Bl**dy Halfrauds - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 15-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Bl**dy Halfrauds

Got some new pads last week. 12 year old at Halfrauds assured me that there was only one pad listed for my car. I wanted Ferodo, but they only had Halfords in stock, so that's what I got.

Went to fit them today, and the new ones are different. Drove back across Bristol to the same branch, same bloke was at the parts counter. Took my reg number, and he told that the parts supplied were correct, even though they were different to the old parts in my hand. When I asked if he could show me the Ferodo catalogue (what for mate?) it turned out that the Ferodo catalogue recognised that there was a difference between engines sizes, whilst the Halfords catalogue didn't. And they still haven't got the Ferodo parts in stock.

So, having spent the morning pulling apart and cleaning the old brake system, I now have to put it back together with old pads so I can drive it to work tomorrow. At least the weather was nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: Bl**dy Halfrauds

And I bet thats the last time you'll use Halfrauds to buy car parts.

Terrible
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

they really are shocking mate I try not to use them for anything other than car washing stuff! Hope you get the correct pads soon!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
they really are shocking mate I try not to use them for anything other than car washing stuff! Hope you get the correct pads soon!
Same as.......Washing stuff, bulbs, fuses and thats about it.
AO Member

I can completely understand your frustrations, but its not the member of staffs fault they were the wrong ones.

You've got to remember though that the person that assisited you was probably being payed national minimum wage and is expected by the genral public to be a 'expert' in absolutley everything the is sold in the store.

Halfords employees take a hell of a lot of stick from people, and never get any recognition. Just think about that next time your in a store.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by superturismo View Post
I can completely understand your frustrations, but its not the member of staffs fault they were the wrong ones.

You've got to remember though that the person that assisited you was probably being payed national minimum wage and is expected by the genral public to be a 'expert' in absolutley everything the is sold in the store.

Halfords employees take a hell of a lot of stick from people, and never get any recognition. Just think about that next time your in a store.
I wouldn't blame the assistant, I would blame the management and those responsible for making sure the parts list is correct.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by superturismo View Post

Well then perhaps Halfords should 'splash out' and maybe employ some people who know what they're talking about to adivse their customers!
Rayq81

Its not the assistants fault the catalogue is wrong, Im sure the in house training does not cover catalogue errors

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Well then perhaps Halfords should 'splash out' and maybe employ some people who know what they're talking about to adivse their customers!
Hmmmm.......minimum wage to emply a pleb fresh out of school,
or double that to employ someone who knows what they're talking about.

Aint big business wonderful?

kevjtd

firstly, getting the correct parts is not always as easy as some think , that's why a brake catalogue is about 1 1/2 inches think . don't be too hard on the halfords guy, he can't be expected to everything
secondly, twice the minimum wage i don't know of anyone in the motor trade that gets that amount, never mind working for halfords
thirdly, its all too easy to knock someone on a sunday who is trying to help. how come you weren't at work today (or probably yesterday ). if you think you are better than the guys who work there then apply for a job in halfords and make a difference
an old saying i like is 'never ask someone to do something you wouldn't be prepaired to do yourself' don't slag someone off just because you feel you are better than them, mistakes happen
rant over

(Post Link) post #11 of 31 Old 15-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjtd View Post
firstly, getting the correct parts is not always as easy as some think
Well, the bloke in the next place I tried realised straight away that there were two different types, and and also realised that it was important to make sure I got the right ones

Quote:
Its all too easy to knock someone on a sunday who is trying to help. how come you weren't at work today (or probably yesterday ).
I wasn't in work because I was mending my car. Clearly I can't do that at the same time as being in work. And I was in work yesterday, and the previous Sunday and Saturday, and I don't see why that matters anyway. Also the bloke who was trying to help me was actually more interested in chatting to some other "assistant" about what he was up to last night, until I asked him if he could help me after waiting for 5 minutes ignored at the parts desk with a box of brake pads conspicuously in my hand, and he was the same bloke who was "helpful" to me last Tuesday lunch time when he assured me that there was only one fitment. And not an apology in sight...

Quote:
if you think you are better than the guys who work there then apply for a job in halfords and make a difference an old saying i like is 'never ask someone to do something you wouldn't be prepaired to do yourself' don't slag someone off just because you feel you are better than them, mistakes happen
rant over
Where do I say I feel I am better than them? Would I be prepared to do their job? Absolutely, and with a smile, and enthusiasm. In the same way I've done many lowly paid jobs in my life, and just got on with it. And no, I'm not going to apply for their job, but I am going to write to their head office and politely suggest that they sort out their fitment guides.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Obviously the guy in Halfords didn't know......... So surely low or highly paid ......... He should have he didn't know for sure........ I get asked many questions every day (and I've been doing my job for 20 years in different companyies)........ and if I don't know for sure I say so .

Or is that a too simplistic opinion ???

Cheers To All
Peter
alfafamily

As someone who orders parts from a motor factor every day I must agree that it is not always easy to get the right part. Most factors these days ask for you car reg number which is then tapped into a computer. The computer then uses a data base to come up with the spec of your car and possibly a part number. It is a rubbish system believe me and wrong parts are being sent to me more and more frequently so I do sympathise.
The answer to it is to get some forward knowledge of the parts you are after.
Eg.Get the part number from your filter so they can cross referrence, whip out a brake pad and draw round it so you can check the new ones in the shop, or go to a site such as Fram or Quinton Hazell where you can find your part number in their brand to get a cross ref to the make you want.Doing it this way gives you a better chance of getting the right bits. Its all a bit of a ball ache but better than having your car in bits with the wrong parts in your hands

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddwiss View Post
Same as.......Washing stuff, bulbs, fuses and thats about it.
Don't forget the comedy value the performance and modification section has
Admin Team

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Don't forget the comedy value the performance and modification section has
It's a way cool section for people who want a backbox or a set of wheels that are worth more than their car........ ........

Cheers To All
Peter

i asked could i use there bulb fitting service to fit my dip beam bulb on my gtv...they declined as the shop was shutting in just over an hour and it may take him longer than that? so i went home and did it in ten mins.... imagine a service request
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman2007 View Post
i asked could i use there bulb fitting service to fit my dip beam bulb on my gtv...they declined as the shop was shutting in just over an hour and it may take him longer than that? so i went home and did it in ten mins.... imagine a service request
Not sure I'd trust them to fill my washer bottle......

Cheers To All
Peter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman2007 View Post
Well done - 10 minutes - took me 30 - and the blood dripped from my fingers afterwards. A totally crap piece of design - those clips have no logic to them.

We paid £2.50 for the Halfords guy to fit the headlight bulbs to Liz's 147. It was worth it for the entertainment value alone - took him about 13 minutes. I pointed out one was upside down - another 10 minutes and we got our money back from the manager. Poor sod doing the job - he was a Saturday worker and about 12 years old - I slipped him a fiver tip as we left - those headlights are rubbish from a maintenance viewpoint.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

they always spell ALFA....as ***** in crap garages...AKA HALFORDS/kwik fit

Hmmm Re: Bl**dy Halfrauds

Sorry Alfa As *****:
(Post Link) post #22 of 31 Old 15-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
As someone who orders parts from a motor factor every day I must agree that it is not always easy to get the right part. Most factors these days ask for you car reg number which is then tapped into a computer. The computer then uses a data base to come up with the spec of your car and possibly a part number. It is a rubbish system believe me and wrong parts are being sent to me more and more frequently so I do sympathise.
Eg.Get the part number from your filter so they can cross referrence, whip out a brake pad and draw round it so you can check the new ones in the shop, or go to a site such as Fram or Quinton Hazell where you can find your part number in their brand to get a cross ref to the make you want.Doing it this way gives you a better chance of getting the right bits. Its all a bit of a ball ache but better than having your car in bits with the wrong parts in your hands
Yeah, I usually use a motor factor around the corner from me but... the only time I can get there is Saturday mornings, and I've been working Saturdays for the last few weeks so no chance
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
the point i was trying to make, but put much better

I needed a new number plate recently so took all of the bloody documentation reqd. (i.e. utulity bill,passport,driving licence and logbook) along with the old plate into my nearest branch of Halfords about 10 miles away. I picked up the new one later in the day and drove home. When I arrived home and unwrapped the new plate they have contrived to transpose the letters so that it read "PZB" instead of "PBZ". If they can't get a simple job like that right, what the *&%& can they do !
AO Silver Member

Don't be too hard on the teenagers on the checkout; they are only following orders.

I had the same shenanigans with a new battery. Catalogue blatantly listed a part which wouldn't fit.

Credit where credit is due, they did give a full refund no quibbling, and the deputy manager did listen when I pointed out the crapulence of their catalogue.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page