My God !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

bobster

My God !!

I'm not a Naive person but this is well...........

Thieves have ripped off 3 large bronze plaques from a major war memorial on Plymouth Hoe this week. They ripped the 3ft square plaques which listed hundreds of names of servicemen lost in WWII, each weighing 30kgs. They have also damaged the stone work in their rush to steal them.

It really amazes me how low these scum will stoop, each plaque will have to be replaced at nearly £2000 each and take months to replace, while the scum would only get a few hundred quid for them.

It seems that 2 blokes have been arrested now and 1 of the plaques found in 4 pieces, but what's the bet they only get a slap on the wrist!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Re: My God !!

The problem is the courts are a joke so there is no deterrant and there is a complete lack of respect in society.
AO Silver Member

There really should be some crimes that still result in a good old fashioned burning at the stake.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
It seems that 2 blokes have been arrested now and 1 of the plaques found in 4 pieces, but what's the bet they only get a slap on the wrist!
That's outrageous! Something should definitely be done, to think that someone would actually have so little respect for this country's servicemen and women to do that.

I'm speechless.
VO2Max

They are filth.

I wish we would bring back the Stocks - have it policed properly to make sure no nasty stuff like stones are being thrown at the little darlings, just lots of nice soft rotten fruit to make them stink and show them how people feel about them. This is in addition to the 'conventional' sentence they would receive of course. I guess you could call it community punishment. It wouldn't be seen as such a 'badge of honour', like an ASBO might be.

In a funny way, whatever else might be said about the comfort or otherwise of modern prison life, it strikes me that in these modern PC times, toerags like these have no real idea of just what disgusting acts they perpetrate. The criminal justice system is somehow so sanitised that they don't really realise just what they have done. No one is allowed to shout at them or tell them what they think of them, from arrest to incarceration (in the somewhat unlikely event they might actually receive a custodial sentence). In a way, it's all a bit too civilised.

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Speechless.
happy man

Birch em

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Hmm people who nick metal.. I wonder if they could possibly live in caravans

Burn them
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Quite, quite appalling.
I think they should be left in a 5-a-side pitch with a group of current and ex-servicemen who could 'explain' the truly nasty nature of their mis-deeds.

The debt we owe the servicemen (and women) of this country during the 2nd World War can never be underestimated or forgotten.
Current politics aside, I include the US and parts of the occupied Eastern States of Europe and other members of the Allied Forces.
I'm sure Germany, Italy and France are better places now than during '39-'45, especially for some minority groups.

Last edited by milowokie; 03-07-08 at 16:13. Reason: forgot which side the Italians were on.
roeburndale

Send then to the units that the memorials represent and let the serviceman show them the error of their ways

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

You only have to imagine a world under the SS to see the debt we owe to that generation.

Maybe a tour of Belsen should be arranged when they are caught.
Nev

Don't forget the ****oids who'll
buy these as scrap and melt them
down. ******s.

Wait untill they start ripping off the graveyards.My brother wasn't buried for 24H untill they stole the brass vase and plate from his grave
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry-graig View Post
Wait untill they start ripping off the graveyards.My brother wasn't buried for 24H untill they stole the brass vase and plate from his grave
[Speechless]

harrythesnotgobbler

Strap the plates to them and make them wear them for a year, 24hrs a day.

Then melt the plates down

then remove them from the thieves

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that about my brothers grave.I do apologise.This is a public forum and I have no right to do this
AO Silver Member

No need to apologise.
People who do that sort of thing are the scum of the earth.
A couple of weeks ago, we( my wife, her mother, and I) went to my sister-in-law's graveside to put new flowers in her vases (aluminium) that we had put there last year, but the vases were nowhere to be seen.
It makes me seeth that people can do that it without regard of the distress it causes people.
AO Silver Member

Terrible
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Disgusting behaviour. The low financial value of teh metal as scrap somehow makes it even more distasteful.

I'm in agreement with VO2Max. A good 48 hours in the stocks would be MILES better than the usual punishment and would cost society a lot less. They say we don't have enough prison places anyway, so why not?

Probably breeches their human rights to be punished.....
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by milowokie View Post
I include the US and parts of the occupied Eastern States of Europe and other members of the Allied Forces.
And the Russians maybe?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
And the Russians maybe?
I think the Russians were part of the Allied force, unless that was Groucho Marx with FDR and Churchill at Tehran and Yalta.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by milowokie View Post
I think the Russians were part of the Allied force, unless that was Groucho Marx with FDR and Churchill at Tehran and Yalta.
Well, yes, it was just that the way you phrased it made it sound like Russia didn't play much of a part.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Well I think we all know who fought on 'our' side, against the Axis Powers.
They used to be Germany and Japan.....seemed to now be refered to as The Nazis and Imperial Japan, just to distance them from the current countries.

So we didn't defeat Germany on VE Day, just the Nazis. A bit like saying we fought in Iraq to defeat the Ba'athists.

Let's not allow this to get into an Historical Debate, the thread's about low-level scumbags who difile the monument to brave men who sacrificed more than they would in the same circumstance.

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...

Last edited by milowokie; 04-07-08 at 14:03. Reason: don't want to head OT.
bobster

Probably classed as an old fashioned view but I really DO think there should be National Service& it should also extend to people up to 35yrs who have been on Benefits for a year or more !!

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

appalling behaviour. I do like the idea suggested earlier about the stocks, but also about arranging a little 'meeting' between the little shi5 rags, and serving members of the forces who've seen their colleagues killed on duty. I'm sure the forces could 'help' the gits quickly develop a whole new appreciation of the term respect...

g

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page