Road Angel Group PLC - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 04-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Breraless :(
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 30,126
Madness Road Angel Group PLC

I'm seething

I've just had these on the phone for about 20 minutes (h/f via B & M).

Basically, when I got nicked for speeding in June 2006, I forked out 299 for a Road Angel Plus unit. I registered it online & set up my direct debit for the updates (after the 3 months free updates ended).

No problems. I think it's great and after a couple of tech support issues that were resolved to my complete satisfaction, I decided to buy Clare a used RA+ in December 2006.

We registered it, entered the direct debit issue etc. and off we go with the two units. No problems, updates work fine etc. When the mobile van function was added, I even submitted support tickets for both units as the download didn't go to plan.

Clare's unit went back for repair some months back and we had a new screen fitted for 30. Quick turnaround, good service.

I've always sang their praises and recommended them on here and directly to friends etc (GTleigh bought one) but that stops today

Apparently, they've had a problem with theirsystem and today they've discovered we should have been paying two subscriptions so they phone and ask me how I want to pay the arrears

I basically tell them that we'd played our part, had support on both units and had even sent one back for repair. They know full well we have two units and I state that a direct debit has been going out each month but couldn't say how much it's for as Clare does all the finances (she works for Lloyds TSB).

I state that they have a cheek asking for the arrears as we have done everything that was / is required our end. At no time have I tried to conceal the fact that we have two units.

After much tooing & froing and them saying they'd turn our second unit off, I begrudgingly settled on 3 months arrears and then two RA subscriptions to be paid each month (7.98)

I do not deny having had the service for all these months but it was their **** up. The direct debit was set up and they've only claimed half of it. As far as I knew, it was being claimed. As far as Clare knew, it was being claimed but Clare wouldn't know that they were only claiming half as I do all the RA updating etc.

So, for being loyal to this brand I get shafted. What a cheek

Autoexpress ran a test on these units some weeks back.

I think it's about time I told my old friends there about this shonky practise!!

I feel better now that's off my chest

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Typical modern attitude from a subscription
service provider I'm affraid.
 
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,974
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Sorry but I have no sympathy at all.

You knew how much you originally agreed to pay. You didn't pay it (no dishonesty implied). The fact that you, for whatever reason, didn't check is of no relevance.

You say that you have had excellent service - maybe it's saved you hundreds of pounds in fines. If two subscriptions cost £7.98 a month each then your arrears for three months equal £23.94.

Sorry if I have misunderstood something (and I will apologise if I have) but, on the face of it you do not really have anything substantial to complain about.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
PaulR is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 33 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Breraless :(
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 30,126
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Kind of typical response there from you Paul

The fact is, everything was set up our side and due to their incompetence, they chase us after 15 or so months. It's not as if we hadn't been in contact with them either (second unit in question has even been back for a £30 non-warranty repair) and several support "tickets" had been set up using the unique unit serial number as a reference on their support system.

We get loads of transactions going through our account so there's no way Clare would know if the RA subscription was £3.99 or £7.98. As far as she's concerned we pay Road Angel. She'd have no concept how much.

It's not even the £7.98. That's small change. It's the principal of the matter & the cheek of the company that gets my goat
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,974
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Kind of typical response there from you Paul

The fact is, everything was set up our side and due to their incompetence, they chase us after 15 or so months. It's not as if we hadn't been in contact with them either (second unit in question has even been back for a 30 non-warranty repair) and several support "tickets" had been set up using the unique unit serial number as a reference on their support system.

We get loads of transactions going through our account so there's no way Clare would know if the RA subscription was 3.99 or 7.98. As far as she's concerned we pay Road Angel. She'd have no concept how much.

It's not even the 7.98. That's small change. It's the principal of the matter & the cheek of the company that gets my goat
Perhaps my first sentence was a little brusque - sorry.

However I GENUINELY don't see why you are quite so annoyed about a simple error which has been sorted to mutual satisfaction and to your financial advantage (3 months payment rather than 15).

Whilst I fully appreciate the reasons why Clare would not know the actual costs that really is not, for example, a legal argument, for not knowing what you should be paying.

For what it's worth I don't know what I am/should be paying for loads of stuff either - so if I find myself in arrears I hope I can put my money where my mouth is.

Paul.
PaulR is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

TBH Simon, I think the company is entitled to arrears and you need to pay for it.

However, I think what got you going was the fact that rather than call up and say "sorry, but we noticed we somehow have not been charging you for the second unit, would you be kind enough to double check and if that's the case we'd appreciate your understanding in helping us recuperate the unpaid fees" or something like that, they said "pay up mate or we'll shut your service down".

Yes, they should be admonished for being rude to a loyal client but that's probably the key point of your complaint, not the fact that they actually asked for the money back.

Am I missing something?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.


1934 - 1938 - 1982 - 2006
BigFoot is offline  
Darren156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

I had a Road Angel for about 5 1/2 months (It comes with 6 months free subscription) and it went faulty, I sent it back for repair via Halfords, when I got it back it was still faulty, so I took it back to Halfords who gave me my money back.

Relevant? No. Are Halfords any good? Hmm, little bit.

BUT, in question to the original post of Simons I think they are cheeky *******s personally. Just because they forgot to take out the correct amount of money shouldn't cause you to be down a higher amount of money in one big hit. Thieving bazzers the lot of 'em,

"But you had a service, you should pay up!" cried the disgruntled gentleman at the back.

Nah, I hate all of these types of companies, they give you no leeway and are good for nothing. Scumbags the lot of 'em. They take all your cash just fine, but the second they screw up you're the mug who's got to pay for it. Tell 'em where to stick it.
 
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

I don't think Simon was asked to pay any more than he was due, and in the end actually paid less.
BigFoot is offline  
Darren156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I don't think Simon was asked to pay any more than he was due, and in the end actually paid less.
That's right, I still don't like these companies though, I don't think I like ANY companies to be honest. Everyone's a money grabbing bastid!
 
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

I dont think i'd have paid it mate but i'm a tight Jock. I think you were in the right and you should have stood your ground. They'd have caved rather than lose a customer, trust me.
Jcochrane81 is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

I was going to post somehting similar to what Paul and Biggie posted about a minute after you posted this thread, but decided against it as I thought I might come across a little uncaring and maybe I'd misunderstood what you wrote.

I have to say I agree with them and I'm not sure what your complaining about, how many large companies do you know of that employ people to click a button to move money about, I don't know of any, all systems like tat are generally automated but if something goes wrong at some point it can be hard to figure out for them until they are audited or internal finance pick up on it.

What would you think if you knew that for some technical reason a a few thousand peoples subscriptions had not been taken, what impact does that have on the companies supplying the services bottom line?

Regardless you have received the service, and as such you should pay for it, I think you got off lightly with the retrospective discount on the arrears and should be quite happy with the result.

GhostyDog is offline  
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

No, sorry, I run a business and I love my Road Angel Classic but I'm with Squadrone Rosso on this one.

If it was their error using direct debit (which no doubt minimises their collection costs) then their approach should have been apologetic and placatory.

If you settle a bill for repairs on your Alfa you don't expect the garage to phone you up weeks later and inform you that the bill you paid was £250 shy because they forgot to charge for the wheel bearings......

Perhaps every DD payment ought to state ''in full and final settlement''
David Jarrett is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 33 Old 08-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Breraless :(
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 30,126
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

It was the we've cocked up but you must pay up now attitude that peed me off. Not even a sorry. They even asked me for a card number. I was on the M42 at the time and couldn't reach my wallet it the boot. I'll pay the compromised fee but will most certainly pen a letter of complaint to their MD.
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,974
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
No, sorry, I run a business and I love my Road Angel Classic but I'm with Squadrone Rosso on this one.

If it was their error using direct debit (which no doubt minimises their collection costs) then their approach should have been apologetic and placatory.

If you settle a bill for repairs on your Alfa you don't expect the garage to phone you up weeks later and inform you that the bill you paid was 250 shy because they forgot to charge for the wheel bearings......

Perhaps every DD payment ought to state ''in full and final settlement''
I think there are two schools of thought here.

My school says - "if I owe you I will pay"

Another school says "if you make a mistake - "F" you - I've saved money.

To use your example DJ - I use a local indie to repair my Alfa. If I took it in and a few weeks later they said "Sorry we forgot that wheel bearing" I'd pay up - it would have been a genuine mistake - we have mutual trust- and it will work in my favour next time i.e. they will only charge 2 hours labour when they spent 4.

If you trust people you will:-

a) initally be liable to ripped off
b) ultimately be repaid in kind.




Paul.
PaulR is offline  
Status: Tentatively treading
AO Platinum Member
 
Hamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 15,686
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
If you trust people you will:-

a) initally be liable to ripped off
b) ultimately be repaid in kind.
Very very true.
Hamster is offline  
Rewe
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

A genuine mistake has been made, money is owed but collecting the arrears unexpectedly is unfair on the customer who will not have budgeted for this (I know the amounts are tiny in this case). The normal approach is to have a punt at collecting, but at the first sign of resistance from the customer default to a compromise position. Firms have to balance the cost of settling vs the costs of having to deal with the problem.

Similar thing happened to me recently when a gas bill for over £2000 landed on my mat. It turned out that I had been paying for my neighbours gas for the last ten years, but not for the gas going through my own meter. My neighbours used a LOT more gas than I did. I owed a lot of money, I was owed a lot more money, my wife got a headache, I enjoyed some good arguments and the upshot was that the whole sorry mess paid for my GTV and repairs for the first year.
 
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I think there are two schools of thought here.

My school says - "if I owe you I will pay"

Another school says "if you make a mistake - "F" you - I've saved money.

To use your example DJ - I use a local indie to repair my Alfa. If I took it in and a few weeks later they said "Sorry we forgot that wheel bearing" I'd pay up - it would have been a genuine mistake - we have mutual trust- and it will work in my favour next time i.e. they will only charge 2 hours labour when they spent 4.

If you trust people you will:-

a) initally be liable to ripped off
b) ultimately be repaid in kind.




Paul.
Paul, you are misrepresenting the alternative position. I have not set out a 'F you' (as you put it) response.

In fact I paid a garage I know for an MOT test they missed off my bill and phoned me up about it 2 months later. Frankly, although I paid up without quibbling, I thought it was a bit of a nerve.

I have made errors on invoices and if it takes me ages to notice them....well, thats my problem and it would be highly unprofessional of me to bully my clients to reimburse me after they believe they have settled up in full.

If Squadrone Rosso had forgotten to regularly download I doubt Road Angel would have refunded his dd, so it is a cheek for them to resolve their mistake with the threat of sanctions rather than a gentle approach for help from him on an awkward issue.
David Jarrett is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

The company cocked up, the company should hold their hands up and say:
'our bad, now we'll start charging you a second subscription from the date of this letter. All previous payments missed are written off. Thankyou for your continued loyalty to our company'

Perhaps if more comanies had to suffer unrecoverable financial hits for their mistakes, they'd start making less mistakes.
 
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 09-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Breraless :(
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 30,126
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Exactly. When you connect each unit, the system checks for a valid direct debit before you can proceed with the update. We've updated at least twice a week, have updated the system firmware on both units whilst on the phone to their tech support folks who asked for the unit numbers and we sent the second unit back and when it was returned, it was done so with a compliment slip stating the the unit had been fully charged & updated. ******s and I'll tell them as such (in a more constructive way) when I write to their MD.

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 09-08-08 at 15:05.
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,974
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
In fact I paid a garage I know for an MOT test they missed off my bill and phoned me up about it 2 months later. Frankly, although I paid up without quibbling, I thought it was a bit of a nerve.
But that IS effectively a "F you" position i.e. thinking "it was a bit of a nerve".

You had a service (MOT test), you didn't pay for it (not sure whether you knew it had been missed off the bill at the time). Effectively you had interest free credit and yet you complain when it catches up with you.

Whatever happened to basic honesty?

Paul.
PaulR is offline  
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

There you go again Paul....jumping to conclusions.

If you must know, the unitemised bill I settled was for over £1000 (presumably the fact the bill was not fully itemised was my fault?) so I was hardly able to spot a £40 omission.

Now you are telling me I have earnt interest on money that isn't mine?

You don't work for for a car clamping firm by any chance do you?
David Jarrett is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
GTA Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,575

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: Road Angel Group PLC

I wouldnt be happy with there attitude but they have you by the balls. I used to have a road angel but ditched it because they didnt do mobile speed cameras. I rang up and asked them if they did attatchment for it and the speed guns they said no and that i shouldnt be speeding. Not saying these things are allowing people to speed before anyone starts moaning but they are suppost to warn you.
GTA Jim is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,974
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
There you go again Paul....jumping to conclusions.

If you must know, the unitemised bill I settled was for over £1000 (presumably the fact the bill was not fully itemised was my fault?) so I was hardly able to spot a £40 omission.

Now you are telling me I have earnt interest on money that isn't mine?

You don't work for for a car clamping firm by any chance do you?
(sigh) I am not jumping to any conclusion at all. I am merely commenting on facts which you have put forward.

Fact - you had work done.
Fact - You didn't pay for it.
Fact - you were asked to pay for it.
Fact - you think "it was a bit of a nerve" for someone to ask for due payment.

I did not suggest you knew and deliberately avoided payment. I find the argument:-

"if you must know, the unitemised bill I settled was for over £1000 (presumably the fact the bill was not fully itemised was my fault?) so I was hardly able to spot a £40 omission."

totally spurious - you accept that there was an omission - so what is your point?

I'm sorry call me old fashioned but if I agree to pay for something then I will - I find the argument "You didn't ask me in time" rather sad - we all, individuals and companies make mistakes.

Paul.

I wouldn't work for a car clamping company - however if I owned one I'd drive a Ferrari not an "S" reg GTV.

Last edited by PaulR; 09-08-08 at 21:38.
PaulR is offline  
Darren156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

What was edited there Paul?
 
(Post Link) post #25 of 33 Old 09-08-08 Thread Starter
Status: Breraless :(
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 30,126
Re: Road Angel Group PLC

Hey you guys! Get your own thread to fight on
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome