Last Nights " Panorama. " - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 29-07-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Last Nights " Panorama. "

Anyone else see it and have any comments WITHOUT going into the climate change debate again please !

I found it was very wishy washy and less than incisive reporting.

Points that struck me.

That the Gee Whiz is totally useless unless you live within 40 miles of Westminster and that that is your destination.

If you do happen to find a charging point do people think that the 'leccy used is generated from fresh air ? Apparently so.

That Professor Prentious Prig ( can't recall his real name but this will do ) is away with the fairies and is not of this world. He has not driven a car for over 20 years and finds that public transport is perfectly acceptable. Perhaps true if you live in Central London but for the rest of us reality is very different. Without using a car I would have to walk a 4 mile trip to buy any groceries, there isn’t an alternative and probably never will be unless public transport is provided to every back water location several times a day, this is just not going to happen.

Lot's of hot air but no answers other than " You're going to pay through the nose for your transport requirements and then burn in hell. " Very helpful.

Just another poor program that posed a lot more questions than answers and failed to address the needs of most of the UK's population.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport
Re: Last Nights " Panorama. "

Didnt see the program - caught the last 2mins.

Agree with everything you say about public transport though Nige005

4 miles to work and would need to catch 3 buses at a cost of £8 a day and an hour 30mins opposed to 10mins in a car and costs about £10 a week.

AO Silver Member

Just got back from Amsterdam, and the public transport system is soooo much better; paid about £5 per day for unlimited use of the trams / buses / metro. Tram stops about 5 min walk apart, and they come every 5 mins until after midnight
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Didn't see all of the programme but from what I did see it was way to simplistic and one sided.

Electricity for cars? The faeries make that, don't they?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I didn't see it all; but from the bits I did see there was no mention that
  • if we all go out and buy new fuel efficient cars then there's a pollution factor to take into account of producing a new car and disposing of an old one - this puts the lie to the Goverments Road Tax increase;
  • there's pollution associated from having to produce the electricity to power the Gee-Wizz
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Shiny red 159Ti

Panorama used to be a great series of insightful, thought-provoking documentaries. Then someone with a degree in media studies decided we were all too thick to appreciate that, and sent it to the level of a tabloid newspaper. Shame
VO2Max

You beat me to it, Mama - quite some time ago, the BBC were told to make their current affairs programmes more accessible so that more people would watch them - so they made a fine programme half as long and made it nice and simple so that the Sun readers could understand it. The same thing happened to Horizon to 'enable science to reach more people'. One of my favourite programmes, ruined.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

We have abandoned the BBC, for the very reasons you have both stated. There probably are half decent documentaries from time to time, but they are mostly simplistic in the extreme, and fail to provide any real investigative journalism. We tend to watch channel 4 news and dispatches. On the same note, I have found the BBC news to be increasingly "frivolous", spending much of it's time on lightweight local issues, and "celebrity" gossip, ignoring a great deal of World news.
This seems to have happened since Greg Dyke left a few years ago.
Nev

Dumbing down: Why?

Look at the sate of ITV and that is the ultimate
example of what dumbing down achieves.

We have a local version of GWizz even in a small
town like Antibes.

http://www.citevu.com/citevu/home/index.aspx

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Look at the sate of ITV and that is the ultimate
example of what dumbing down achieves.
It achieves Trevor MacDonald

The very man who reported about deliveries of "carbon dioxide bubbles" to nuclear power plants. So funny and so ridiculous at the same time.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

everyone has gone mad. everyone is loopy. switch off the news, live your lives as you wish. we cannot have an iota of impact on global change. max out on everything. The politicos are cuckoo; their plans to stuff you suit them and not the environment.

We are being shagged, conned and taxed, left right and centre, over the nefarious 'green' issue.

Live your life...and stick two fingers up to those bozos with half-baked worries, ideals and unsubstantiated fears.

You have one life. Live it.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 31-07-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
everyone has gone mad. everyone is loopy. switch off the news, live your lives as you wish. we cannot have an iota of impact on global change. max out on everything. The politicos are cuckoo; their plans to stuff you suit them and not the environment.

We are being shagged, conned and taxed, left right and centre, over the nefarious 'green' issue.

Live your life...and stick two fingers up to those bozos with half-baked worries, ideals and unsubstantiated fears.

You have one life. Live it.
Too true, I do tend to go my way but unfortunately have to read the news now and again for the pub quiz. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't watch/read the news at all, I can create my own doom and gloom without help from anyone !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page