Text and drive - don't do it !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 54 Old 11-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Text and drive - don't do it !!

I just sat in slow moving traffic for 20 mins with the woman behind in a Micra clearly texting - she did not notice me moving forward and hence delayed the traffic behind, then she drives towards me with the head down looking at the phone and I am waiting to get rear-ended ! I got really nervous on a steep downhill section.

I hope to God that the text and drivers never kill an innocent person, because as is usual, they will walk away from the accident without a scratch.

Don't. Its impossible. Buy a hands free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Re: Text and drive - don't do it !!

People should switch off their phones on entering their cars.
Period.

That could be automatic, couldn't it?
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

when you consider a child could potentially be killed for the sake of a call/text.....
AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

I have mates that talk on the phone while driving. I refuse to continue the phone call when that happens.

Texting is even worse. There is no way you could possibly be focused on the road.
AO Silver Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hmmmm...

i have started (on my motorbike) stopping in front of cars (at a safe speed position etc) if i see the driver on their phone. has the desired effect most of the time, get a few "What?" facves though :@
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

I totally agree, but living in Bristol and travelling home in the car at rush hour I see lots of people sat in queues with nothing to do.......so I guess their mind wonders to there phone and they probably text their other mates to tell them they are stuck in a traffic queue! I am not condoning the practice at all, but I can see why people do it.

I like the idea of phone that would not work unless they were connected to a hand free kit. Seems sensible.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Nice one Pigfarmer. Using my mountain bike to some degree on the roads I totally see your point.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

RED156 vel.FiXED

I use the bike 90% of the time for my commute and it has a 'semi' legal exhaust if i pull up to someone whos one the phone i'll pull in the clutch and really open it up ( works best on open top cars)

i had one woman in cardiff ask me to turn it down as she was on the phone!! (she'd been on it for 5 minutes and i pulled up next to her at the lights)
AO Silver Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hmmmm...

thats quality Jinx.....hadn;t thought of the exhaust one, i have done the Horn though...nicely draws attentiuon to the idiot!
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Faromeo View Post
People should switch off their phones on entering their cars.
Period.

Agreed. 100%

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

I find it strange that as drivers we seem to pick and choose which laws we are going to obey. Using a mobile phone while driving is seen as a definite no no, yet most of will break the speed limit at some time during every journey we make.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
I find it strange that as drivers we seem to pick and choose which laws we are going to obey. Using a mobile phone while driving is seen as a definite no no, yet most of will break the speed limit at some time during every journey we make.
What he said

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

But I would never speed where I felt it dangerous to do so.
There is no place where I would judge it safe to be on my mobile while driving.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
But I would never speed where I felt it dangerous to do so.
There is no place where I would judge it safe to be on my mobile while driving.
Does that mean that in the places where you speed, it is not against the law ????

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Does that mean that in the places where you speed, it is not against the law ????
That is exactly what I trying to get at G.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
No, it means that my reason for not using the mobile phone is that it is stupid - not that it is against the law.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

I don't think your point invalidates Roswell's so..... What Roswell said

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

It doesn't invalidate it as a point, it just looks at it from the opposite perspective.

I guess an overly simplistic way of saying it is: I drive according to by own believes and decisions about what is the right thing to do, not according to what the law says.

An example of why this is overly simplistic is that it implies I pay no attention to the law - this is not true. You could say the law is my base position, and I then feel that I have the sense and the intelligence to sway from that position on certain subjects.

To take two obvious subjects:
Speed limits: Where I feel it to be perfectly safe to do so, I am willing to exceed the speed limit
Drink drive limits: I don't feel it appropriate to drink at all if I'm going to drive, so I do not.

Note that I say I have the intelligence to make my own jdugement on speed - I perfectly realise that I do not have the legal right to do this - and were I caught speeding I would therefore take the punishment deserved. For this reason my 'comfortable' speed is not only based on the road and conditions, but the knowledge that there may be a chance of being caught. I could count the times in my life where I have exceeded the speed limit by mopre than about 10mph on the fingers of one hand I think.

Hopefully I've just made my position on this clearer - although it's equally possible that I've just waffled on about sod all for several paragraphs.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
To answer Roswells particular point more directly:

I agree that, to some extent, I pick and choose the laws (although I can't think of another I choose to bend apart from speeding).
I pick based on a definite considered opinion that I am behaving safely.
To my sense of morals, this is very different to deciding based on what is convenient for myself.

This is actually exactly my approach to religion. I live my life according to moral decisions which I make. I try to treat people well because it is the right thing to do, not because God says I should.
My reason for not drink driving is similarly nothing to do with the law.
There are certain religious beliefs which are supposedly tied up with being 'good' which I don't agree are necessary to be 'good', and therefore I am quite willing to do them (when I get the chance ).
And again my reason for sometimes speeding is a direct analogue.

And I've just gone off on one again. Sorry
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

I see them every day........... on their phones driving (I never ever answer a call when I'm driving - it can wait !).......... women doing their makeup on the way to work............. people reading maps......... turning around to sort their kids out in the back......

........... When I lived in London I got rear ended once in traffic........the d*ckhead behind me in a granada was reading his paper......... When I got out and went back to him it was still open resting on the steering wheel !!!!!

Cheers To All

Peter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

bazza, you make an assessment of your level of intelligence and state it as fact, when we have no means to measure it other than the evidence you provide. Your willingness to break the law based on your belief that you are intelligent enough to do so tends to bring into doubt your ability to judge your own level of intelligence.

I would be foolish to push too hard on this point as the evidence is not sufficient to make a proper assessment. Or is it?

Suffice to say, we do not live in a society that allows you, based on your own assessment of your own intelligence, to break the law.

By all means direct your intelligence into bringing about a change in the law that you consider yourself to be too intelligent to obey.

Or stop being so arrogant and do as you're told

bazza is nomes and my love child

My Flickr address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibboleica/

My website: http://www.lawrencedavidphotography.co.uk/
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Gibbo, I fully agree that it is, at face value, a ridiculous statement. No doubt the vast majority of people would judge themselves sufficiently intelligent/sensible to decide themselves what speed was appropriate.
And no doubt, 99% of those people I would judge otherwise.

But, do you not see - this is different, because it is me saying it, and I know I'm right.

Seriously though, it's hard to put into words, but I know that I do not take any risks, and therefore I (and my conscience) am happy with the actions that I take.

EDIT: By the way, I most certainly don't state my intelligence as fact. I made a point of saying that I feel I have the intelligence necessary.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

I think I knew exactly what you were saying as you and I are the only intelligent ones capable of making such decisions

But it has to be a simpler scenario I'm afraid, due to the millions of muppets out there who do not possess our superiority

I think Roswell was pointing out that so many sanctimonious people harp on about certain laws being broken when, at the same time, they are quite happy to break the laws that they disagree with.

I am all for laws being changed when they are unsatisfactory. But not by constantly breaking them.

AO Platinum Member

County: Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast bob View Post
when you consider a child could potentially be killed for the sake of a call/text.....
Wasn't there a case in the UK about 5 years ago where this happened? Lorry drive texting mashed a car with some kids in IIRC.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

there are many cases now where it has been proven that a phone was used in the seconds leading up to a crash. Lorry drivers, young drivers, professional drivers, cabbies...they've all been caught by phone records that show their mobile was used minutes before a crash. And if the phone records don't shop them, then usually other witnesses do. Such as the kid who threw his phone out of the car after killing his mate by hitting a tree.

d'oh.

I would like to see what happens to the brain when driving, and the phone rings - if there's proof of some concentration reduction, while another part of the brain sparks up to manage the call. In my experience when using a mobile, or reading or replying to a text, it's after the act that's just as dangerous. By that I mean reading/writing the text takes up 100% of my brain (it isn't very big), but hitting the 'send' button isn't the end of the risk. You still have to take your phone out of the text menu options. Then, after I have sent it, a good 30 seconds is spent chewing over the text, the reply and the context. So you're still in the concentration distraction danger zone for a bit after sending the text, IMHO.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 11-06-08 at 15:39.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page