More uk.gov banning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

 
Thread Tools
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
More uk.gov banning

Anyone hear Dawn Primarolo on the radio
this morning going on about banning
cigarrette branding and hiding them
in shops?


When asked what evidence there was as to
whether this will reduce the number of young smoker
she basically said "'cause!"

Another of Blair's brainless bints.

Report and interview:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/li...g_20080531.ram

The listener comment about his kids thinking
plain black and white fag packets were "way cool!"
was hilarious.


Text:
BBC NEWS | Health | Cigarette machines may be banned
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Tentatively treading
AO Platinum Member
 
Hamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 15,686
Re: More uk.gov banning

It's becoming rather quite tiring, isn't it.....


Hamster is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,086
Re: More uk.gov banning

I think they should encourage people to smoke.
Firstly people would die younger meaning there are less old people to draw pensions, and other benefits.

Secondly they could raise more revenue from tax on fags, and use it to reduce the tax on motorists.

I am only kidding BTW.
symon is online now  
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: More uk.gov banning

There is just no end to this Nanny State is there? No wonder people take no personal responsibility for themselves...they don't need to.
David Jarrett is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
156Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 12,881
Re: More uk.gov banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I think they should encourage people to smoke.
Agreed, after all didn't harold macmillan make the decision that the revenue from cigarettes was more important than people's health ... he must have done a cost benefit analysis!!!!
156Chris is offline  
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Nige005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 16,303
Re: More uk.gov banning

From the cradle to the grave, we will tell what to to do, when to do it and how to do it. And watch you and tax you every step of the way. And don't forget you can't leave your house and cash to your kids, we want it. And if you need care in your old age, don't worry, we will provide it, so long as you give us your house and most of your savings. However, don't worry about this last thing, with the NHS as it is you are unlikely to reach an age where we will have to give you a pension or care in your old age, you wont make it that far.

Enough is enough, is there really no solution to this state that we have all been dropped in ?
Nige005 is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More uk.gov banning

Smokers are essential to the economy of Britain, they provide enough taxes to fund the NHS.

So of course the government don't actually want people to give up or not to start smoking, but they also have to be seen to be discouraging people from the habit.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 2,263
Re: More uk.gov banning

There's absolutely no evidence to support smoking causes disease....no....wait...there is isnt there. Oh ****!
Alfaspeed is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
156Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 12,881
Re: More uk.gov banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Smokers are essential to the economy of Britain, they provide enough taxes to fund the NHS.
There are various statistics that are banded around some state that they cause more of a drain on the NHS than they fund ... but others state (as you say) that they bring in more tax then they use ...


... a bit like the "speeding kills" slogan ... which is only because when accidents are recorded 9 times our of 10 the reason is put as speed, even though ultimately that is not always the reason


Lies, damn lies and statistics ...

EDIT: you just don't know what to believe ... one thing that I never believe is a "government report"

Last edited by 156Chris; 01-06-08 at 08:16.
156Chris is offline  
Voo
Status: I got cakes..FISHCAKES!
AO Silver Member
 
Voo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,915

Member car:

GT

Re: More uk.gov banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Enough is enough, is there really no solution to this state that we have all been dropped in ?
There sure is Nige

Infact there are 2 options

1. Next election vote for someone else

2. If the next lot are no better ANARCHY !

I'm going for option 2
Voo is offline  
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Nige005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 16,303
Re: More uk.gov banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo View Post
There sure is Nige

Infact there are 2 options

1. Next election vote for someone else

2. If the next lot are no better ANARCHY !

I'm going for option 2
With you on option 2 !
Nige005 is offline  
Status: ready to race
AO Silver Member
 
rafe005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 5,245

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Re: More uk.gov banning

I'm sure the reason that the 10 p tax rate was abolished and the reason fuel duty is going up at an astronomical rate is because they tried to get more money out of smokers by raising the tax drastically while pretending to care about our health by banning smoking in pubs etc etc....people have started giving up in droves and its left a massive cash shortfall
rafe005 is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More uk.gov banning

The smoking ban hasn't resulted
in a big drop in smokers in the UK.

I did hear that domestic violence
has increased due to the ban.
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,896
Re: More uk.gov banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
I did hear that domestic violence
has increased due to the ban.
Wouldn't suprise me.
Pud237 is online now  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome