Fuel, why still so high????? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 47 Old 10-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Fuel, why still so high?????

Why are we STILL paying 111.9p a litre for unleaded and 125.9p for diesel???

The cost of oil was the reason for the big increases yes??
Oil peaked at $147 a barrel and fuel (in my area) hit 116.9p and 130.9p. Oil is now trading at $115 a barrel and we've had 5p knocked off the pumps.

Am I missing something???? Oil has come down over 20% yet fuel by less than 5%.

So why does the price at the pumps go up with oil and yet doesn't come down with it???
More to the point, why aren't people protesting??? There was a reason for the price, now there is none.
G5een is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rochester Kent
Posts: 1,830

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Well, when was the last time, that any commodity came down to it's original price after a big hike? I agree that it is wrong, but as you say, why is nobody protesting? This is probably because nobody protests about anything any more, not in any great numbers at least. It is the great British disease of apathy.
andyalfagtv is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 47 Old 10-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

I don't understand why people protested with go slows etc when the price first shot up as oil was to blame. Now that oil has come down, there is no reason for the pump price to stay high.
Do these protesters do so little research that now they have valid reasons they don't even realise it??

I blame the media
And the parents
G5een is offline  
mikebrown
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

even we have our breaking point...the last being the Poll Tax demo's...and its not if, but when it will happen again...sooner rather than later for me....
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,079
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

At oxford services yesterday, unleaded was 120.9p and diesel 136.9p

That is a **** take, as the distribution is easy because it is next to the M40.
symon is offline  
Status: We got there
AO Silver Member
 
Mr_Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 3,189

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

The fuel companies would claim it has something to do with absorbing the rise in the cost of oil and not passing the full cost on, some twaddle like that.
Mr_Caine is offline  
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

The simple answer is that no matter what price the British are asked to pay and whatever Crap the goverment tell you, we wont do anything about it !! bend over please the goverment want to shaft you a little harder
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,079
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
The simple answer is that no matter what price the British are asked to pay and whatever Crap the goverment tell you, we wont do anything about it !! bend over please the goverment want to shaft you a little harder
I totally agree. If this was France there would be rioting at the price of fuel.

The government needs to be reminded that they work for us, not the other way around.
symon is offline  
Status: Wyrd is Life
AO Gold Member
 
Stori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
County: -
Posts: 11,591
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I totally agree. If this was France there would be rioting at the price of fuel.

The government needs to be reminded that they work for us, not the other way around.
And you do that by voting the ******s out, not giving them more terms in office......

Sorry but when people vote Labour (not implying you personally do) , they are actually voting for a party that believes it knows what is best for you.
Stori is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,079
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

I have voted labour in the past, I will admit. I won't be doing it again for a very long time though..
symon is offline  
Watshot
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

They seem to make more of a fuss in the states, what with their 'gas guzzlers' and the huge distances they may be covering.

They can hardly believe it's approaching 50p a litre...........

There's a reason this sceptred isle is called treasure island, perhaps it's the pirate at the helm.......or maybe the one waiting in the wings.
 
Status: Wishing people were nicer
AO Gold Member
 
FredDibnah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Beautiful UK
County: Surrey
Posts: 6,909
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Perhaps a good start to any protest would be to ask the Govt why we pay tax on the tax in petrol.....

We pay VAT on petrol based on the combined cost of the fuel AND the government duty - so in effect we are paying VAT on the tax..... it's bloody extortion.

If a demo focussed on this fact, rather than entering the misty, murky and plain shady world of crude oil prices and their link to pump prices - then the govt couldn't claim "external factors".

Let's start a protest to at least only get taxed once on fuel! We should pay VAT on the raw fuel cost and then add the fuel duty!
FredDibnah is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 47 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Why do people compare countries to one another??? That annoys me too.

I was on the M6 today, 120.9 for a litre of unleaded WTF!!!!!! Thankfully I was in the van so didn't need to fuel up Like symonh says, it's next to a motorway FFS!!

I have voted labour in the past, it's either them or the torys none of the others will get in, not that any of them have better policy's.
G5een is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
corbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,610
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

I agree, paying a tax on a tax is an outrage and more people need to be aware of this fact.

A perition is on the go here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NoVATonFuelDuty/
corbo is offline  
Watshot
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
Why do people compare countries to one another??? That annoys me too.
err....because they get their oil from the same source, so a direct comparison highlights how much we are being ripped off, if you take Europe as an example.

Easy really.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
danant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Ayrshire
Posts: 1,061

Member car:

156 JTS

Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Still paying 114p p/l for unleaded. Strangely was 113p p/l last week - the lowest it had been in a long time.
danant is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,079
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Still 117p here. Nearby Witney is 114p so I fill up on my way through tomorrow.

We don't have a supermarket selling fuel nearby so the prices stay up.
symon is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Buffystar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Shefford Bedfordshire
Posts: 50

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS SV

Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

A good site for you to check the cheapest petrol in your area
Buffystar is offline  
(Post Link) post #19 of 47 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watshot View Post
err....because they get their oil from the same source, so a direct comparison highlights how much we are being ripped off, if you take Europe as an example.

Easy really.
You really haven't thought that ^^ through.
How do you compare a country with an NHS to one without??
G5een is offline  
(Post Link) post #20 of 47 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by danant View Post
Still paying 114p p/l for unleaded. Strangely was 113p p/l last week - the lowest it had been in a long time.
I've noticed it creeping up too. Up a penny here WTF IS GOING ON?!!!!!!!

Oil now $113 a barrel
G5een is offline  
Watshot
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
You really haven't thought that ^^ through.

Well there was some comment about the level of protest abroad which was interesting in terms of the general discussion, but you've got a laughing emoticon so...like...whatever.
 
(Post Link) post #22 of 47 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watshot View Post
Well there was some comment about the level of protest abroad which was interesting in terms of the general discussion, but you've got a laughing emoticon so...like...whatever.
G5een is offline  
Watshot
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

you seem to have missed the point, a forum is for comment and discussion. Everything previous to something 'annoying' you, poor lamb, was valid comment. But it seems you've reached your level ^^

As I don't want to come down there and it was never really that interesting, I'll leave you to play.
 
(Post Link) post #24 of 47 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watshot View Post
you seem to have missed the point, a forum is for comment and discussion. Everything previous to something 'annoying' you, poor lamb, was valid comment. But it seems you've reached your level ^^

As I don't want to come down there and it was never really that interesting, I'll leave you to play.




G5een is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 47 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,522
Re: Fuel, why still so high?????

But seriously how do you compare one country to another when it comes to the cost of fuel??
G5een is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome