Peoples Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 05-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 156 v6

Peoples Problems

ok im 20 and i got a 2.5v6 alfa 156 and it just so happens its got the big spoiler on and everything but why when ever im seen by a police car do i get pulled over when im doing nothing wrong i understand i look a bit young to be driving the car but you would think after you have been pulled over once or twice it would stop i lost count when i hit 15 times that ihave been pulled over since i got the car in feb this year all for the same reason
then i get people on the street and in cars next to me shaking there heads when they see me i asked someone why the otherday and i quote "your just another one of those hoodies going round taking drugs robbing old ladies and stealing cars" the only people that dnt seem to be nasty towwards me are other alfa drivers probably some off the best people on the roads as far as im concerned im an enthusiast not a racer thats why i got an alfa can people not get this into there heads or should every 20 year old have a corsa lol

leave later drive faster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Peoples Problems

I think you may being victimised. When I was 20 I was driving a 3 litre 164, and I never got stopped. I also drove lots of cars when I was in my early 20's like GTV's Evo 6's and a TVR and I didn't get stopped.

I have been stooped once though in a 146 Ti when I was 26. I picked up a mate from a nightclub at 2 o'clock in the morning, the police obviously only saw me come out and get into the car so they pulled me over and breathalised me.

Obiously I hadn't been drinking, as I would never drink and drive.

Just don't let them put you off keeping the Alfa. They should soon get fed up with pulling you over.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
VO2Max

Take the wing off!

AO Silver Member

County: Powys

I'm nearly twice your age, and I like the high wing, but I deliberatly chose one with out for the exact reason you mention.
Also I would look a bit dull at my age with a hi wing 156
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Take the wing off!
And let 'em win????

Put a BIGGER wing on

AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

Definitely the wing - look at the trouble this copper went to, to pull a rotary wing over.

Last edited by Chill; 17-05-15 at 11:39.
Nev

15 times!? What are they actually giving
as an excuse when they pull you?

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

This seems extreme to me too, 15 X, has the muffler been changed?, if the car is noisy, the police go after them.
My son was fined over $700. for various things by a cop, one of them being the aftermarket tail pipe was too large. He put the stock muffler on and sold it, he also fought the tickets and the judge threw them out.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 animal View Post
ok im 20 and i got a 2.5v6 alfa 156 and it just so happens its got the big spoiler on and everything but why when ever im seen by a police car do i get pulled over when im doing nothing wrong i understand i look a bit young to be driving the car but you would think after you have been pulled over once or twice it would stop i lost count when i hit 15 times that ihave been pulled over since i got the car in feb this year all for the same reason
then i get people on the street and in cars next to me shaking there heads when they see me i asked someone why the otherday and i quote "your just another one of those hoodies going round taking drugs robbing old ladies and stealing cars" the only people that dnt seem to be nasty towwards me are other alfa drivers probably some off the best people on the roads as far as im concerned im an enthusiast not a racer thats why i got an alfa can people not get this into there heads or should every 20 year old have a corsa lol
You've been stopped 15 times? Where on earth do you live? Consider yourself lucky that there's enough police resource present to be able to stop an innocent driver more than 15 times.

I can imagine it is a pain in the butt being stopped, but the 156 is an attractive car so it catches the eye. The big spoiler shouts hooligan, and you're quite young. Those things combined are enough for an officer just to check that everything is kosher with the young lad in the fast car (additionally, their line of thinking could be...'that's an expensive car for lad to maintain and insure; it might be worth checking it has ticket, tyres, tax etc'). I'm not for a moment suggesting that your car isn't 100% above board, i'm just trying to think through the thought process of an officer when he sees a smarter than average car being driven by a young lad.

I'm sure you are, but try and be polite to the police - we can't have the rozzers thinking that Alfa drivers are anything but a shining example to other drivers.

Consider this your duty now

Now off you go to get stopped again

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post

I can imagine it is a pain in the butt being stopped, but the 156 is an attractive car so it catches the eye. The big spoiler shouts hooligan, and you're quite young. Those things combined are enough for an officer just to check that everything is kosher with the young lad in the fast car (additionally, their line of thinking could be...'that's an expensive car for lad to maintain and insure; it might be worth checking it has ticket, tyres, tax etc'). I'm not for a moment suggesting that your car isn't 100% above board, i'm just trying to think through the thought process of an officer when he sees a smarter than average car being driven by a young lad.

I'm sure you are, but try and be polite to the police - we can't have the rozzers thinking that Alfa drivers are anything but a shining example to other drivers.

Consider this your duty now

Now off you go to get stopped again

g
Traffic police don't have to stop you for tax and insurance checks, they can call it in, or if the car is ANPR fitted then it does it automatically whether the copper wants it to or not)

I look pretty young (when I'm not carrying a few days facial fuzz) and have never been tugged by the rozzers in my 156, and only once in my 200SX (and that was a genuine speeding caution)

Could be location, could be driving style, could be over zealous plod, but it's not always going to be because of the car that the old bill take an 'interest'

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

People who drive Alfa's tend to be more interested in cars than the average driver. So in theory an Alfa driver is more likely to comply with the law..
AO Member

Member car:

156, Spider

15 times is ridiculous. I really sympathise with you as it sounds like you're getting harassed senseless. I never had this problem as when I was 20 I was still plodding around in a MkI Fiesta, but friends from school would rock up in Porsches, E Types (and one or two Suds), all sorts of stuff and never had anything like that sort of attention.

When they pull you, what do they actually say?

Quote:
People who drive Alfa's tend to be more interested in cars than the average driver. So in theory an Alfa driver is more likely to comply with the law..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an Alfa driven badly or inconsiderately, or even look as though it hadn't been reasonably well looked after.
You'll have to watch Top Gear tomorrow

Nev

Quote:
That's certainly my experience. I don't think I've ever seen an Alfa driven badly or inconsiderately, or even look as though it hadn't been reasonably well looked after.
Doesn't matter what people are driving down
here.

I still can't get over the 15 stops.

Not a case of DWB is it?

AO Member

Member car:

156, Spider

Quote:
You'll have to watch Top Gear tomorrow
Actually, it was a bit of a lie anyway. I managed to drive my Spider on top of a new traffic "calming" flowerbed installed at a car park nearby the other day. Not something I'll boast about when it comes to good driving or looking after my cars, although it's one reason why I'm so ****ed off with Tesco in the other thread.

Quote:
Not a case of DWB is it?
Hadn't thought of that, actually.
Nev

Quote:

Hadn't thought of that, actually.
That's 'cause you've not got a
pessimistic nasty mind like mine.

AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Quote:

I have nothing to add to what the others have said, but one thing I have to say....... PUNCTUATE!!!!! I got out of breath reading your post!!!! (sorry - and hope you take this with the humour that was intended)
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

If you are really getting fed up with it, try taking off the spoiler for a while and see if that helps.

Sorry to hear that you are getting stopped so often.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
should every 20 year old have a corsa lol
Of Corsa they should.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Grow a beard and wear tweeds
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

15 times is hugely excessive. I'm 28 now and remember getting stopped 7 or 8 times when I was 19. Wasn't driving a great car - was a Fiat Panda. However, I had long hair and they thought it just said "druggie" to them so I was stopped and searched regular, even a few times out walking. Wasn't breaking the law so never charged but was a pain all the same. The policeman at the desk at the station got to me and didn't even bother checking my docs as he had seen them that many times.

Bit of a ramble but I complained about my treatment, saying I felt I was being victimised and discriminated against and would be contacting my MP etc if this continued. End result was the only times I have been stopped since was for things I should have been stopped for e.g blowing exhaust. Be calm and reasonable (it's hard though!) and make a complaint. Might not work but might make them move on to someone / something else.

I had a corsa GSi once, all kitted up etc I'd get stopped in that quite regularly.

I bought the Alfa when I was 20 and was expecting to get pulled quite often, but in the 16+months of ownership the only times I've been stopped have been for genuine reasons. Mrs robo-rent-a-cop got a bit carried away searching me once though but thats another story

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page