Lorry Drivers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 31-05-08 Thread Starter

Lorry Drivers

These so-called 'professional' drivers amaze me by the way they drive. If I dove my car in the same way I would be pulled by the cops and charged with at least careless driving

We don't have any motorways down here in darkess Dorset but I had the missfortune to have to use thuis week the M1 up to Nottingham. I was appauled by the way the lorries tail-gate each other. We all know the dangers of tail-gating and to do it in a lorry is plain stupid

As I said if I drove like that in my car I would be stopped by the cops. How the hell do they get away with it ?

I know we have some lorry drivers on this forum, maybe they can reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Lorry Drivers

That's why I always drive at 100mph in the outside lane ... much safer!!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

As far as I know, lorries stay close together following so that the following lorry doesn't have to break its own airflow, helps with fuel econemy and such like. Thats what I am led to believe.

But I agree, if the one upfront has to brake sharpish....
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Why is it that so many lorry drivers also think that as soon as they turn on a right indicator on a two lane carriageway they can pull out immediately regardless of who is in that lane about to overtake them.

IF they are PROFESSIONAL and so much better then us mere mortals who have only been driving for 40 years then they must know that perhaps forcing people to brake does not demonstrate the consummate driving skills they so frequently brag about on forums and elsewhere?

Apparently not.

Grrrrrr.

Paul.

(That's better I haven't been in rant mode for a while).

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Last edited by PaulR; 31-05-08 at 14:52. Reason: I strive to improve ..............and fail
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 31-05-08 Thread Starter

I think the one thing that amazes me is the fact that the police seem to completely ignore this which to me is highly dangerous and illegal !!!! I've seen lots of photos showing what happens when a lorry stops very quickly and the load doesn't.....

After 500 miles I don't remember seeing a single marked police car.....
harrythesnotgobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANKMAN104C View Post
After 500 miles I don't remember seeing a single marked police car.....

They havent got time to patrol anymore, they are too busy putting new rolls of film in the cameras........now thats proper policing!

Not to mention the bottle-necks they can cause on motorways when one gets the bright idea they can overtake the wagon in front because they catch a bit of slipstream, only to pull out into the middle lane, lose the tow and therefore the extra half a mile an hour they thought they had but still sit there for the next ten miles!
I think motorways should have a minimum speed limit of 60mph with HGV's confined to the 60mph inside lane. You could have70mph in the middle lane and 80 in the outside lane. You could also have four lane stretches where poss, a crawler lane for wagons on uphill stretches and a banzai extra outside lane where space permits for some autobahn type action!
AO Member

thats because the mot know everything, like lets limit all trucks to 56 mph so they cant get past each other, remember not all trucks pull the same weight and have the same bhp, so you end up stuck behind each other till you hit a hill and hope you have more power to pass.i also give two sigals then pull out because after 18 years of driving 38 tonners then 44 , if you give car drivers to much warning they will put there foot down to stop you changing lanes.i could be on here all day long telling you of the stunts i see every day but havent the time.

156 04 20vjtd 2.0 gtv 02 daf scania
AO Member

p.s you will not have to worry for much longer, the way the fuel prices are going, iam not going to be able to carry trading. then you will have something to complain about, when the only trucks on the road are from europe, ie sorting insurance out, if you can speak polish if he stops after the accident do you know that the worst thing our police can do to them is park them up for a day then let them go, even if they havent had a rest for four weeks, if i go ten min, over my days driving they can do me upto two grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfatwice View Post
thats because the mot know everything, like lets limit all trucks to 56 mph so they cant get past each other, remember not all trucks pull the same weight and have the same bhp, so you end up stuck behind each other till you hit a hill and hope you have more power to pass.i also give two sigals then pull out because after 18 years of driving 38 tonners then 44 , if you give car drivers to much warning they will put there foot down to stop you changing lanes.i could be on here all day long telling you of the stunts i see every day but havent the time.
exactly, limited to 56 so you can't overtake except on a hill, so like I say, up that limit to 60 but you're restricted to the inside lane. Wherever possible on uphill sections an extra crawler lane should be provided so if you can't keep to 60 you can pull over and let your fellow truckers past. Either that or move goods back onto the railways and canals with distribution depots from the south to the north moving goods to where they're needed in smaller vehicles, using less fuel and making best use of the rail link from the continent.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Some lorry drivers are excellent at their job. Some aren't. The same applied when i was driving buses. There were some guys i wouldnt have drive me back to the depot because they just werent safe. I should think the same problem applies here. Unfortunately nothing gets done because there is a short supply of drivers.

I think it's amazing watching a good artic driver spin their rig round in it's own length to squeeze it backwards into a yard with an inch or two clearance on either side. I used to work painting commercial vehicles and taught myself how to reverse a 40ft trailer, never bent one but never got that quick at moving them either! actually I found the 40ft ones easier to negotiate than the 20 footers.
AO Silver Member

jeez not another hgv bashing thread

obviously everyone else on here is perfect at their jobs and never puts a foot out of place

most truckers will put their indicators on to idicate their wish to pull out and wait for the cars to move over or flash them out, which most do, but some car drivers are either pig ignorant or too engrosed in their satnav or mobile phone or kids or anything other than the road in front of them to even realise there is a truck wanting to pull out, so a lot of bad hgv driving is down to frustration with other drivers.

as for hgvs only being allowed in lane one i didnt realise everyone elses journey was vastly more important than any trucks journey. i guarantee my load is far more important than pretty much any car journey.

if all trucks are stuck in lane one nobody will be able to get on or off a motorway for the long line of trucks in the way stuck behind the asda wagon doing 50mph and the motorways would be awash accidents involving trucks going into the backs of each other through utter boredom and frustration. oh and everyone would soon get fed up of nothing being delivered on time because the driver ran out of hours 5 miles up the road

and the reason trucks tailgate is partly to do with lazyness and mostly to do with all trucks having give or take the same top speed, if they werent restricted you wouldnt get stuck behind any other trucks, because you would have the extra oumph to overtake, but that would mean we all would be doing 90mph pulling 40 tonne and nobody wants that.

im not saying all truckers are perfect, by no means, but to tar all with the same brush just because of the experiance you had on one day on one road is very small minded. i see idiot car drivers doing mindless things on a daily basis but i certainly dont consider all car drivers to be the same. some actually have a clue what they are doing
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 01-06-08 Thread Starter

I started this thread on tailgaiting and not on overtaking! It is obvious by the number of replies that there is some very strong feelings about the way a majority of lorry drivers conduct themselves on the roads. Yes I saw taigating and yes I had to brake hard several times when lorries pulled out infront of me but that is not what I am complaining about.

I do not think it is 'small minded' to talk about a highly dangerous activity on our roads with the police completely ignoring it.

This thread has obviously hit a sore spot with some of our members.

I used to have a real downer on lorries....but I have mellowed when I got a naff courtesy car a few years ago.

People can't appreciate how difficult it is to drive a vehicle that is so slow and without acceleration.

It was an absolute nightmare - so when you wanted to overtake you had to slip stream - so constantly up someones arse for that window that would enable you to get enough speed to overtake.

It made me appreciate how lorry drivers must feel - it can't be easy - and it can only be made worse - by self-centred ignorant car drivers.

Give truckers a break - they do a good job - and if car drivers actually gave truckers respect and room and not cut them up so they have to break and then lose momentum, and didn't bog motorway lanes they need to use...like Mr slow driving at 50 in the inside lane in his mondeo, then the roads would be a better place for truckers and us.

Chris

Last edited by chrisd_b; 01-06-08 at 08:03.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
...like Mr slow driving at 50 in the inside lane in his mondeo, then the roads would be a better place for truckers and us.

Chris
I thought Mr Slow drove at 50 in the middle lane? ... sorry that's a different thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
I thought Mr Slow drove at 50 in the middle lane? ... sorry that's a different thread
Sadly his brother drives at 52mph in the middle lane
AO Silver Member

im pretty sure you invited comments from truck drivers, very sorry if my comments werent what you wanted to hear, i was also responding to comments from other posts.

if trucks leave too big a gap you end up with cars drivers diving into it at the last minute to exit the m'way and you have to back away from them, and so on and so on.

plus a lot of tailgating will be where one truck has overtaken another and has just pulled back in but because the topspeeds are so similar it takes a while to open up a gap, now we could wait longer before flashing the truck back in but then you get idiot car drivers honking their horns and flashing their lights becuase they have been held up for 20 seconds

and if we are talking about highly dangerous activities on the motorways, how about undertaking, lane hogging, speeding, cutting up trucks, oh and tailgating something cars do a 90mph in the fast lane.
AO Silver Member

To be honest I've recently become of the opinion that the majority of truck drivers are actually better at using motorays than car drivers. When was the last time you saw a truck sitting in the middle lane with nothing to his left? They always pull out, pass what they want to pass and then pull right back in again - the same certainly cannot be said for car drivers!

Certainly some can be inconsiderate and indeed often pull out right in front of me with barely any warning, but more often than not it's a minor inconvenience and if I can't pull out then they're out of my way again within a minute anyway and I can carry on with my journey.

I think a lot of antipathy towards lorry drivers is simply because their vehicles are so damn big and nobody really wants to sit behind them.

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested
VO2Max

I was driving along a de-restricted B-road this afternoon in steady rain. We were doing about 45mph. I say 'we' because there were a few cars ahead of me and although if the road were clear I'd have been personally going a little bit quicker, I respected the cars ahead and kept my distance.

This ******** of a truck driver (big recycling lorry) was sat right up my chuff, couldn't have been more than 3m behind me! I don't like getting into all that putting my brake lights on stuff, so I put my hazards on for a few seconds. Nothing doing. So I lowered my window and gave him a long rigid finger, followed by gesturing backwards with my thumb. ********s like him don't take any notice of course, but at least he knew I thought he was a c*nt.

AO Member

Member car:

alfa75V6 200hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
Some lorry drivers are excellent at their job. Some aren't. The same applied when i was driving buses. There were some guys i wouldnt have drive me back to the depot because they just werent safe. I should think the same problem applies here. Unfortunately nothing gets done because there is a short supply of drivers.
Thats bus drivers for ya could'nt stand a bus driver on my coach as my 2nd driver.

always stoppin at stops took days to get to italy
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
if trucks leave too big a gap you end up with cars drivers diving into it at the last minute to exit the m'way and you have to back away from them, and so on and so on.

plus a lot of tailgating will be where one truck has overtaken another and has just pulled back in but because the topspeeds are so similar it takes a while to open up a gap, now we could wait longer before flashing the truck back in but then you get idiot car drivers honking their horns and flashing their lights becuase they have been held up for 20 seconds
Generally, I don't have a problem with HGVs, and I'm in agreement with your sentiment. But....

If trucks don't leave a gap, how is traffic supposed to get on and off the motorway? and whilst I'm perfectly happy to wait behind a truck for 20 seconds whilst it overtakes; but when the manoevre takes a few minutes, isn't that taking it a bit far?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page