We are buying too much food - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 62 Old 07-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
We are buying too much food

So Gordon Brown reckons we are buying too much food. Does this idiot who just happens to be prime minister think we buy it for fun?

I very rarely waste food, and I know most normal people are the same.

Perhaps he is giving us a hint that VAT may be added to food...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Re: We are buying too much food

It wouldn't suprise me.

Do you think they brought packed lunches to the summit instead of gorging themselves on the usual feast they have everytime they have an international summit?? I very much doubt it, and lots of food will go to waste!
mikebrown

they had an 8 course meal...fat g*ts.....

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I thought that 60% of food waste actually happens in farms ... not in our homes
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

He is a prudent Scot.

What he, I think, is saying is that food is not a commodity which is so available that you can afford to take it for granted. 2/3 of the world cannot do so.

I was born in the early 1950's - it was a few years after the war and even into the 60's I can remember food being an issue. We would not waste anything - Sunday lunch became Monday dinner - we could not afford to throw stuff away. These days I do throw stuff away without thought.

I am not saying those days were good - but it does pay to consider that we cannot take for granted that we will always be able to eat what we want, when we want, with no regard for the consequences.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Last edited by PaulR; 07-07-08 at 19:26.
AO Platinum Member

and yet George W Bush is subsidising farmers to grow biofuels ... go figure
mikebrown

we need to bring back "dig for victory" mindset.....

Nev

Although I think there is a valid point
in the amount of food that is binned
(from the home and also the suppliers
who are forced to bin blemished produce
so the supermarkets can say they bin
almost nothing) I think this whole thing
has been brought to a head by the idiotic
dash for biofuels.

(Post Link) post #9 of 62 Old 07-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Maybe he was referring to John Prescott

Seems the greatest bulk of our home food wastage consists of out of date ready meals which really does go to show how far divorced we are from the actual realities of 'food shortage'
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

It's fair enough I suppose, raising awareness of the amount of food wasted each year.

However, in the same way as picking on the motorist and blaming us for the ice caps melting (and taxing us to death because of it) is not really addressing the real problem, he seems to be ignoring the larger causes of waste food produce. Taking the easy way out, as usual.

I'm not aware of him taking the all-powerful supermarkets to task, for example, regarding their mindless rejection of hundreds of tonnes of fresh farm produce just because a few apples don't look quite 'appley' enough or some cucumbers are too bendy or some other such nonsense. He's afraid of telling the supermarkets what to do, but it seems he's not afraid to lecture Joe Public, the condescending t**t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
we need to bring back "dig for victory" mindset.....
Too true, I've had an allotment for a few years now and it really is true that the taste is far superior to supermarket pap, I've even got a grapevine in my greenhouse and had home made wine last year!
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire

Member car:

159 JTDm Qtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I very rarely waste food, and I know most normal people are the same.
May be true for you, but sadly most people are not the same. Over 45% of food bought in this country goes in the bin.

I'm no great fan of Gordon, but on this one he has a point.
AO Platinum Member

That's because the supermarkets will go and tell him to ****** himself ... which is the stance we should take ...

Seriously though, the reason that supermarkets refuse non-perfect food is because us as the consumer will not buy it, we are so used to perfect food that anything less will be rejected ...
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post

Seriously though, the reason that supermarkets refuse non-perfect food is because us as the consumer will not buy it, we are so used to perfect food that anything less will be rejected ...
...Because people have been conditioned to be
fussy *******s by supermarket advertising.

(Post Link) post #16 of 62 Old 07-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Most of the poor cuts of meat, and badly shaped vegetables will end up in ready meals or petfood, so a lot of food will be re-cycled there IMO.
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

Quote:

You are absolutely right.

What we need is total re-education and in my opinion this should be driven by the supermarkets.

They need to get together and agree to spend a percentage of their vast marketing budgets on re-educating the public that fruit and veg is natural produce and therefore does not always look identical.

We as consumers have come to expect 'perfect' looking fruit and veg and the supermarkets have been happy to pander to that at any cost (except, obviously, their own). I see it as their responsibility to initiate a reversal to this mindset.
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire

Member car:

159 JTDm Qtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Most of the poor cuts of meat, and badly shaped vegetables will end up in ready meals or petfood, so a lot of food will be re-cycled there IMO.
Also not true unfortunately.

Friends of mine had a farm and were contracted to a large supermarket. Their potatoes weren't deemed big enough, so the shop refused to take any of the crop and told them they had to plough them back in rather than sell them to a rival store. They lost everything.

Last edited by jdrrco; 07-07-08 at 21:32.

Quote:
That's because the supermarkets will go and tell him to ****** himself ... which is the stance we should take ...

Or maybe we've been led to believe that the perfect shape will result in the perfect taste! Wandering around the veg sections in continental supermarkets reveals all manner of different shapes and sizes of produce as we had here not so very long ago, bring back That's Life with nobby and bollocky spuds is what I say, FREE THE VEG!
(Post Link) post #20 of 62 Old 08-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I think I would prefer eating vegetables that taste good but look odd, to ones which look good and taste of nothing. Unfortunately supermarkets stock the latter.
0of0

No waste in my house - I am nicknamed the 'human hoover'

I've removed all my flowers from my garden this year (and put them into pots) and now have a veggie garden. I was sick of supermarket veggies having NO taste, and going off within days of buying them..
I'd rather wait and grown my own, or use a local farm. I wanted ducks for fresh eggs but the ex said that was going too far (and I didn't even mention wanting a goat for fresh milk )
I was told from a very early age not to waste food, as so many others have none..
So I rotate the tins in First In First Out (FIFO) and meat is all frozen when brought, and defrosted the night before it's going to be used..
As much as I hate the current "prime minister" he has a point about how much food is wasted now.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrrco View Post
May be true for you, but sadly most people are not the same. Over 45% of food bought in this country goes in the bin.

I'm no great fan of Gordon, but on this one he has a point.
Are you sure about that figure? The stuff I've read on it claimed an 8% figure for the UK, but 45% for places like India.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Dig for Victory? I like it.: Keep a 'Porker' at the bottom of your garden, feed it your waste table scraps, plus a bit of extra collected from neighbours, then when it is well primed, pop it's clogs and share with those neighbours. Few chickens wouldn't be amiss either? Now about that Anderson shelter, and my ARP black tin helmet. Wonderful days of yesteryear, just those bombs they kept a dropping.

2008? We are excessive in most things imo, need food, fuel etc. to be rationed? As said, won't know what has hit 'Em, 'Til their Bellies are Empty!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Dig for Victory? I like it.: Keep a 'Porker' at the bottom of your garden, feed it your waste table scraps, plus a bit of extra collected from neighbours, then when it is well primed, pop it's clogs and share with those neighbours. Few chickens wouldn't be amiss either? Now about that Anderson shelter, and my ARP black tin helmet. Wonderful days of yesteryear, just those bombs they kept a dropping.

2008? We are excessive in most things imo, need food, fuel etc. to be rationed? As said, won't know what has hit 'Em, 'Til their Bellies are Empty!!
I don't think I could do that.. Couldn't care for something that was going to end up on the table..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page