Chancellor delays 2p fuel duty rise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 93 Old 16-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage
Chancellor delays 2p fuel duty rise

Why don't they just scrap it

Chancellor Alistair Darling Delays 2p Rise In Fuel Duty | Politics | Sky News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Re: Chancellor delays 2p fuel duty rise

Because this way the slimy thieving scuzzbuckets look like they have "listened and helped" where as what they should be doing is trying to knock the price down rather than postponing increases!
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

scrap it and cut another 2p (at least)
EddieGTA

They could and should cut at least 10p. I forget the exact figures but they are raking in billions of pounds extra from the fuel price rises just from the VAT. The problem is they have many holes to plug with those billions!

Dibby

Whoop de doo! Fuel will go up more than 2p this week without help from uk.gov

Cutting 2p, 10p, 20p a litre won't do anything because it will be back where we are again within 3 weeks. People love blaming the government for fuel prices when it's the exploration and refinery companies that are absolutely raking it in because China and India are buying the worlds supplies and oil giants are selling to the highest bidder. It's not the government's fault, blame China and the oil giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post

Cutting 2p, 10p, 20p a litre won't do anything because it will be back where we are again within 3 weeks. People love blaming the government for fuel prices when it's the exploration and refinery companies that are absolutely raking it in because China and India are buying the worlds supplies and oil giants are selling to the highest bidder. It's not the government's fault, blame China and the oil giants.
Thats not the case Dibby

This govt cant be held into account to the true reasons...however it can for the amount of tax it chooses to have on fuel....

This goverment refuses to explain how crippling the two campaigns in Afgaf and iraq is costing the tax payer - and we will never know - but one thing is for sure we will keep feeling it as military campaigns are not cheap.....even if the MOD is forced to run the show on a shoe string.

Its not as if this goverment is getting the benefit from increased heroin production as perhaps one nation I can think of

Chris
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Quote:

Tosh, about 60% of fuel cost to us the end user is Tax....thats a tax rate of about 150%...show me anything other necessary commodity that is taxed that much.....We have the highest taxed fuel in the world (apart from the dutch)

The fuel and research companies go out spending money developing, researching, exploring, building, drilling etc etc etc...for their money.....what does the govmnt do for their cut? Tell us to use a crap or non existent public transport service!!
Dibby

If they half the duty on fuel they will have to make it up somewhere else. In Wales the councils and schools are on strike for 2 days because they want more money, the Police balloted for the right to strike over their pay, the Fire Service went on strike over pay not long ago.

Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us, the treasury isn't getting anywhere near as much revenue from tobacco after the smoking ban, the roads are falling apart and need updating, hospitals are under funded, everyone is crying out for more cash and inflation is the highest for 11 years, almost twice the government's 2% target. If they drop the fuel, they'll find another way of swindling the money out of us and we'll all complain about stealth taxes. The British public complain regardless, we want better hospitals but don't want to pay for them.

A 2p hold on fuel duty is nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's a token effort to try and cheer up the public in these gloomy times. It's an extra £1 on a fill up that will last me 600 miles - if only train and bus tickets went up that little!

So whoop de doo, whoop do fuggin doo for the government not increasing tax.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe005 View Post
Tosh, about 60% of fuel cost to us the end user is Tax....thats a tax rate of about 150%...show me anything other necessary commodity that is taxed that much.....We have the highest taxed fuel in the world (apart from the dutch)

The fuel and research companies go out spending money developing, researching, exploring, building, drilling etc etc etc...for their money.....what does the govmnt do for their cut? Tell us to use a crap or non existent public transport service!!
With Rafe on this. The increase oil costs have been a godsend for our bloodsucking government, have no idea how much extra tax that they have reeled in 'cos of this but I'm sure it's a lot, probably enough to make even Gordon break into a smile. ( What a horrible mind picture that is. )

Not to worry I'll use public transport.......... Err maybe not, we don't have much of that here in the sticks.
(Post Link) post #10 of 93 Old 16-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

The one good thing about the current cost of fuel, is the roads are less busy with far less traffic jams
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Hi Nige,
Been a while since we crossed paths Medal collection still gathering dust???
Dibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
The one good thing about the current cost of fuel, is the roads are less busy with far less traffic jams
If only!
They've been nice and quiet today with the public sector workers striking round here, although I spent 4 hours sat on the M4 this morning after a smash closed it down just before junction 37. Thousands of people stranded because some dimwit couldn't be bothered to watch where they were going.

Kids are off school soon so that should ease the drive into work.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Hi Nige,
Been a while since we crossed paths Medal collection still gathering dust???
How you doing Rafe ? Not sure about the medals but I'm certainly still collecting dust !

Hi to Dibby too, been a while, hows things ?
Nev

What they give with one hand....

BBC NEWS | UK | £6bn to target M-way congestion

"Transport Incompetent Secretary Ruth Kelly said she would also
investigate the possibility of introducing toll and car-sharing lanes, which are
used in America."

Bet you none of these numptees have ever been to the US!

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

[QUOTE=Nev;1930763
investigate the possibility of introducing toll and car-sharing lanes, which are
used in America."

Bet you none of these numptees have ever been to the US!

[/QUOTE]

Was always unsure about this idea, seemed a waste of road most of the time as most people were not using them although to be honest I rarely travelled at peak times.

What I did like was the " change direction lanes " in the tunnels in Seattle where they opened up the " wrong direction " lanes to get traffic moving at busy periods. However this of course required careful co ordination of the lights and gates and somehow think that here in the UK it's something else which we could mess up pretty efficiently........
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

I love the part about broken down vehicles using the desginated areas off the hard shoulder................whens the last time you chose where your car broke down
Dibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Hi to Dibby too, been a while, hows things ?
Good Nige, lvery good indeed. Life's been full of ups and downs lately. Been for 2 weeks downhill biking in the Alps (that's why I haven't bee round here much). Got back to find I got my engineering chartership and I've now got CEng MIMechE after my name, went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, snapped the cambelt on the 147 and the kit car failed the MOT on the front suspension so we're converting it to adjustable shock double wishbones. Big bills for both cars and now the insurance is due on both of them but at least the rest of the last couple of weeks has been a blast. Back to reality, back to work, planning the impending wedding and stripping the bike down after the Alps.

Hope you've been having a less hectic time of it all mate but just as good!

AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
Got back to find I got my engineering chartership and I've now got CEng MIMechE after my name, !
Gratz on that one
Dibby

Cheers Rafe, that's a weight off my chest now. No more exams or interviews for a few years now, going to give it all a rest after 4 years of uni and 4 years of working towards chartership status

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Not an Alfa

the company i work for produces a booklet with motor facts in it, ive attached the one below as it relates to this topic...makes me mad how much tax we pay

you can download the full booklet for free from below if you want...

http://smmtlib.findlay.co.uk/articles/sharedfolder/Publications/Motor%20Industry%20Facts%202008.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel prices.jpg (56.9 KB, 17 views)
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Was always unsure about this idea, seemed a waste of road most of the time as most people were not using them although to be honest I rarely travelled at peak times.
Check out some of these webcams in a few hours!

cbs5.com - Webcams

AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
Cheers Rafe, that's a weight off my chest now. No more exams or interviews for a few years now, going to give it all a rest after 4 years of uni and 4 years of working towards chartership status
I got my degree in Civil Engineering. That was enough studying for me
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydh View Post
the company i work for produces a booklet with motor facts in it, ive attached the one below as it relates to this topic...makes me mad how much tax we pay

you can download the full booklet for free from below if you want...

http://smmtlib.findlay.co.uk/article...cts%202008.pdf
That shows that 60odd% of the cost is tax, sounds even worse when you realise that equates to around 150% tax rate
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Good Nige, lvery good indeed. Life's been full of ups and downs lately. Been for 2 weeks downhill biking in the Alps (that's why I haven't bee round here much). Got back to find I got my engineering chartership and I've now got CEng MIMechE after my name, went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, snapped the cambelt on the 147 and the kit car failed the MOT on the front suspension so we're converting it to adjustable shock double wishbones. Big bills for both cars and now the insurance is due on both of them but at least the rest of the last couple of weeks has been a blast. Back to reality, back to work, planning the impending wedding and stripping the bike down after the Alps.

Hope you've been having a less hectic time of it all mate but just as good!
Congratulations on this, sure it will be worth all the hard work.

Shame about the cars but this is life, what damage occurred when the 147 cambelt let go ?

Weddings are a sore point for me right now, in nasty e mail comms with my ex about the daughters wedding, I'm sure that yours has to go better and I wish you both well, enjoy the day and more importantly enjoy the marriage.

Pretty quiet here, I'm in the fortunate position of doing what I want when I want so I'm pretty relaxed about things and enjoy life !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
That shows that 60odd% of the cost is tax, sounds even worse when you realise that equates to around 150% tax rate
Not good. Thanks for the link Rafe.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page