Job application - data information - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Job application - data information

Having had a variety of contract/temporary jobs since 2002, I was recently offered a six month contract, which I accepted subject to the references checking out, all quite normal. This morning I have received the official application forms/new starter pack from the employer, and I am alarmed by the amount of information they want to know. They want passport number, two emergency contacts, three work and two personal references. The worst one, is that they want me to detail my employment history for the last five years, including information and explanations for any breaks. I have had between twenty to thirty jobs in that period, including a couple of times when I signed on. I have to say what my duties were at each job, who I reported to, why I left. They say that I can provide continuation sheets if I need to, but in all honesty, my employment history will resemble "War and Peace"!
Just for what it's worth, they are a large US firm in the city, but I will only be employed for six months in a quite basic support capacity.
Is this sort of thing the norm, or am I correct in thinking it is a bit excessive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

GT JTD

Re: Job application - data information

Perfectly normal for an American company, I Had 5 interviews to get my job with an American firm. Good luck.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Pretty much the norm I'm afraid Andy. Having being in similar situations in the past I eventually bit the bullet and spent days getting everything onto the computer so I could print all this stuff off, on the form itself I just put " Please see attached sheet a1 " etc, saved time in the end and no one ever objected to me doing it this way.

Unfortunately it doesn't help you right now but for the future it may be an idea.

Good luck with the new job.
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Thanks folks, I suppose that I am correct in thinking, that it would be impossible for them to check on "foreign" staff to this extent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyalfagtv View Post
Thanks folks, I suppose that I am correct in thinking, that it would be impossible for them to check on "foreign" staff to this extent?
Wrong

Come clean....

Honesty is the best policy

Chris
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

To Chris_B, I have never lied or fabricated information on my CV, in 33 years, and don't intend to start doing so.
The amount of information required is what annoys me slightly. Why should they want me to account for all the breaks in my employment? That is the nature of contract work. This is the first time, that I have been asked for this detail of information, and as I said earlier, it will take pages, and possibly days to collate. This is only for a six month contract after all. There are things, which I believe should remain personal, confidential information - family illnesses/deaths for instance.
Is this something, which is largely confined to US firms, because the scale of intrusion has come as a bit of a shock to me.
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Can only agree that you really need to be honest. I work in a Jobcentre and have seen more than a few folk sign off to start work only to reappear a few weeks later after employer has dismissed them for non disclosure on their applications. Shame really as most of these people were OK and could have done the job, most had done similar work elsewhere but that was not enough to save them from dismissal. Employers (especially large ones) tend to treat it as obtaining employment fraudulently or by deception.

Hi Andy,

Not for a minute I was suggesting that you were planning to lie or fabricate...

But as RSK has said - if you do, they could find out and march you out...

I used to do contract work probably for over 20yrs before taking my current position - and being part of a fortune 250 american corp - The hoops and information and cleverly worded statement regarding convictions...etc. was in the application forms....

But sometimes temp contracts lead to permanent...

Having seen some posts...on personal information such as one from HST - they can be hugely invasive

But If you are just honest about everything its over and done with and you don't have to worry
Nev

Jeeze, have I been out of the loop then.

But I'm sure we still hire strictly on CV/Interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Jeeze, have I been out of the loop then.

But I'm sure we still hire strictly on CV/Interview.
What can you make your mark kind of thing
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
What can you make your mark kind of thing
Yeah, if they they can put an X then
that's pretty good for most engineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Yeah, if they they can put an X then
that's pretty good for most engineers.
Thought so

I have worked with French engineers.....

Can you pump against a closed head - apparently not

Chris
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

If it's a bank, I believe they are required by the FSA to obtain that kind of information for all employee these days.
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
If it's a bank, I believe they are required by the FSA to obtain that kind of information for all employee these days.
Nah, doesn't sound like an FSA requirement (I work for a regulated company and we don't do that for a temp...).
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

If your previous temp contracts have been with agencies, just put the agencies as your employer and detail what things you did. I dont believe you have to say who you were 'hired' out to as thats confidential information!
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 06-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Rafe, it goes much further than that. It wants to know the agencies, start/finish dates, who reported to in the firm, what your duties were.
No abbreviations must be used in addresses.
Any breaks in employment longer than one month must be detailed, what you were doing, and a witness to vouch for this information.
This is not in the banking sector, and not a military/security/government position. It is a basic, average wage job in a large US firm, and I don't really know if I want to work for them.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

May be worth checking with their HR group to see what's really relevant for you. I suspect that you have a standard form which is used for all hires from CEO downwards....

Not suggesting that they won't come back and say "fill it all in" but you might find that they tell you to keep it to the last 5 roles or some such if you speak to them directly maybe.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
Rafe, it goes much further than that. It wants to know the agencies, start/finish dates, who reported to in the firm, what your duties were.
Any breaks in employment longer than one month must be detailed, what you were doing, and a witness to vouch for this information.
This is not in the banking sector, and not a military/security/government position. It is a basic, average wage job in a large US firm, and I don't really know if I want to work for them.
I would contact the agency and find out if its information you can give out. If not (which they usually dont like to do) you can say that you are not allowed to divulge according to your afformention contract with that agency. That way they cant quible without asking you to break a contract........

Quote:
Chap this is all standard mate - and nothing to worry about - I was worried about the wording on the form I had for my current employer as it suggested that I had to disclose spent convictions - so I explained to my VP of operations about my assualt conviction against 2 police officers and the circumstances surrounding the case...He contacted HR at the parent HQ and explained - they asked how long ago? on finding out that - they said its spent - it wont matter if I declared or didn't declare.....I declared it and got the Job....

Now this is for a company that has a high effical and moral outlook and is often voted as one of America's most admired companies...

Just be honest disclose what they ask - and see what happens...

Chris
AO Member

Andy,

I am on contract at Barclaycard, and share some of your frustration, as I had to account for any gaps in my employment history, plus fill-out about 15 different forms. I ended up with a wad of papers more than an inch thick !!

However, when talking to their recruitment team, I was able to satisfy their seemingly impossible requests in fairly practical ways i.e. provide copies of emails to show what I was up to when between contracts. To be honest, I can only see things getting worse on this front, as large corporates try to cover their ar**s !!

In the end you just have to go with the flow to get the work.

Dave

Cars....can't stand the things !!!
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 13-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Well thanks for all the help chaps, I swallowed my pride and indignation and sent it off a few days ago. The agency have just heard back from the firm that it could take three or four weeks to get the information back and OKd. This is a bit of a bummer, because I was due to start on Monday 18th, and there is no way this is going to happen. So, I have spent £40 travelling up to London for two interviews, put my life on hold, whilst I wait for a reply, and will have no money coming in for another month - great! At my age (50) nobody will give me a short term job until then.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Well thanks for all the help chaps, I swallowed my pride and indignation and sent it off a few days ago. The agency have just heard back from the firm that it could take three or four weeks to get the information back and OKd. This is a bit of a bummer, because I was due to start on Monday 18th, and there is no way this is going to happen. So, I have spent 40 travelling up to London for two interviews, put my life on hold, whilst I wait for a reply, and will have no money coming in for another month - great! At my age (50) nobody will give me a short term job until then.
Seems like a decent result Andy, shame you have to wait and have nothing coming in. To cheer you up the last job I had ( MoD, and I'm an Service guy ) took 9 MONTHS interview to start date so it could have been worse !

Keep smiling, you'll get there, and if it's the job you really want it will be worth the wait.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page