Over taking lane louts.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 60 Old 25-05-08 Thread Starter

Over taking lane louts..

Ok ok so fine its an overtaking lane but please hear me out here....

I'm driving today on way back from Snetterton race track.....absolutly peeing it down, can barely see anything up the road, on dual carriage way with speed camera signs (on A14 A11) so i'm going along at 60/70 odd when clear road ahead. So come up to lorries and cars pulling caravans in 'slow lane' so i pull into 'over taking lane' its duel carriage way remember.......... and decide as i can see few lorries to just sit at 70 odd mph in that lane, now bear in mind the weather is horrendous, worse than fog as it's soaking wet as well and there are speed camera signs.....anyway my point is firstly some p**** in a Range Rover sport absolutly barrels up to my rear bumper flashing his effing lights, i can't get out his way as theres lorries in other lane so he practically driving over me!!! Why!!! ??? a) its dangerous b) there are speed camera signs, why would i suddenly decide to break speed because of him.... so when i have chance i pass lorries then pull into slow lane (i'm still touching 80 mph at this point cause he's risking me and my girlfriends life hes so close.. as he passes he trys to pretend to push me off the road...muppet. I want to give chase, stupid i knowrolleyes: , but my misses stops me anyway...

Then 30 mins later exactly the same with a guy in a Ford SUV, now why so impatiant for a start, they can see i'm using lane to overtake as well...then some noob in a BMW.............

Now i'm sorry but this is why it's not always great to condone flashing lights and driving into rear bumpers of guys trying to use overtaking lane to overtake but also stick to speed limit...not to mention the weather conditions.....

If anyone still reading this, thanks i know this opinion is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit as most people think fast lane is just to go fast and pee on anyone who's below their driving skill yeah right, any of those guys on a track wouldn't have a chance...i was pretty shook up by it, and its just self righteous drivers who think they have the right to go 100 plus in any conditions in the 'fast lane'...
idiots.................
rant over, sure i'll get flamed, but two side to every story........ and anyone can go fast in a straight line......its not cool to go 100 down a duel carrige way especially in torential rain.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Re: Over taking lane louts..

Well said, and I hear you
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

I'm with you there GT.

I remember driving thru France a couple of years ago and the rain was the worst i've ever encountered. I was struggling to see anything and had reduced to about 40 and there were still cars going past me at 60 & 70. I just can't imagine how they could see anything! I pulled over cos i was sh1tting myself!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

you really should've followed the range rover home and administered instant justice on the drive of his/her mock tudor abomination
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
you really should've followed the range rover home and administered instant justice on the drive of his/her mock tudor abomination

I'll only flash people who are blatantly sitting in the wrong lane or otherwise driving badly. I have no problem with people overtaking at the speed limit. As for them flashing at you - should have responded by switching on your rear fogs and dropping your speed to match the lorry you were passing
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post

...... dropping your speed to match the lorry you were passing
That's what i do when someone gets up my chuff()

roeburndale

No flaming here, you're completely in the right ...roads are full of idiots like those

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post

Now i'm sorry but this is why it's not always great to condone flashing lights and driving into rear bumpers of guys trying to use overtaking lane to overtake
Not always?!

I think anyone ever doing that should never be allowed to drive again. They clearly don't have suitable skill or a suitable temperament to be in charge of a vehicle.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

.... and I'm not going to mention the blue GTV on the M25 a couple of weeks back who overtook first using lane two, then lane one before going back into lane three.

Not what you'd expect from an Alfa driver - certainly hope it wasn't anyone here?

Did I say I wasn't going to mention it? I lied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
harrythesnotgobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post

I'll only flash people who are blatantly sitting in the wrong lane or otherwise driving badly. I have no problem with people overtaking at the speed limit. As for them flashing at you - should have responded by switching on your rear fogs and dropping your speed to match the lorry you were passing

Highway code

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226

Nev

More use of signals could help e.g.

Always leave the indicator on whilst overtaking.

Switch off indicator as a car approaches from behind
to show you know he's there.

Signal the opposite indicator to show you'll move
back when there is a gap.

And finally leftfoot touch of the brake pedal if he still
insists to sitting on your arse.

AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS SV

Or if they get too close back fog lights on
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Nev, I would not recommend braking with someone up your ass! seems a tad dangerous to me.. If they are crazy enough to drive inches away from the OP's car who knows what else they are capable of...

GT - it's a shame but there are many idiots on our roads. I remember a couple months ago in the snow on the M25 I had a c8nt in a Vectra inches away from the rear, really did annoy me. I think the best thing to do in these situations is pull over when safe to do so and let the person pass/crash somewhere else (as long as its not into my 145 and hopefully nobody else!)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Why put rear fogs on?
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar 145 View Post
Nev, I would not recommend braking with someone up your ass! seems a tad dangerous to me.. If they are crazy enough to drive inches away from the OP's car who knows what else they are capable of...
You don't have to brake to put your brake lights on.

I have to admit I would normally boot-it out of their way,
but in GT's case he was in a camera zone. So I'd not
take a flash for some Fake-Range-Rover driver.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

I understand what you mean Nev, I just think it requires a little too much concentration when you should really be paying extra attention to the road
especially in poor conditions and looking out for, standing water, spray, adjusting wiper speeds etc.

The priority and possibly safest thing to do should be to get out of the ****s' way and letting them pass!
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar 145 View Post
The priority and possibly safest thing to do should be to get out of the ****s' way and letting them pass!
I'd agree.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Top man!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

I don't think you are wrong to have a rant. You were unlucky to come across so many clowns in sucha short space of time.

They'll get their comeuppance eventually.... ...one way or another.
(Post Link) post #20 of 60 Old 26-05-08 Thread Starter

Thanks chaps............ i've tried to mention this before in thread ages ago and was royally flamed like i was ruddy Mary Whitehouse or something....and a certain member on this forum said if he came across someone doing speed limit in overtaking lane he'd flash his lights etc etc......

I like speed, i really do, my brother is a racing car driver and we are a petrol head family....but i hate folk in cars who purposfully fly up to your rear bumper and before you have a chance to move over they have already started flashing you!!!!! They then pass shaking head or in Range Rover d**ks case he pretended to push me off the road (i didn't ever think he actually would but its still intent, so dangerous driving if police saw it)!! think of those old chase films wear car along side rams other one off road, that what his threat to me, endangering another human being who happed to be going 70 mph in torential rain!!!

I just pray tht when they crash, they only hurt themselves..
(Post Link) post #21 of 60 Old 26-05-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
I don't think you are wrong to have a rant. You were unlucky to come across so many clowns in sucha short space of time.

They'll get their comeuppance eventually.... ...one way or another.
Jim it was a 3 hour journey, to be honest i'm amazed i only encountered 3 idiots.......... the roads unfortunatly are full of idiots and i'm not being self rightous here, i'm as ruddy bad at times for certian things (going for 'blasts' in the country being one )...but in the torential rain when the car aqua planes at over 70 mph....no thanks i'll stick to 60-70 odd thanks even if im over taking lorries going 40............ if i'm in the fast lane doing 70....deal with it for a bit, lifes too short...
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

On my way home from work I have flashed people in the overtaking lane for doing 65mph, when the inside lane is clear. I think it was ok as I had been following them for over a mile and they made no attemp to pull over. They did pull over after I flashed, but gave me the finger.

I had cars up my chuff as well because I had been slowed down, and one of them even overtook me and the car in front on the inside.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrythesnotgobbler View Post
Highway code

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226
If the conditions were as bad as the OP said then he may well have been justified in using them anyway
AO Silver Member

County: -

People who hog the middle lane (not overtaking) when they could pull in are plonkers and driving without consideration for other road users. Outside lane is for overtaking only and you were definitely ovrertaking. Idiots like the Range Rover are a danger to everybody. If people want to exceed the speed limit it's best to let them go they'll only put you or me in danger. Probably had a small ****?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

RED156 vel.FiXED

I used to have a brake light switch that put them on, in my old rally prepped mk 1 astra, in the right situations where nobs are acting that way and you are in the right in using the lane ( not doing 50 with the inside lane free) i'd let them come closer and whilst they are still flashing flick the light so they'd brick it, then boot it to get away from them and show them if i wanted to i could leave them in the dust

Childish but fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

« E.on | The Police »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page