Ripped-off - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 24-06-08 Thread Starter

Ripped-off

Only having done a few hundred miles since my last major service (156 GTA) not quite a year ago, I only wanted to have the oil and filter changed when the "Service required" warning light came on. I rang an indie and was quoted 60.00, but was advised that a "small service" would only be 105.00., so opted for that instead. Of course, what I had overlooked was that any service at all gives the garage carte blanche to look for other things that allegedly need attending to, so by the time the work was done I wound up paying nearly three times the cost of the oil/filter change I originally wanted, largely because I was charged with pollen filter replacement and other unecessary c--p like that. I stood and argued for 30 minutes with them, and got a reduction, but still had to fork out well over twice what the oil/filter change would have been. For me this just boldly reiterates that it is bloody obvious that one has to state as clear as chrystal exactly what work is required, or else expect to get shafted !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Ripped-off

I have had this tried on me, I guess they assume a woman will put up with it, and say nothing... Not likely with me

I just make it very clear now.. I tell them what I want, and if they find any problems to call me BEFORE they do anything, or I will be charging them for messing up my car.

Seems to work well, and the place I used pre Alfa were really good with me being so honest and upfront with them.

Can anyone suggest any independent or Alfa garages Heathrow way (or within say 50 miles) ??
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Many moons ago i worked as a service receptionist and we would never do any work without prior consent from the customer, they have no right to do anything other than what you had requested.

AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

I remember earlier in the year a work colleague put her Marea Estate in for an MOT and she was let with a bill of nearly £900. Car was hardly worth that (V Reg). She eventually paid the bill but thought she would be notified if the work was going to be that expensive. She never got an itemised bill either IIRC. Needless to say she doesn't go there now. Strangely I think this garage is a member of the "Good Garage" scheme
VO2Max

They should have phoned you to get you to authorise the work, SLB - not good enough on their part!

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Steve - give it a rest mate.

Paul.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Can anyone suggest any independent or Alfa garages Heathrow way (or within say 50 miles) ??
Bianco Auto on the A217 between Reigate and Gatwick have always been fair with me.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
They should have phoned you to get you to authorise the work
What He Said !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page