a bit more of 'all sorts' of riding .

mikebrown

i havent had a fag since saturday......

AO Gold Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
i havent had a fag since saturday......
Male or Female....
AO Platinum Member

Well done Mike.: Stopped as I have said on the other thread, ten years past now, but still suffering the after effects of sucking the 'weed':
VO2Max

It's never too late to get the benefits of stopping and gentle exercise will help clear much of the sh*t that you put in your lungs and reduce the damage it would do.

mikebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
Male or Female....

LOL....

Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V