General driving standards - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
General driving standards

I'm normally a fairly laid back sort of person and enjoy my driving but the last couple of days have seen me getting a bit hot under the collar.

On my way home yesterday I approached a set of lights where there are 3 lanes which merge into 2 a couple of hundred yards past the junction. I was the only one in that lane and went past about 6 or 7 cars in lane 2 approaching the lights as they changed. All fine and dandy as I give a little press of the accelerator to clear the first car in lane 2 and checked my mirror to make sure I was clear before merging when some little prat in his Fiesta decides to move from lane 1 to lane 2 without indicating and obviously without checking his mirrors or glancing over his shoulder. I had to brake fairly hard to avoid hitting the muppet all the time aware of the guy behind. Luckily we all avoided each other but the look of bewilderment on the little oiks face as to why I had blasted the horn just summed up his lack of driving experience. Further down I sat behind another space cadet (on his own little planet) who sat in lane 2 and steadfastly refused to move back into lane 1

Now today approaching a roundabout which has two clearly marked lanes: the left lane for the first and second exits and the right for the third exit, a taxi driver decides that he wants to make up about 3 seconds detaches himself from my rear bumper into the left lane and proceeds right round the roundabout and off at the third exit. I went round beside him and chopped his nose off and gave a waggle of my finger in the rear view mirror (like a father to a naughty child not anything rude). He ended up behind me anyway, we were onto a dual carriageway so he gained nothing but decided the road markings didn't apply to him and he would just do his own thing.

As I said I normally enjoy my driving but there are so many ignorant and selfish people now on the roads it really gets me down. Normally I don't bother showing my objections as you never know who'll go psycho and pull a wheel brace or worse out of their car but there has just been so much recently I'm finding it difficult to restrain myself.

Anyway, I'll just go and take my medication now....

Hard work never killed anyone.

That’s the trouble – I want to engage in something that has a little danger to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: General driving standards

I blame speed camera's. These people now know that there are less police on the roads because of camera's and carry on as they like because they know the chance of getting caught is slim.

The general standard od driving is apalling in the UK at the moment, sure anyone can make a mistake but it takes the pee sometimes.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 jts

Got to agree with you there Big Jon, there`s hardly a day goes by without witnessing the same sort of incident you described.........it gets increasingly hard to keep your cool.........................................altho ugh the missus would argue that i don`t

I agree with Symonh, it's the lack of police on the roads. That and people driving without licences (pet peeve ) make it a lot less fun to drive.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I also agree with Symonh - nowhere near enough police on the roads to catch the idiots.

I recently had a little oik in his pocket rocket fiesta (with the standard dumpf dumpf CD) sit behind me at the lights in lane three as we moved forward and changed into lane two the little p---k accelerates past me and jumps between me and the car in front to get into lane 1 - how I never hit him as he went between us I will never know.

I gave a blast of the horn - he knew he was going to geta mouthfull but just refused to look at me.

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Agree - no police on the roads, general standard of driving seems to be getting worse. I see a big increase in the amount of people going through traffic lights which have just changed to red
AO Silver Member

County: -

I think the standard of driving is good on the whole. Of course, there will always be pillocks that ruin an otherwise fine trip, but most people are courteous and safe behind the wheel. We have one of the toughest tests just to get a license, and it gets harder each year, and i think it shows. I spend a lot of time travelling all over the country in my job and its only rarely that i see someone do anything really foolish. Most of the time its a pleasant trip. You were just unlucky.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
I think the standard of driving is good on the whole. Of course, there will always be pillocks that ruin an otherwise fine trip, but most people are courteous and safe behind the wheel. We have one of the toughest tests just to get a license, and it gets harder each year, and i think it shows. I spend a lot of time travelling all over the country in my job and its only rarely that i see someone do anything really foolish. Most of the time its a pleasant trip. You were just unlucky.
I don't think it was just down to bad luck. Despite my annual mileage being considerably less than it used to be I seem to be coming across more and more of this type of inconsiderate driving.

Just this morning some pillock in an Audi A6 tailgated me down the motorway, undertook dangerously (and was flashed by the Alfa 156 in the inside lane) before I could pull over, passed two more cars before moving back to lane 2 and tailgated the next guy. It was rush hour, the traffic was heavy in both lanes and this guy was so impatient he was a danger to everyone around him.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Well, maybe they are just out to get you. I wouldnt go out for a while. See if they lose track of you.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
Well, maybe they are just out to get you. I wouldnt go out for a while. See if they lose track of you.
Well, the car is pretty distinctive (slight understatement there ) so I try not to get into too many disagreements in case someone carries a grudge.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page