People with Extendable dog leads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 02-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

People with Extendable dog leads

Why cant people with this type of lead ever control their bl00dy dogs , the dog is always running round 5 metres in front of them out of control .

Whilst walking my hound this morning i came across a bloke with 3 labradour sized dogs on this type of lead . i crossed over the road to avoid a confrontation with these dogs because my hound gets a bit snappy when she's on a lead . Just as i was passing his fecking dogs came over still attached to his stupid lead that was not locked and started hassling my dog , and he just stood there unable to control his dogs at all with a stupid grin on his face

Confronted with 3 barking dogs my dog would have done serious damage to his , i'm not bragging here but she's a powerful dog , i already had her on a short lead , but this [email protected] just stood there a did **** all to get his dogs off , my missus had to get them off for him whilst getting tied up in his stupid extendable leads in the process .

I ended up giving him a mouthful in the middle of the street and he still stood there with a stupid grin on his face , saying

'they only wanted to say hello'

I had to walk away at that point cos i would have slotted him .

I thought leads were part of controling your dog , how can someone be expected to do this on a 5metre piece of string.
Obviously they have no control of their dogs off the lead so compensate with a stupid extendable one where they can reel it in like a ****** fish .

I'm now going to carry a pair of scissors with me and start cutting the stupid extendable leads in half .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Shiny red 159Ti

Re: People with Extendable dog leads

Oh, I'm with you on that one. I have a 3 year old, and can't count the number of times a dog has come bounding up to him and terrifying the life out of me. The fact is, although they might know their dog is friendly, I don't know them from Adam, and they might be about to start laying into him Those stupid leads really are useless

I always say something, and I often get that 'he's just being friendly' or 'he's just saying hello'. How would his stinky mutt like to say hello to the business end of my foot?

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Alfa Stalking Trumpeting Muppet No3 & one half of the Scandinavian Trumpeting Pasta Monster
Nev

Because you can't control a dog on
one of those they should be banned,
end of.

I sympathize with you,those leads should be taken off the market.Although I take all precaution with my Rottweiler(muzzle and short leash) when I take her for a walk their is always a little ankle snapper on one of those leashes looking for a brawl.
AO Member

Member car:

96 gtv 2l ts

oh yeh agre on that one i have 4 staffs and i walk them all together on short leads and harness....lo and behold you get the oh they want to play brigade who think its funny there wee whipper snapper faces up to the big bad staffies........like i say all the time see how loud you laugh when my dog has your mutts head in its mouth!! but of course its then all my fault cos i own big bad devil dogs and they have just the wee innocent westie that likes to snap and growl in big dogs faces for fun grr.........same old same old bad bloody owners no bad dogs!! cut the extendable leads and while we are at it put the stupid owners on the lead its them thats out o control........ok rant over im happy lol
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

We use an extendable lead but always bring the dog in short when there are other people or dogs about until we know how they are going to react.

The counter to this is that there are an awful lot of people who "teach" their kids to be scared of dogs just by their actions. Not a good thing - dogs need to know who's the boss and a cringing adult or child certainly is not in the dogs eyes.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Like most things in life it's not the item that's the problem it's how the item is used. We use those leads, but we are always careful to 'reel her in' whenever other dogs or people are around us. With a young dog who wants to stop every 10 foot to look at something, or bound off for a few yards regularly it's practically impossible to keep her on a short lead. With these extending leads you can let the dog have some space but still control her when you need too.

Don't condemn the item just because some owners don't use them properly.

Why don't we ban kids??, you never see them on leads and they keep approaching our dog when it's safely on it's lead, hand outstretched... she's a Puppy she will chew things.. hands included
Nev

Yup, you just need to watch ol'
Dog Whisperer to see that it's all
down to the humans in the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macg29 View Post
oh yeh agre on that one i have 4 staffs and i walk them all together on short leads and harness....lo and behold you get the oh they want to play brigade who think its funny there wee whipper snapper faces up to the big bad staffies........like i say all the time see how loud you laugh when my dog has your mutts head in its mouth!! but of course its then all my fault cos i own big bad devil dogs and they have just the wee innocent westie that likes to snap and growl in big dogs faces for fun grr.........same old same old bad bloody owners no bad dogs!! cut the extendable leads and while we are at it put the stupid owners on the lead its them thats out o control........ok rant over im happy lol
The Portuguese gov. over here has recently banned all Rottweillers including other dangerous breeds .The vicious half breeds with dumb owners have been overlooked
(Post Link) post #10 of 32 Old 02-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
We use an extendable lead but always bring the dog in short when there are other people or dogs about until we know how they are going to react.

The counter to this is that there are an awful lot of people who "teach" their kids to be scared of dogs just by their actions. Not a good thing - dogs need to know who's the boss and a cringing adult or child certainly is not in the dogs eyes.

Too true Fraser , we use a normal lead but i still bring her in short around other dogs and people , like you say you never know how their going to react . but there are those out there that think its o.k for their dog to run round on 5 metres of lead and eveyone one else will accept that the dog 'just wants to be friendly' or 'just saying hello'.
(Post Link) post #11 of 32 Old 02-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry-graig View Post
The Portuguese gov. over here has recently banned all Rottweillers including other dangerous breeds .The vicious half breeds with dumb owners have been overlooked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Yup, you just need to watch ol'
Dog Whisperer to see that it's all
down to the humans in the equation.

I dont believe there is such a thing as a dangerous breed , as Nev says its all down to the owner and how its bought up , same goes for kids!

Maybe the title of my rant should have been

The [email protected] who cant control his dogs on an extendable dog lead

We do have some sensible dog owners on here , i just cant see the point of this type of dog lead .
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post

Don't condemn the item just because some owners don't use them properly.
But don't you think they're used as a bit of a cop-out?
What I mean is when people are meant to have their dog
on a "lead" (Which should really mean "under control") having
the thing extended defeats the purpose of having
them on the lead in the first place?

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

The leads are great if used properly. I have much more of an issue with out of control kids!
scsc

Tag the dogs.

Put the kids on leashes.

Sorted.

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
But don't you think they're used as a bit of a cop-out?
What I mean is when people are meant to have their dog
on a "lead" (Which should really mean "under control") having
the thing extended defeats the purpose of having
them on the lead in the first place?
No I don't agree Nev. Our young Staff is likely to run off if she sees another dog, sometimes she does come back when called, but she's young and excitable, on the extender we can catch her and pull her back in. If we just used a short lead all she would be able to do is walk alongside, OK you may say that's what she should do, but in reality she stops and sniffs a bit then runs on ahead or out wide and is much happier, she's easily catchable on the long lead and we bring her in and lock it when other people, dogs, Bikes etc are around. I don't see a problem there.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post
I don't see a problem there.
That's because you're a responsible dog owner.

What I was trying to say is that some people use these things to
comply with the letter of the law (dog must be on a lead)
but having a dog tethered to a 8 meter "fishing line" doesn't
really achieve what the law/rule intends:
"My dog's on it's lead so I've complied with the law and
it can wander wherever, whilst I idly chat with my friends
and all is well with the world.......oh don't worry, it's jumping up
on you/your kid to be friendly....."

As I said before it's a human problem. And most of them
seriously need training.

happy man

Dogs are stupid slobbery brainless creatures that should all be kept in penns

Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
YouTube - Nokia Cat-Fan

I rest my case.

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

The counter to this is that there are an awful lot of people who "teach" their kids to be scared of dogs just by their actions.
Agreed, I've had an Italian Mastiff for 2 years after collecting him from a rescue centre at nearly 12 months old. He's a big dog but was mistreated in the past and was very scared of people. He's a lot more confident now and will now approach people on the street/field, but is still wary. What really sets him off though are people who don't know dogs and run around him, scream or flap their arms about. This upsets him, and fortunatley his first reaction is to get away or get behind me. It wouldn't bear thinking about what a 10st mastiff would do to someone who REALLY upset him.
He's OK with other dogs and people who come up to him a 'greet' a dog in the proper way.

I understand how some people would see this as a lack of control on my part ie my dog is not passive in all situations and under COMPLETE control, but I know my and his limitations and will try to avoid a situation (as described in the initial post) that could get out of hand.

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
A little unfair, I'll be bringing mine to the next meet (in Hi-Vis vest) and will show you what a PROPER growler is.

Last edited by milowokie; 13-04-16 at 13:23.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
The leads are great if used properly. I have much more of an issue with out of control kids!
You need to use the leads on kids too IMHO!!
AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

Yeah we use the lead locked to the length of a normal lead until we get to the park (where dogs are allowed to be off lead), where we let him run around us. If we let him off the lead completely he'd be down the road and we'd never see him again.
AO Silver Member

i dont have a problem with dogs but i do have a problem with people who let their kids run riot in restaurants ive been known to stick my leg out as the run past me for the umteenth time

and when did kids start being allowed in pubs

I have 2 small dogs, and I use extender leads for them both.. My older dog comes back on command, but we are still training the puppy, so it helps we can encourage her with a gentle tug.
When walking my Jack Russell over the park I have her off lead, and call her back when anyone shows up. It's teenagers who go over the park drinking with badly trained dogs, and think it's funny when they start looking for a fight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29alfa View Post
I have 2 small dogs, and I use extender leads for them both.. My older dog comes back on command, but we are still training the puppy, so it helps we can encourage her with a gentle tug.
When walking my Jack Russell over the park I have her off lead, and call her back when anyone shows up. It's teenagers who go over the park drinking with badly trained dogs, and think it's funny when they start looking for a fight..
Congrats on the silver star!!Jack Russell's are just in another league!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page