"Move Because I'm Not Stopping!" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

"...(in fact I'm going to kill someone.)"

BBC NEWS | England | Beds/Bucks/Herts | Death cyclist fine angers family

What a nice man.
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Unbelievable
 
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Time to take the law into your own hands, sadly
BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 205
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Time to take the law into your own hands, sadly
Whoa! I'm sorry-but that's a really dangerous thing to say, BF. As much as we all agree that this was an appalling thing for someone to do and get away with it, we should all keep within the law of the land-otherwise we become no better than this chap.
AlfaTech 70's is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

I agree, but if someone hurt my kid, I wouldn't care less about the law. Really.

My own life would be over right that moment.
BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
"...(in fact I'm going to kill someone.)"

BBC NEWS | England | Beds/Bucks/Herts | Death cyclist fine angers family

What a nice man.
Hi,Nev

TRAGIC,is the word that springs to mind.

People of all ages just do not
accept responsiblities for their actions.

Just been on vacation,
poolside sign read no diving
or jumping into pool.

A holiday maker,
leapt into pool narrowly missing an
senior lady who was swimming there.

His comments were heard by all around the poolside.

Gosh I`m sorry,
It`s not my fault ,
Idid not see you swimming there.


Made my blood boil,got into trouble
with my good lady,
Just because I told him
that I would give him a quick reading lesson.

which led to more words


John.

Luddite
ludite is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

You did the right thing John.


Of course, I'd hope that people would show compassion, understanding and forgiveness but when your child dies as a result of someone behaving like the cyclist did, well, it's mighty hard.
BigFoot is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludite View Post
Hi,Nev

Gosh I`m sorry,
It`s not my fault ,
Idid not see you swimming there.


Hi J, It's the Me!Me!ME! generation I'm afraid.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Hi J, It's the Me!Me!ME! generation I'm afraid.
Nev,


Really sad thing ,
the chap was in his late 40`s/

Cannot think what his off- spring
are like,

Got to admit that writing posts
like this makes me look
like a goody goody,
it`s not the case,


John
ludite is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 205
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludite View Post
Nev,


Really sad thing ,
the chap was in his late 40`s/

Cannot think what his off- spring
are like,

Got to admit that writing posts
like this makes me look
like a goody goody,
it`s not the case,


John
Hi John.

I agree with you 100%-you are voicing the opinion of a lot of us, society is headed to hell just at the moment. It needs decent folk to help apply the brakes.

Regards,

Adrian
AlfaTech 70's is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,679
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Gosh you guys got back from court quick

So how was it - was the evidence first hand compelling ??


"We think Rhiannon was probably a few inches, or a foot, in to the road and then she moved towards the pavement," said Sgt Mahon.

How do you have full impact with someone who is or isn't on the road be it a few inches or a foot...?

I don't think this is as clear cut as it first reads


Chris
chrisd_b is offline  
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,174
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

I listened to the officer charged with the investigation last night on radio 5.

Tragic tale indeed.

Seems the bike rider could have moved to the opposite side of the road.

Also, she seemed either reluctant or slow to move off the road before being hit either just stepping on the pavement or still on the actual road.

It wasn't a clear cut case and so many conflicting witnesses.

I still believe the fine shocking!
Hunter is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
corbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,610
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTech 70's View Post
Hi John.

I agree with you 100%-you are voicing the opinion of a lot of us, society is headed to hell just at the moment. It needs decent folk to help apply the brakes.

Regards,

Adrian
Sure but how do you apply the brakes? People like that just don't see reason. The only way is to build more prisons and get cause and effect into the psyché of the masses. Crime must equal consequence once again and that means a guaranteed place in a cell, without a playstation.

Maybe after that we can start on morals.
corbo is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Gosh you guys got back from court quick

So how was it - was the evidence first hand compelling ??


"We think Rhiannon was probably a few inches, or a foot, in to the road and then she moved towards the pavement," said Sgt Mahon.

How do you have full impact with someone who is or isn't on the road be it a few inches or a foot...?

I don't think this is as clear cut as it first reads


Chris
Good morning,Chris


I was making my statement,
on the fact that the actions of cyclist
led to a death,
seems he could have swerved,stated
he was not stopping,
time factor here,
time to state not stopping
time to take action,
ie;swerve.
Also the fact that the police took
court action,
also the fact that
he was fined,
I`m sure you will agree that
this makes a sound footing for
my posting.


John
ludite is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
Sure but how do you apply the brakes? People like that just don't see reason. The only way is to build more prisons and get cause and effect into the psyché of the masses. Crime must equal consequence once again and that means a guaranteed place in a cell, without a playstation.

Maybe after that we can start on morals.
Hi,Cordo

I feel that people as a whole are good and just,
though we no longer live in communities
that allow us to unite in our dismay
of other,(the few)
which blight our live`s.
prison, is not the answer,
Isolation on a cold wet moorland/island,
with little or no contact with those
they wish too upset,
and give thier families a break from them also
ie; no visits,phones etc.

John.

Last edited by ludite; 09-07-08 at 11:41.
ludite is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 205
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
Sure but how do you apply the brakes? People like that just don't see reason. The only way is to build more prisons and get cause and effect into the psyché of the masses. Crime must equal consequence once again and that means a guaranteed place in a cell, without a playstation.

Maybe after that we can start on morals.
How to apply the brakes? Stand up for those things in which you believe. Don't descend to a lower level. I agree that it is necessary for the populace as a whole to once again feel part of a community- the trouble is that the younger generation feels disenfranchised.
A larger prison population means more strain on the exchequer and those sentenced feeling even more alienated, IMO.
AlfaTech 70's is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,679
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludite View Post
Good morning,Chris


I was making my statement,
on the fact that the actions of cyclist
led to a death,
seems he could have swerved,stated
he was not stopping,
time factor here,
time to state not stopping
time to take action,
ie;swerve.
Also the fact that the police took
court action,
also the fact that
he was fined,
I`m sure you will agree that
this makes a sound footing for
my posting.


John
No problem John,

But should we judge him to be evil ??

I understand the family's grief and would never see a sense of justice or come to the opinion that their daughter could have played a part.

One thing is for sure, loss of life in these circumstances is truly tragic - but to condemn a man on the word of a angry family member and a press angle is very dangerous....


As you say has the conviction brought balance ?? perhaps the very fact he did not face manslaughter - which I am sure could have been...could be the key.

Chris

Chris
chrisd_b is offline  
Status: Daddy bear
Global Mod Team
 
bazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Congleton - The centre of
Posts: 44,613

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Chris is right. The court have chosen to fine him, and not charge him with manslaughter. This means that the evidence they saw - much more complete than that the papers have deigned to show us - does not support manslaughter.
It's certainly tragic, but I don't think we can categorically state that the cyclist should be imprisoned or whatever.
bazza is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
No problem John,

But should we judge him to be evil ??

I
As you say has the conviction brought balance ?? perhaps the very fact he did not face manslaughter - which I am sure could have been...could be the key.

Chris

Chris

Chris,

Evil, such an evil emotive word,

I feel sure that cyclist did not intend
too run a person down that day.

Though,

Remorse appears to be lacking
in his/police defence.

I`m just trying too make the
point,

We all can and should take
our course thru each day
with a little thought towards
our fellow travellers.

John.
ludite is offline  
Status: One foot in, one foot out!
AO Platinum Member
 
zulu ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wgc
County: herts
Posts: 42,278
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Very sad for that most unfortunate young lady and her family, indeed.:

Rogue mad cyclist? Front them like a Matador/Toreador? and at that split second when they are on you, step smartly to one side and kick their front wheel hard! Needs very precise accurate positioning and timing, to avoid foot entering spoked area, and the wearing of size ten Ammo' boots and gaiters is worthy of note? Done it, in my headstrong youthful period.

Not much chance now shuffling in my slippers as I do nowadays.: Poor lass, arrogant Barsteward, who should be flogged at least, and put on a P1 Diet, in solitary, at least, for years. Time to repent on his arrogance, and criminal behaviour, imo.:
zulu ferret is offline  
Status: Has returned! Glad to be back.
AO Silver Member
 
JimmerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 2,998

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

This is a shocking story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludite View Post
Good morning,Chris
I was making my statement,
on the fact that the actions of cyclist
led to a death,
seems he could have swerved,stated
he was not stopping,
time factor here,
time to state not stopping
time to take action,
ie;swerve.
Obviously the guy didn't set out to kill the girl, but through his actions he did. As John says above, he had time to shout a warning when he could have just as easily moved completely out of their way, or braked hard to a stop.

Also, he shouldn't have been riding on the pavement, that's a huge no. Why was he riding on the pavement? To ensure his safety from other vehicles? What about pedestrians who belong on the pavement?

17mph is very fast to hit someone.

Let's look at it from a different angle... if someone was driving a car at 17mph toward someone crossing the road, honking their horn, but refusing to stop... would we still stick up for the driver?

The excuse "Well, I honked my horn" would be laughable.

The driver would receive a minimum of a couple of grand fine plus a 12 month ban.

Unfortunately, there's no such recourse from cyclists who think they are always in the right as they are vulnerable to other traffic.

There is no situation where a cyclist should hit a pedestrian. It just shouldn't happen.

JimmerUK is offline  
Status: In love all over again......
AO Silver Member
 
cooper1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,336

Member car:

GQV and Brera V6

Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

It amazes me that people are always prepared to be judge and jury in cases such as these.

By all means have an opinion but don't pretend you have heard all the evidence first hand.

Unfortunately cases are often NOT black and white.
cooper1997 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,301
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1997 View Post
It amazes me that people are always prepared to be judge and jury in cases such as these.

By all means have an opinion but don't pretend you have heard all the evidence first hand.

Unfortunately cases are often NOT black and white.
Hi,Cooper


Sorry that you find me amazing
For it would appear on reading the
article a second time.
I have no need to Pretend
to have heard all the evidence.
it would appear those sitting on the case
have done that.
If you were there and are aware of more
pertinent points not
mentioned at court o rby
the newshounds.
then please enlighten me.

For I am not an amazing person.
though I must plead guitlly
to being called
Down to earth.


John.
ludite is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,711
Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I agree, but if someone hurt my kid, I wouldn't care less about the law. Really.

My own life would be over right that moment.
I'm with you on this one BF... I'd deal with the matter myself, as life wouldn't be worth living any more without my son.
EMBER is offline  
Status: In love all over again......
AO Silver Member
 
cooper1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,336

Member car:

GQV and Brera V6

Re: "Move Because I'm Not Stopping!"

Hi, not you personally but people generally.

I have my feet firmly planted on the ground thanks, having both prosecuted and defended cases, and the fact is that there are at least 2 sides to every story, usually many more sides.

Its about being fair and trying to see things from the other point of view without wearing the blinkers of bias
cooper1997 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome