Why can't people use roundabouts properly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 30-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Warning Why can't people use roundabouts properly

I live near Stevenage in Hertfordshire, and for those of you that don't know most of the roads in the town centre and industrial area are dual carriageways connected by roundabouts in a rough grid pattern.

On the way to work I have to go back on myself round a roundabout on the industrial area.

I indicate right entering the roundabout and then left as I pass the exit before I want to leave and start drift to the Left to exit the roundabout - after checking my mirrors and left for cars outside me.

Cue a twit in a lorry to pull on to the roundabout from the entry before my exit.

Fine I think - I can't see indicators so he is turning Left - there is no exit straight on for him on this roundabout, and adjust my trajectory to exit the roundabout in the right hand lane.

As I draw level with the cab the indicators start to flash - he is going right round the outside of the roundabout. Only some swift avoiding action on my part keeps me from under his wheels, and I end up going around again!

This idiot could have caused a serious incident.

As I see it he is guilty of three offences - not looking to see if anyone is on the roundabout, not indicating his intentions until late, and turning right from the outside lane and therefore blocking anyone from leaving the roundabout form the inside.

I wish I cold say it was an isolated incident - but I see the results of these actions all too often around here with cars pulled up with minor knocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Why can't people use roundabouts properly

Was he French by any chance?

No lane disciple on approach or
whilst on the roundabout, late or
no use of indicators and not yielding
all sound very Frenchie Sylee driving to me.

AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

It is sad but true that a lot of people these days just see roundabouts as an overtaking opportunity, with little or no regard for other road users.

Either that or at the other extreme you get these utter berks that can't understand a simple 'just give way to the right' instruction... get two or three of these planks at the same roundabout at the same time and the whole traffic flow just grinds to a halt.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 30-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Was he French by any chance?

No lane disciple on approach or
whilst on the roundabout, late or
no use of indicators and not yielding
all sound very Frenchie Sylee driving to me.

Didn't appear to be.
Believe it or not traffic coming on to roundabouts has right of way in France - no wonder so many cars in paris carry battle scars.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Prior View Post
Believe it or not traffic coming on to roundabouts has right of way in France - no wonder so many cars in paris carry battle scars.
Technically those are old style traffic island (rond-point) and not new style roundabouts (carrefour giratoire/giratoire).

Most French don't know the difference, hence all the trouble.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Freddie View Post
It is sad but true that a lot of people these days just see roundabouts as an overtaking opportunity, with little or no regard for other road users.

Either that or at the other extreme you get these utter berks that can't understand a simple 'just give way to the right' instruction... get two or three of these planks at the same roundabout at the same time and the whole traffic flow just grinds to a halt.
Unfortunately, near us people only use the simple 'just give way to the right', and don't bother with the 'give way to traffic which is already on the roundabout' rule. Also doesn't help that Bristol City Council (AKA 'the imbeciles') enjoy having roundabouts where 1) you turn right from the left lane, 2) you turn left from the right lane, 3) you have 2 lanes at the entrance and one on the exit.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
Unfortunately, near us people only use the simple 'just give way to the right', and don't bother with the 'give way to traffic which is already on the roundabout' rule. Also doesn't help that Bristol City Council (AKA 'the imbeciles') enjoy having roundabouts where 1) you turn right from the left lane, 2) you turn left from the right lane, 3) you have 2 lanes at the entrance and one on the exit.
I agree 100% on that Mave. Bloody BCC
AO Member

County: Bristol

Mave

Agree 120% mate. BCC seem to think that all motorists in Bristol can only read road signs if they're painted on the road just 25 yds from the bl00dy turn off they relate to. Trouble is, all the traffic is so nose to tail, yu never get to see the (*&*^ signs!!
AO Silver Member

Glad I'm not on my own then!
I worked out the other day why I get confused coming South from M5 through Cribbs Causeway then towards Westbury; the lane marking says (IIRC) Cribbs Causeway and B4018. So you get in that lane, and it drags you off to the left, you then find it is to Cribbs only. The imbeciles have created a new lane on the right which is now the B4018, and it isn't marked until you're committed to going the wrong way! Any visitors to the area must despair.....
0of0

IMHO - there are far too many drivers on the roads these days that are totally oblivious to other road users - I have points for speeding which is an easy 'cash cow' for the authorities - that alone is not unsafe driving - you have to be nearly phsycic these days to know what others are doing before they do! - Rant mode off

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire

Don't get me started about round-a-bouts!

There is a round-a-bout near Cannock where everyone seems to want to approach in the left hand lane in order to travel 3/4 of the way round on the outside! There is no way that you can cross the stream at rush-hour to take either of the first two exits so you are forced to follow the same path round the round-a-bout.

I had a run in with a bloke and his mate in a van last week when they took exception to the fact that I had traveled round the round-a-bout on the inside and then tried to exit at the same time as they did. He then decided to tailgate/pen me in behind a truck for the next 5 miles.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page