Summer Holidays - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 02-08-08 Thread Starter

Help Summer Holidays

OK... I'm just about to start the second full week of the school summer holidays..

My son has just had he's 9th birthday last week, so has a bedroom full of new toys, loads of new DS games, and enough Dr Who gear to open a shop with... So why is it when I need some quiet time to do some work I get told... "I'm bored".
Now I understand he has a short attention span (He's got ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome) and is medicated to help him concentrate.. But why oh WHY can't I just grab an hour of peace ???

He's been getting me up at about 5am every morning, and finally going to sleep at about 10pm or 11pm (with a 7pm bedtime and arguing till he falls asleep).. I'm going to lose my mind with another 4/5 weeks of this.. (ex has taken on overtime to escape, and parents MIGHT have him overnight one day over the 6 weeks... )

Anyone with kids who have left home.. PLEASE tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel..

Sorry I know it's WAY off topic, but I needed a good rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: Summer Holidays

I know what you mean. Look on the bright side. Only another month to go.
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 02-08-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post

I know what you mean. Look on the bright side. Only another month to go.
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

School hols in Scotland start a wee bit earlier so we are well into ours and I am dus to throttle the little dears already. Never go to sleep before 10pm now and constant bored / what can I do. Great fun when I get them up at 7am to get them ready before I leave for work when they haven't gone to sleep until 10 / 11 pm.
mudhut

My kids are 25 and 24. Still can't get rid of them.

(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 03-08-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
My kids are 25 and 24. Still can't get rid of them.
Stuff that.. I'd move out.. He can have the house.. I want my life back.. Only 9 more years to go until he's an adult.

So like begins at 39
paintergirl

Feel for me. I'm a teacher with children of my own. There really is NO escape

(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 03-08-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danant View Post
School hols in Scotland start a wee bit earlier so we are well into ours and I am dus to throttle the little dears already. Never go to sleep before 10pm now and constant bored / what can I do. Great fun when I get them up at 7am to get them ready before I leave for work when they haven't gone to sleep until 10 / 11 pm.
He's up at 5am every morning anyway.. I really don't know how he manages on so little sleep, esp as he doesn't stop all day.

My parents picked him up at 10.30 this morning, so I've slept for a few hours, and now have some peace and quiet. HEAVEN
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 03-08-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Feel for me. I'm a teacher with children of my own. There really is NO escape
I don't know how you do it PG... A lot of kids at my son's school are rude, and unruly. To deal with a classroom full all day.. I couldn't do it..

But then I don't like kids... I love my son, totally. But children in general.. Yuck!
Mrs Vantastic

Your kid is nine yeah?

Explain to him you need a little bit of 'you' time, set an alarm clock, 30 mins to an hour, ask him to entertain himself for that long in his room, after that your all his and you will both do something great and interesting together, but before you do you need some r&r. If he kicks off then tell him you are far to tired to do the promised exciting thing and will have to just stay in and read a book or something else really dull.

If it works, which I doubt it will, you could increase the duration, say to an episode of Dr Who or a movie (even if he isnt watching it and doing a million other things, as long as he is leaving you alone)

He has to learn to entertain himself, medical problems aside.

I've noticed recently that most of the young people I meet always need entertaining, they have little imagination of their own and need constant stimulation. Wasn't like that when I was a lad and we walked 100 miles to school in bare feet after working down t'pit for 25 hours a day, eating pebble stew without pebbles lol

(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 04-08-08 Thread Starter

Drunk Re: Summer Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vantastic View Post
Your kid is nine yeah?

Explain to him you need a little bit of 'you' time, set an alarm clock, 30 mins to an hour, ask him to entertain himself for that long in his room, after that your all his and you will both do something great and interesting together, but before you do you need some r&r. If he kicks off then tell him you are far to tired to do the promised exciting thing and will have to just stay in and read a book or something else really dull.

If it works, which I doubt it will, you could increase the duration, say to an episode of Dr Who or a movie (even if he isnt watching it and doing a million other things, as long as he is leaving you alone)

He has to learn to entertain himself, medical problems aside.

I've noticed recently that most of the young people I meet always need entertaining, they have little imagination of their own and need constant stimulation. Wasn't like that when I was a lad and we walked 100 miles to school in bare feet after working down t'pit for 25 hours a day, eating pebble stew without pebbles lol
Loved your ending Really made me smile

Reading a book wouldn't be much of a punishment or dull for him, as he LOVES reading - anything. He multi tasks like no one I have ever seen before... He'll be watching tv, reading, and playing on his DS and still asking questions about everything.. And I refuse to tell him "just because", and try to be very honest with him even if the questions are a bit more than you'd expect from a 9 year old.

But I will try the alarm idea, might work at 30 mins a few times a day... Thanks
paintergirl

A nine year old has concentration for about 20 mins top. A rule of thumb is twice the age and a bit more (dead technical )

Start with less than that and build it up. Reward him for it - give him some you time (don't be tempted to go down the reward with sweets/presents route) - maybe a walk together or take him out for a ride in the car or go to the park.

Gradually build up the time - but make a big deal of his successes.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Tie him up and put him in the wardrobe. Works for me, I tell the kids it's like 'hide and seek' !!
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 04-08-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
Tie him up and put him in the wardrobe. Works for me, I tell the kids it's like 'hide and seek' !!
Loving that idea Howell...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Another one I used on the weekend was threaten to drop them off at the nearest 'Barnardos' if they don't behave.
paintergirl

.....and Social Services haven't caught up with you yet?

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
.....and Social Services haven't caught up with you yet?

Went away with the caravan last weekend, got chatting to the couple next door, turned out the wife works for social services, to that I replied "quick love, get the kids in the caravan" !!
paintergirl

That's how the buggers catch you out H

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
That's how the buggers catch you out H
Look on the bright side, free baby sitting through the summer !!
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter

I used to threaten him with boarding school.. He then watched Harry Potter, and asked when he could go..

He's being particularly crap today, arguing with his dad then stamping on his dad's foot, also locking himself outside in the rain.
He's refusing breakfast until he gets what he wants... He'll be waiting a long time then, as I'm only just more stubborn than him
We are taking him to the Dr Who exhibit on Friday (in London I think) and I'm damned if I'm taking him if this behaviour doesn't changed. Funny how telling him that makes him suddenly stop what he's doing, and run away. (he was throwing the sofa pillows all over the room, he dropped the lot and ran to the tv - a moments silence )

I can't wait till he goes back for his medication review, they defiantly need increasing.

Next summer I'm going on holiday - ALONE!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page