The Inconvenient Truth of The Great Global Warming Scandal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 186 Old 21-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
The Inconvenient Truth of The Great Global Warming Scandal

So Channel 4 has been 'let off' after apparently misleading the public into thinking that global warming is more to do with politics than science.

Those upset by this documentary say that it did not offer enough evidence from the other side....what like An Inconvient Truth? That film was nothing but stats upon stats from on perspective....why was that not called to rights? Is it because it outlines the many governments arguments and supports what they want us to believe? Surely it couldnt be that. Could it?

Ofcom has done us a great justice here in allowing these programs to be made fairly unchallenged. If these politicians dont like it...tough. I hope Ofcom come back with something for all their critics on this one.

Documentary makers shouldnt feel afraid to make challenging films and hopefully this will be the first of many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: The Inconvenient Truth of The Great Global Warming Scandal

I've seen a come back from someone (can't remember who) which is quite informative.

An inconvenient fiction.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

The trouble with all if this is that "climate change" is not an exact science, there are so many factors that influence it that it just isn't possible to make a definitive statement ... there is no black and white ... it should be worded along the lines of "what percentage of climate change is directly related to man's activities" ... 100% is definiately not the answer ...
AO Member

Member car:

156, Spider

Quote:
Those upset by this documentary say that it did not offer enough evidence from the other side....what like An Inconvient Truth? That film was nothing but stats upon stats from on perspective....why was that not called to rights?
Because Channel 4 is publicly funded and films aren't. The C4 documentary was poor in that it misrepresented the several of the people who appeared on it. Juvenile programming, really.
(Post Link) post #5 of 186 Old 21-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Still, it was a refreshing look on the drivel we are forced to swallow on a daily basis. Its no surprise certain people will be up in arms over it. How dare anyone give the general population any doubts to what the 'powers at be' are telling us. Shame on them....
AO Member

Member car:

156, Spider

If by "refreshing" you mean "crap", it really was.
(Post Link) post #7 of 186 Old 21-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Dont you agree that the whole global warming argument is political?

I dont care what else was in the film, i'm just glad someone had the balls to question Al Gore and Gordon Brown's theories.

I know there is no solid evidence supporting either theory, but all we hear is one side of it. Al Gore's film did nothing different and therefore was just as guilty.
Rayq81

Global warming my arse, tax hiking greedy lying robbing gits more like

(Post Link) post #9 of 186 Old 21-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Quote:
well said Rayster
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Without getting drawn into a debate about the merits or otherwise of the global warming theory, Channel 4 admitted using graphs which were wrong in the programme, which if you are going to present 'facts' is a pretty big mix up. As a scientist myself I have to be very careful when reporting my results that they are checked by other independent sources and that they are presented as just that results with my interpretation of them. The problem with things like climate change is that for scientists reputations can be made and lost for companies and governments there is an awful lot of money at stake and because of this results are spun to suit the end user. When I was studying at university one of my geology lectures told us that when he was at uni plate tectonics was still not an accepted theory and many emminent geologists were still very much against the idea. The problem with complex theories like global warming is without running exhaustive studies like using all our fossil fuels in a very short space of time we will never know for sure what the outcome will be. Is that an experiment anybody seriously wants to undertake, it's bad enough the previous generations carried on doing atomic and nuclear bomb testing for so long even though everybody knew you got plenty of bang for your buck with those things
HSTDriver

Climate change is occuring, i't soccuring faster than it has done at any point in recorded history, and that is completely undeniable.

Who or what is to blame is kind of irrelevant, because pretty soon we'll be past the point of no return.

Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Climate change is occuring, i't soccuring faster than it has done at any point in recorded history, and that is completely undeniable.

Who or what is to blame is kind of irrelevant, because pretty soon we'll be past the point of no return.

All true (possibly) although I fear that it is the Emperors new clothes.

However given that the whole world economy is based on burning as much fossil fuel as possible for no real reason - i.e. we manufacture mountains of useless crap just so people can "shop", spend countless hours on vast cruise ships built at great polluting expense and belching out gallons of crap from marine diesel (not to mention the excrement collected from thousands of passengers). Then there is air travel - people flying around for no reason other than complete self indulgence.

What will change? - nothing - but hey - don't worry just pay more tax and it will all be ok - the modern day version of the catholic church selling indulgencies.

"Eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow we die".

paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Member

When I got my copy of the DVD "The Great Global Warming Swindle” from HMV after months on order, the shop only had 2 copies (including my copy) but loads of Al Corrs.
If you check your local HMV or Film/Music you will probably see what I mean, Incontinent Truth and no Great Global Warning Swindle DVD's.

Not bad for a fair representation to the public! Or just lack of interest given the lack of availability and hype of the forma.

And yes I do believe in global warming/cooling, but not man make CO2 induced.

WELL DONE CHANNEL 4 for opening the debate on this political issue (IPCC)

CannonBall UK
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Global warming is caused by population explosion, and the advances in technology. If we do not take steps to limit the growth of the human race, then all the excrement which we produce, and all the sheep,cows, pigs, horses, cats, dogs, chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, farmed fish, in fact every living thing, will poison us. We live in a hyper intensive World. We need to produce so much farting, shi??ing produce, that the World is becoming a very hot, smelly place, and the ice caps are melting.
Oh, and China and India are building between five and fifteen power stations a week depending on the reports which you read. So, it doesn't really matter if we in the UK drive a personal Alfa 8C or a bloody Lear jet!!!
Rayq81

Quote:
Depending on what newspaper, goverment, scientist you listen too
Look its July, im bloody freezing, I sincerely hope your right, I need warmth

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Rayq81

Important message :: the South West section are heading to their summer meet at Weymouth on Sunday, would all members be so kind as to burn some fossil fuels over the next few days as we really need some hot weather, thanks in advance

Quote:
Depending on what newspaper, goverment, scientist you listen too
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:

HST, I knew you couldn't help getting drawn back into this debate with us "petrol heads"!!!
Nev

If they spent more effort on talking about
population and resource management,
I'd probably take more interest.

But the CO2 and carbon trading scam is a load of old poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
If they spent more effort on talking about
population and resource management,
I'd probably take more interest.

But the CO2 and carbon trading scam is a load of old poop.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

Quote:

Hmmmm recorded history, what’s that 100 years at most and yet the world is millions of years old.

How can you paint an accurate picture with such a small amount of information and as for data collected from ice; as already stated that can be interpreted in a way that suits either argument.

I don’t know if climate change is happening but I do believe that reducing the world’s consumption of natural resources is a good thing (said by a gta owner).

Quote:

That is actually not known. The historical temperature record only goes back a couple of hundred odd years, and is constanly being revised and argued over, and generally shown to be fairly inaccurate. Any further back than that and we are talking proxies - and that is such a wild can of worms that its not even worth arguing about. So we don't really know a) what the current rate of temperature change is, and b) if it has in the past been as high or not.

The whole concept of 'tipping points' (no return) is a an unproven theory that does not have a lot of supporters even in the AGW proponent camp. So let's not have all this 'we are all doomed' talk just yet, eh?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page