Unmarked And Watching You - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Not Happy Unmarked And Watching You

Last night while attending to the joys of fatherhood (stomach upsets and the like) i watched Police, Camera, Action on ITV. Hadnt seen this for years. I'm a Road Wars fan on Sky.

A portion of it followed a cop prowling the streets catching unaware drivers in the act of all things illegal. Mainly talking on mobiles, speeding, and generally misbehaving. Thats fine, i dont have a problem with them as far as thats concerned. What i do have a problem with is the way they go about it.

The commentator (forget his name) says something to the tune of; 'This driver is so preoccupied with his conversation on his mobile that he doesnt spot the police car right next to him.'

At this point we have to side with the cop, although he doesnt pull right along side his victim, he keeps back just enough to stop the driver from noticing him. But then on the next shot we see what the policeman (cop is too American) is driving. A nice gun metal grey Golf!!!

That annoyed me slightly. If he had been in a marked car then its a fair-cop (no pun intended), but driving an unmarked Golf is hardly sporting. Of course the poor guy didnt see him. Not only did the policeman hold back, but he was driving the last car i would expect to be pulled over in.

The entire program was like that. Unfair advantage to the policemen with a rather patronising voice over from some chap telling everybody how blind these drivers are.

I dont condone driving while on the mobile, i think its a stupid thing to do but surely this is entrapment? Maybe it isnt, and if its not i'm sure someone will say so. For me i thought the police were supposed to be a visible deterrent, and not sneaking around unseen waiting for someone to slip up. He made the government £180 last night invisibly.

Ok mini complaint (not really a rant) over with.

Oh, and i know Road Wars do it too but at least they stick to cars we are all familiar with, and they tend to have set targets that they go after in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Unmarked And Watching You

It isn't entrapment, this t***** was on his phone whilst driving, had he not of been then the copper wouldn't of stopped him whether he was is a marked car or not..................

Just because a rapist wouldn't commit a sex crime if a copper was present, it dosen't mean he's not a rapist.
mudhut

I know what you mean Alfaspeed - there's the kind of feel to the whole thing that it's just getting too sneaky. But I think GT is right here in this instance - just don't do it and you won't (normally) get accused of it. It isn't entrapment in any way, shape or form.

I do however agree with your observation about the patronising voiceovers and the condescending manner in which some commentators and some of the police speak of the wrongdoers.

Along similar lines - has anybody heard about the speed camera law changes. I read somewhere ( can't remember where ) but speed cameras don't have to be painted yellow anymore & the speed camera signs arn't required. The article also showed a speed camera hidden inside a horse box being towed by a landie. There was also a bit saying how North Wales police are looking into using drone planes to catch you from the sky.
AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

GT DIEsel

Yes, I always found Alistair Stewart to be incredibly patronising especially since we all found out EXACTLY how he behaves on the road!

BBC NEWS | England | Hampshire/Dorset | Drink-driving TV host dropped

I get the impression he wrote his lines too, which is why there hasn't been P,C, A lately!

Last edited by whatmoretyres; 23-05-08 at 22:18.
(Post Link) post #6 of 33 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
It isn't entrapment, this t***** was on his phone whilst driving, had he not of been then the copper wouldn't of stopped him whether he was is a marked car or not..................

Just because a rapist wouldn't commit a sex crime if a copper was present, it dosen't mean he's not a rapist.
Yer thats fair enough. I agree that he should be caught but why not by a marked car? Why do they have to lurk in the background out of sight? I thought the whole point of police presence was to reassure the public and make these idiots have second thoughts about what they were going to do. Now it seems that isnt the case anymore and instead its all about hiding away and then pouncing on people unawares. Just seems a little off to me. But i take your meaning
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
Yer thats fair enough. I agree that he should be caught but why not by a marked car? Why do they have to lurk in the background out of sight? I thought the whole point of police presence was to reassure the public and make these idiots have second thoughts about what they were going to do. Now it seems that isnt the case anymore and instead its all about hiding away and then pouncing on people unawares. Just seems a little off to me. But i take your meaning
Hmm, as an avid fan myself of Road Wars I can fully see why we have the need for unmarked police cars. On Road Wars alot of the time we see drug deals / prostitution and the such and the need for an unmarked police car in these circumstances is detrimental to the job.

Otherwise the second the drug dealer etc saw the big white cop car with obvious blues & two's and graphic's he'd do a runner. The cars are used to 'sneak' up on criminals.

And yeah, of course it's sneaky, but it has to be.

The fact that one of these unmarked cars just so happened to witness a slightly smaller criminal offence and act upon it doesn't really mean we should blame the police.

Perhaps the presenter stating how stupid the driver was is slightly out of order considering the circumstances of it being unmarked. But the fact the ****** was on the phone in the first place should be what really matters.

AO Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
I thought the whole point of police presence was to reassure the public and make these idiots have second thoughts about what they were going to do.
Mmmmm ok. I think unmarked police vehicles are neccesary and therefore justified. Other than the previously mention justifications we could strip it right down to the bare bones..

Marked cars are a deterant in the sense that if offenders saw them they would not use there mobile phones, speed, run red lights, drive like loons essentially

However when the cats away the mice will play .... basically the offenders are the sneaky ones

Therefore if the coppers can catch them off guard....good on them, I'd have more unmarked vehicles.... it'll make our roads safer.
Darren156

What Alfie said.

AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

It's a little unfair alright, but it's definitely nothing like entrapment. Entrapment would be the equivalent to giving the guy a ringing mobile and asking him to answer it, then arresting him when he did just that. This was just pig playing dirty.
AO Member

Quote:
pig playing dirty.

Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealzbob View Post
It's a little unfair alright, but it's definitely nothing like entrapment. Entrapment would be the equivalent to giving the guy a ringing mobile and asking him to answer it, then arresting him when he did just that. This was just pig playing dirty.
How was he 'playing dirty'?

Thats like me murdering someone in an alley then complaining because an undercover cop in civies took me down,

It really bugs me how, as a nation, we do nothing but bad-mouth the police, then the instant something goes **** up we call them for help,

The **** was on a frigging mobile phone for ****s sake!!! It doesn't get much more simpler than that! If you break the law, you break the law.

The fact a thread has been started in the first place to defend some chump who could have killed someones child whilst he chatted to his mate Mike about the price of flooring at B&Q is ludicrous.

I don't give a **** whether the copper was hiding in a field across the road, or jumped out in front of the car holding a flashing neon sign saying 'COPPA'.

The dip-**** was breaking the law so he got called up on it.

I'm fed up with ***** who use their mobile phones whilst driving, and the more that get stopped and b0ll0cked by coppers the better in my book. As the second one of these morons crashes into your Alfa guys is the second you'll create a counter thread to this one boo-hooing about paint jobs and the such.

Sort your heads out eh fella's?

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
How was he 'playing dirty'?

It really bugs me how, as a nation, we do nothing but bad-mouth the police, then the instant something goes **** up we call them for help,
D156 I second everything you say. I've read several posts dissing the cops and it really hacks me off

Do people not think, not understand how much cops do, the situations they find themselves in (most shifts). They don't get enough respect or money for the job they do.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Well in fairness to Alfaspeed it was a pretty gentle post disagreeing with police tactics rather than the police themselves.

No way at all am I defending people who use mobile phones but the ''rules are rules'' arguement needs challenging sometimes.
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
Well in fairness to Alfaspeed it was a pretty gentle post disagreeing with police tactics rather than the police themselves.

No way at all am I defending people who use mobile phones but the ''rules are rules'' arguement needs challenging sometimes.
The original post isn't the problem, I think it's some of the views that have followed afterwards.

I'm with Darren and Alfie...

Original post is a valid one, but lets face it if a policeman stops a guy on a mobile i don't care if the Policeman is wearing dungaree's and riding a push bike, as long as he stops another arrogant driver who thinks its fine to drive around chatting away on his mobile....because i or my family could be the people the pratt crashes into through not concentrating!!!!!
Darren156

What GT said, my sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W55 ALFIE View Post
Therefore if the coppers can catch them off guard....good on them, I'd have more unmarked vehicles.... it'll make our roads safer.
I'd agree with you, if we had sensible road laws.

Speed limits that made made sense for the road and time of day.

More rules to prevent people dawdling, holding up traffic, MLMs, pulling out in front of you etc. and less persecuting those who just want to get where they are going, and maybe enjoy it a little.

If the laws were really targetted at bad driving in all its forms, rather than focusing on speeding and phones.

Then I'd agree with you.
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjadwarf View Post
I'd agree with you, if we had sensible road laws.

Speed limits that made made sense for the road and time of day.

More rules to prevent people dawdling, holding up traffic, MLMs, pulling out in front of you etc. and less persecuting those who just want to get where they are going, and maybe enjoy it a little.

If the laws were really targetted at bad driving in all its forms, rather than focusing on speeding and phones.

Then I'd agree with you.
Good counterpoint. I mean, I'm with you to an extent, as alot of our road laws are a bunch of old stupid tosh.

But saying that, I do agree with blatant acts of 'not driving with due care and attention' such as speaking on the phone, reading a map, eating a bacon butty etc should be called up on.

When I drive I give the road and fellow drivers my 100% attention and expect them to do the same. So when I see idiot to idiot yacking on the phone, not indicating, pulling out in front of people etc all because they are chatting away to someone on the blower it does annoy me.

But at the end of the day the copper is just doing his job.

I'm sure the average police officer doesn't want to spend his days stopping people again and again for being bad drivers, but there is a very simple solution: Drive carefully, be legal, and pay attention.

It isn't difficult.

In the same way with this mobile phone thread it's the same with the speeding thread. We've had a few 'Been caught speeding' threads pop up on here, and to be perfectly honest if people speed they are breaking the law.

If someone was doing 38MPH in a 30 Zone and a child does step out the stopping distance is increased dramatically, and like the girl says in the advert if they'd have been going slower she might have lived.

It's the same with phones. If the idiot chatting to his mate Jim about the football tickets that arrived that morning isn't paying attention when a child steps out and kills them as a result, then we'd have something to complain about. Not because the copper was driving a grey Golf,

AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by W55 ALFIE View Post

Sorry if I caused offence. I hate them. Any time I've ever needed their assistance (2 serious accidents that were someone elses fault as my no claims bonus will attest to) they've never been of any assistance at all. I could use much stronger language but I wont. Suffice to say my real thoughts would probably get me a severe warning on here
AO Member

[QUOTE=Bealzbob;1800845]Sorry if I caused offence. I hate them. Any time I've ever needed their assistance (2 serious accidents that were someone elses fault as my no claims bonus will attest to) they've never been of any assistance at all. I could use much stronger language but I wont. Suffice to say my real thoughts would probably get me a severe warning on here [/QUOTE

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way..

As for your no claims, thats up to your insurance company not the police. If there was a lack of evidence or corroboration, you can't blame the cops.... They do too much to be disrespected... I'm disappionted.

Last edited by W55 ALF; 24-05-08 at 20:48.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legless View Post
Have a look at these two sites - It'll blow your mind...

Speed Cameras

WHO ???????????? took all these pictures...

Either a well paid journo or same poor s0d thats been caught speeding far too many times and now has a huge vendeta against the law enforcers......
(Post Link) post #23 of 33 Old 24-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

lol Someone has lots of spare time!!

Thats fine though. They are all clearly marked and warning motorists of presence, unlike the one that was posted a while back that was a beat up old blue van that looked more like a builders van than a police one. Thats when i start to have a problem.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Not taking part in this debate as I think my views have already been well aired by other Posters.

However I was surprised when I read the " Telegraph " link by Legless, is this another sneaked through bit of legislation that we were all supposed to miss ? If that's the case it worked for me, knew nothing about it.

( For those not reading the link it refers to speed cameras no longer needing to be painted yellow and to have warning signs. )
AO Member

Quote:
lol

Thats fine though. They are all clearly marked and warning motorists of presence, unlike the one that was posted a while back that was a beat up old blue van that looked more like a builders van than a police one. Thats when i start to have a problem.

I refer back to my origianl post

"""""""""""Mmmmm ok. I think unmarked police vehicles are neccesary and therefore justified. Other than the previously mention justifications we could strip it right down to the bare bones..

Marked cars are a deterant in the sense that if offenders saw them they would not use there mobile phones, speed, run red lights, drive like loons essentially

However when the cats away the mice will play .... basically the offenders are the sneaky ones

Therefore if the coppers can catch them off guard....good on them, I'd have more unmarked vehicles.... it'll make our roads safer. """"""""

We need unmarked vehicles to get the message across, Do it and you'll get caught.. hopefully!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page