Has the PM completely lost it - Discuss! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 113 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support South
Is there a meet near you?

County: Surrey
Has the PM completely lost it - Discuss!

Why Brown thinks we should all be HAPPY that fuel costs are sky-high | Mail Online

OK so it's the Daily Wail, so take some of the comment with a pinch of salt but this oxygen thief has clearly ended up in la-la land,

They'll only put the tax up on electricity if we switch to electric cars.

This bloke needs to go...now - Although he now appears to be attempting political suicide and doing quite a good job of it so hopefully we'll be shot of him soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Has the PM completely lost it - Discuss!

How much longer can he stay in power without an election ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 113 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support South

He's got to call an election by 2010 - he did have the option when he took over from teflon tony - but didn't go for it unfortunately.
Nev

3 point plan for Brown to become popular:

1) Tell USA to go whistle, plan for full withdrawal
of troops from Iraq. Admit error in going there in the first
place.

2) Use pressure of withdrawal from Afghanistan to get USA
to clean their house, ratify extradition treaty, pay for tech
they stole from the UK and such like.

3) Ditch PFI bull**** and really invest/spend money on UK
infrastructure, transport, roads, hospitals schools .

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Anyone remember this...

Goldfinger Brown’s £2 billion blunder in the bullion market - Times Online
(Post Link) post #6 of 113 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support South

To be honest Nev it's too late for that,

As someone quite rightly said on the waste thread - The public have a perception of his recent comments as the incoherent ramblings of a madman, although if someone else had made the same comment they may have made sense. There is a major credability issue here.

The fact that he has the charisma of a lettuce doesn't work in his favour either.

Last edited by JonSpiderMan; 09-07-08 at 13:14. Reason: Brownitus
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

I also remember reading somewhere that the amount of pollution (not sure if it was CO2 or something else) emitted from manufacturing the toyota prius is more than the amount reduced by driving one...(unless you drive it for quite a few years)
So basically switching to hybrid doesn't do sh*t for the world... just shifts the point of pollution away from the UK..
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumiyasu View Post
I also remember reading somewhere that the amount of pollution (not sure if it was CO2 or something else) emitted from manufacturing the toyota prius is more than the amount reduced by driving one...(unless you drive it for quite a few years)
So basically switching to hybrid doesn't do sh*t for the world... just shifts the point of pollution away from the UK..
Wasn't that top gear the other week (just after they'd proved that a BMW M3 was also more fuel economical than a prius ...)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Wasn't that top gear the other week (just after they'd proved that a BMW M3 was also more fuel economical than a prius ...)
Unsurprisingly the Americans have missed this point entirely and there is a 7 month waiting list for them over there
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
That's shocking!
(Post Link) post #11 of 113 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support South

Yes it was Top Gear, and much of that was to do with the production of the batteries in china that go into the prius. Carbon offsetting into a different country!

What really winds me up is that the goverment are raising taxes against the motorist to pay for their own financial incompetence and then hiding behind the green argument as justification.

Will the PM be driving around in a hybrid any time soon or his police minders (range rover), the level of hypocrisy is mind boggling.

I personally think government should behave like parents, and lead by example.
Instead of the current.. Don't do as I do.. do as I say mentality they have.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29alfa View Post
I personally think government should behave like parents, and lead by example.
Instead of the current.. Don't do as I do.. do as I say mentality they have.
As a parent I don't lead by example ... I don't go to bed a 7 O'clock, if I don't want to finish my dinner I don't ... and if I want to play with knifes I will!!! (my kids are < 5yo)

I think, however, that we (the british public) are reaching our teenage years and as such can are starting to question "our parents" ... the trouble is our parents just seem to want to shout at us, tell us we're wrong and not listen ... I wonder how many of us will be leaving home soon?

(great analogy this parent thing ...)
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Actually I was thinking about an article about it before top gear... but yea... same point...

Quote:
As a parent I don't lead by example ... I don't go to bed a 7 O'clock, if I don't want to finish my dinner I don't ... and if I want to play with knifes I will!!! (my kids are < 5yo)

I think, however, that we (the british public) are reaching our teenage years and as such can are starting to question "our parents" ... the trouble is our parents just seem to want to shout at us, tell us we're wrong and not listen ... I wonder how many of us will be leaving home soon?

(great analogy this parent thing ...)
Thanks Good luck with the under 5's.. They only get worse
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
I posted something to that effect a while ago. However, in searching for the article, it appears that it was incorrect. This is a good place to start.

The article in question said that the Prius was worse than a Hummer over its lifetime. The repudiation came in the form of blaming the way they'd done their figures and then putting forward their own figures. Far from conclusive in either case. The one thing that it does appear is inaccurate is that the nickel mine was an environmental nightmare. Apparently that came from something written 30 years ago and the mine in question has since been cleaned up considerably.

It doesn't change the fact that buying a new car is always going to be worse for the environment than keeping your old one and I expect the Prius is far worse than a lot of cars if not a Hummer.

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Ex 95 164 TS Super, 95 164 QV, 97 164 V6 Super – all very much missed.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29alfa View Post
Thanks Good luck with the under 5's.. They only get worse
What's worse is I'm terribly out numbered (2 girls + wife) ... looks like I'll be building some more bathrooms then ... (and building a workshop at the end of the garden ... the foundations of which will be built on "undesirable boys"!!!!)

Quote:
What's worse is I'm terribly out numbered (2 girls + wife) ... looks like I'll be building some more bathrooms then ... (and building a workshop at the end of the garden ... the foundations of which will be built on "undesirable boys"!!!!)
That is why all my animals are girls, so we even the score out some..
a LOT more bathrooms... Really!
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
I posted something to that effect a while ago. However, in searching for the article, it appears that it was incorrect. This is a good place to start.

The article in question said that the Prius was worse than a Hummer over its lifetime. The repudiation came in the form of blaming the way they'd done their figures and then putting forward their own figures. Far from conclusive in either case. The one thing that it does appear is inaccurate is that the nickel mine was an environmental nightmare. Apparently that came from something written 30 years ago and the mine in question has since been cleaned up considerably.

It doesn't change the fact that buying a new car is always going to be worse for the environment than keeping your old one and I expect the Prius is far worse than a lot of cars if not a Hummer.
thanks for the clear up...

And i just thought of another point... all the time when they discuss this sort of issues they take cars as just transports.. I think they also need to include the utility of driving in there somehow.. I mean, it fun to drive around in a car with a big engine (until you see the fuel bills) or just go for a drive without needing to go anywhere, just for the fun of it... I am really quite sick of the argument that because we don't need big engines we shouldn't have big engines..cars with big engines are always going to get hit hard whenever a tax or cost comes around.. For them, fun or exciting is not a proper reason... It's like saying just because we don't need designer clothes we should put all the designers in prison and then just make clothes in the most economic way for everyone without any wasted garments or pollution... If this mentality carry on, soon all the luxury items will get more and more expensive comparing to the economic choices.. this is the same as widening income inequality, the rich poor divide...

the last time I checked, the function of the government is to protect our welfare.. A large part of my welfare depends on how much fun I have which depends on how interesting the car I drive is... I think this would be true for most petrol heads which takes up a large bit of the male population..

Last edited by fumiyasu; 09-07-08 at 15:52.

Quote:
thanks for the clear up...

And i just thought of another point... all the time when they discuss this sort of issues they take cars as just transports.. I think they also need to include the utility of driving in there somehow.. I mean, it fun to drive around in a car with a big engine (until you see the fuel bills) or just go for a drive without needing to go anywhere, just for the fun of it... I am really quite sick of the argument that because we don't need big engines we shouldn't have big engines..cars with big engines are always going to get hit hard whenever a tax or cost comes around.. It fun or exciting to get a interesting car is not a proper reason for them... It's like saying just because we don't need designer clothes we should put all the designers in prison and then just make clothes in the most economic way for everyone...

the last time I checked, the function of the government is to protect our welfare.. A large part of my welfare depends on how much fun I have which depends on how interesting the car I drive is... I think this would be true for most petrol heads which takes up a large bit of the male population..
And female one's with taste.. Please
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

the question is nor whether Brown has lost the plot, more like 'did he have it in the first place?'

as on commentator put it, 'it's like he has been working in his shed at the bottom of the garden for 10 years, and we expect something fabulous to come out of it, and we get to see that there's nothing in there, just nothing'.

I disageed at the time, but Clarkson was right, he's a c***.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

I cant remember a PM who seemed so reluctant to appear on the public stage to state his case or defend himslef. He's for ever sending some minion onto Andrew Marr's show or it's some minister who appears on the news. That said I prefer not to watch him - his strange manerism where he sucks air in and his chin drops now detracts me from what he's actually saying.

The sooner we have an election the better
AO Platinum Member

Yes ... he looks like he sits in doors all day eating white bread ...
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

brown's answer to everything:

use taxation to impose his will

i'm rolling on the floor with laughter here at the thought of his face the morning after the next election when he's had the mother and father of all beatings. imagine the kind of landslide victory the tories could have if they had a heavyweight leader instead of a bed-wetter like cameron

oh roll on the next election....

The sooner the better would be good...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page