F1 commentators! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Sipe

F1 commentators!

Gawd! Why don't Mark Blundell and Co. just go and stick their hands down the front of Hamilton's pants and get it over and done with.

He is a good driver but enough of the bloody fawning over him at every chance. To be fair though, they did fit in a 1 minute piece on another driver (Vittel) in the hour long" Lewis Hamilton Show", which was nice of them.

Oh and to squeeze in a " how do you think you would fare against Lewis?" in an interview with Schumacher smacks of smarmy gitness.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Lewis. Just the idiot mediocre ex-racing driver commentators and their thinly veiled sarcasm towards every other driver except their darling Lewis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: F1 commentators!

i love Jenson's new specs as well....

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

I disagree, Sipe.

The media in this country are, more often than not, negative towards any sporting champion from this country (I cite the recent Wimbledon coverage, but almost any sport will do) so it's nice to hear commentators actually backing the local talent, instead of rubbishing their achievements!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

What gets me is the way they veer wildly in their opinion of him based on only the last ten minutes of his career at any given point.
Sniffpetrol said it best:
Sniff Petrol GROWING HAMILTON TITLE HOPE IS FADING ON THE UP
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I don't mind them to be honest, at least having 2 drivers on the team means they are clued up on the technical side.

I remember James Hunt and Murray Walker, James was always correcting Murray.

Martin does have some annoying expressions though "Keeping him honest" is one of them. WTF does that mean?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

Sipe I'd agree wholeheartedly with you. It is important that the British media support their own but it is completely OTT on the subject of Lewis Hamilton.

As for that "Interview" with Schumacher today, all I can say is he is a real diplomat and the Hamilton fan club that is Mark Blundell etc could learn a lot from him.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg

Member car:

Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipe View Post
Gawd! Why don't Mark Blundell and Co. just go and stick their hands down the front of Hamilton's pants and get it over and done with.

He is a good driver but enough of the bloody fawning over him at every chance. To be fair though, they did fit in a 1 minute piece on another driver (Vittel) in the hour long" Lewis Hamilton Show", which was nice of them.

Oh and to squeeze in a " how do you think you would fare against Lewis?" in an interview with Schumacher smacks of smarmy gitness.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Lewis. Just the idiot mediocre ex-racing driver commentators and their thinly veiled sarcasm towards every other driver except their darling Lewis.
LOL... And I could not agree more. I actually don't listen to the commentary any more. I watch it with the sound off. Those two imbecile's ( just my opinion ) actually make it worse.

I don't particularly like Lewis, but hey, he is driving really well and he is proving himself. Especially in these last couple of races. He has been fantastic, Well done to him. But ****, I am so tired of hearing and people comparing him to all the past greats. Let him race and prove himself, like he is doing now ( not like last year, where he successfully made the biggest stuff up for the title that F1 has possible seen )

Perfect example is today ( he was absolutely supreme today, on just about every lap he was like nearly a second faster than anyone else ) so when you have 16 laps left ( new tyres as well ) and you about 8 seconds behind the leader, it don't take a betting man to realize the inevitable.... then off go the commentators like that is the best overtaking moves they have ever seen...

When this bloke races, I really enjoy him.... but when the media and those commentators start, then I can't stand him.

These are my opinions, no offense meant please.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason145 View Post
Let him race and prove himself, like he is doing now ( not like last year, where he successfully made the biggest stuff up for the title that F1 has possible seen )

It amazes me how people see things differently. Last year wasn't Lewis Stuffing up, Last year was the greatest rookie season I've ever witnessed in F1. Yeah he didn't win the title, but prior to the season nobody would even have considered him to be a contender.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
It amazes me how people see things differently. Last year wasn't Lewis Stuffing up, Last year was the greatest rookie season I've ever witnessed in F1. Yeah he didn't win the title, but prior to the season nobody would even have considered him to be a contender.
Very true about the difference in opinions... Sorry mate, but it appears everyone has forgotten the 1996 season of F1.

Jacques Villeneuve... 11 podiums in 16 races, 4 wins.

Lewis Hamilton... 12 podiums in 17 races, 4 wins.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Very true about the difference in opinions... Sorry mate, but it appears everyone has forgotten the 1996 season of F1.

Jacques Villeneuve... 11 podiums in 16 races, 4 wins.

Lewis Hamilton... 12 podiums in 17 races, 4 wins.
But Jacques (who I'm a huge fan of) was reigning indycar champion, and indy 500 winner. He was a known quantity. Lewis was a kid who we didn't really know if he'd make the grade or not, that's what was so impressive.

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Quote:
but prior to the season nobody would even have considered him to be a contender.
I don't know, there was once talk of Lewis Hamilton being the next Brit to win an F1 race before Jenson Button, then two races late Button won Hungary.

His talent in GP2 was extra-ordinary then, the only surprise has been the speed at which he has adapted to F1, not that he would be good at it.

and yes Steve Ryder especially makes my **** boil, bring back Jim Rosenthal or Tony Jardine, at least they recognised there were 19 other drivers.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Q5

Quote:
But Jacques (who I'm a huge fan of) was reigning indycar champion, and indy 500 winner. He was a known quantity. Lewis was a kid who we didn't really know if he'd make the grade or not, that's what was so impressive.
I agree with the first part of that, Lewis was however the GP 2 champ and he had been under Mr Ron Dennis ( McLaren ) since he was about ten.
I think its fair to say that we all new of him and where expecting some good action from him.

I understand your comments.... but I still disagree. I don't think I will change your mind and you won't change mine. So, lets agree to disagree
HSTDriver

Quote:
I agree with the first part of that, Lewis was however the GP 2 champ and he had been under Mr Ron Dennis ( McLaren ) since he was about ten.
I think its fair to say that we all new of him and where expecting some good action from him.

I understand your comments.... but I still disagree. I don't think I will change your mind and you won't change mine. So, lets agree to disagree
Agreed, both rookie years were supreme

(I just hope Lewis wins a few more titles than Jacques managed)

It can be a bit of over kill. But for the first time, well, ever in recent times it looks like the UK has generated a superstar sportsman who could be at the top of his profession for at least a decade.

I'm quite happy to shout it from the rooftops!!!!! Even if he is a bit arrogant....
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipe View Post

I agree Being a Scot it is like watching a England football match when they mention 1966 at every opportunity when listening to Brundle & Blundell ,you just wanna turn the volume down or turn over .
The constant Lording of Hamilton is getting boring now.I wonder if they would do the same if he had been driving for a lesser team .
All the past great drivers never got shoe in car like Hamilton on their 1st drive .
Take Schumacher ,Senna and Alonso they all started in smaller teams and went on to great things with bigger teams .I just cant see Lewis Hamilton being as good as the 3 drivers i mentioned .
I also think that the way Brundle and Blundell commented on his overtaking of Massa and Piquet jnr was over the top,If that was Schumacher way back in the day they would have been condemning him about how dangerous the pass was and squealing for his head. I am all for british drivers doing well but a fair unbiased view from the commentators would be welcome also ,So no more Nuthugging pleeeeeeeeeeeez!!

There is No Spoon!!

XBOX Live Gamertag - berge katse add me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Rombo di Tuono
Sipe

Quote:
Martin does have some annoying expressions though "Keeping him honest" is one of them. WTF does that mean?
Hehehe yea I heard that one too and wondered wtf he was on about

AO Silver Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsub View Post
I agree Being a Scot it is like watching a England football match when they mention 1966 at every opportunity when listening to Brundle & Blundell ,you just wanna turn the volume down or turn over .
The constant Lording of Hamilton is getting boring now.I wonder if they would do the same if he had been driving for a lesser team .
All the past great drivers never got shoe in car like Hamilton on their 1st drive .
Take Schumacher ,Senna and Alonso they all started in smaller teams and went on to great things with bigger teams .I just cant see Lewis Hamilton being as good as the 3 drivers i mentioned .
I also think that the way Brundle and Blundell commented on his overtaking of Massa and Piquet jnr was over the top,If that was Schumacher way back in the day they would have been condemning him about how dangerous the pass was and squealing for his head. I am all for british drivers doing well but a fair unbiased view from the commentators would be welcome also ,So no more Nuthugging pleeeeeeeeeeeez!!
I'll just take issue with a couple of your points there.

1. He's got straight into the best car ? ( I would quote the last time Mclaren won the constructors title but I got bored of looking but it was prior to the 2000 season.) Where did his team mate finish yesterday, how many points does he have so far this season?
2. Never be as good as Alonso ? He beat him in his first season (Alonso's fifth,two as Champion) in an identical car.

The praise of Hamilton is over the top but he is Very, very good at driving the car faster than the rest.

156 2.0 jts Lusso Sportwagon,Vela Blue,Tan Leather, Bose.(Gone)
GTV 3.0 V6 24v Lusso, Rosso Red, Black Leather. (Gone)
Giulietta Cloverleaf 1750tbi, 8C Competizione Rosso, Black heated Leather, Bose
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Are McDennis operating a two car team, on an equal level? Or is it Team Hamilton (and another guy) Do any of the other teams?
Of course there are #1 and #2 drivers, but when (racing for position), should the #2 driver give way at the hairpin to let the recently refuelled #1 driver by?

I thought the 2002 Austian GP Give Way tactics had been made illegal by the FIA (under threat of a severe spanking!!)

Hamilton is a VERY good driver, his racecraft in GP2 was above most of the other drivers. His transition to F1 was smoother than many, probably due to the decade long McDennis connection, in comparison to other F1 'rookies' from other formula racing.
He, and his family seem genuinely pleased to win, and gutted when he makes errors. I am proud of what he, and his Father, have acheived.
Surely he is more talent than cash, and deserves his place in that car on merit alone.

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

I have to say I don't mind Martin Brundle as he's generally pretty fair in his commentary. Ok, they're a bit over enthusiastic about Hamilton but that's understandable to a degree.

BUT James Allen is a muppet. He reminds me of Odie from the Garfield cartoons. Enthusiastic but ultimately a bit dim.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Martin is ok. James Allen is a plonker

Hamilton a bit arrogant.............. Yes he is bound to be as were and are most men and woman at the very top of their sport.

Schumacher was, even the late, great Senna was. Of course the coverage on a British TV channel is going to be a little OTT about a British driver than just may win a WC.

Ever listen to RTE when Jordan F1 were running All the cars had to do was turn a wheel and the commentators were shouting it from the roof tops. That was biased commentary if ever I heard it

Go on LH, win it! But whether you do or don't there will always be someone to knock you. Bazzas 'Sniff Petrol' link was spot on.

Previous: Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi -147 1.6 TS Lusso - 156 1.8 TS - 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso saloon - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW - VW Golf TDi - Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport - Volvo V70 2.4D SE Lux - Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 GP - Skoda Superb 2.0D DSG L&K Estate - Now: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW & Giulietta 1.4 MA QV-Line
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I hate the commentators on F1 - they are useless, I can watch the tV and see what is going on they seem to miss half the action.

Just cos we all loved Murray walker doesnt mean i want them to make c--k ups every two minutes when they commentate.

Lewis is Ok but I prefer other drivers - vettel looks very good.

AO Silver Member

County: -

I like Blundell, i think he gives a good insight into the race from a former racers perspective.

By all means get shot of James Allen.

Next year when it hits BBC i would like Blundell to be part of the team but i sincerely doubt it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Q5

Quote:
Agreed, both rookie years were supreme

(I just hope Lewis wins a few more titles than Jacques managed)
I hope it can stay close like it is at the moment, If Lewis wins this year and in years to come, then I don't mind. I enjoy Motor Racing, so if he 'races' and wins, I am a happy chappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC7671 View Post
I'll just take issue with a couple of your points there.

1. He's got straight into the best car ? ( I would quote the last time Mclaren won the constructors title but I got bored of looking but it was prior to the 2000 season.) Where did his team mate finish yesterday, how many points does he have so far this season?
2. Never be as good as Alonso ? He beat him in his first season (Alonso's fifth,two as Champion) in an identical car.

The praise of Hamilton is over the top but he is Very, very good at driving the car faster than the rest.
I think we can all agree that it was no Minardi that he got in to. McLaren has been second or third in the constructors Championship since about 1998 when they last won that Title. That to me is a fairly consistant and other than Ferrari, the best other team out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milowokie View Post
Are McDennis operating a two car team, on an equal level? Or is it Team Hamilton (and another guy) Do any of the other teams?
Of course there are #1 and #2 drivers, but when (racing for position), should the #2 driver give way at the hairpin to let the recently refuelled #1 driver by?

I thought the 2002 Austian GP Give Way tactics had been made illegal by the FIA (under threat of a severe spanking!!)

Hamilton is a VERY good driver, his racecraft in GP2 was above most of the other drivers. His transition to F1 was smoother than many, probably due to the decade long McDennis connection, in comparison to other F1 'rookies' from other formula racing.
He, and his family seem genuinely pleased to win, and gutted when he makes errors. I am proud of what he, and his Father, have acheived.
Surely he is more talent than cash, and deserves his place in that car on merit alone.
British team... British driver... I think its always going to be a little bias. But saying that, I don't think Heiki has that winning edge to him like Lewis does.

I really enjoyed last year, Lewis verses Alonso and then throw in some Ferrari drivers...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page