Parcelfarce incompetence - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave Brand
  • 1 Post By Keithy

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Parcelfarce incompetence

We're coming to the end, I hope, of another Parcelforce saga of incompetence.

While we were away on holiday we had what could be considered a significant anniversary. Sister-in-law, not knowing we were away (yes, we're a really close family) sent us a present to mark the occasion. As it was undeliverable it was taken to the local post office & an email sent to the sister-in-law, which she forwarded to us. The card left by the driver who attempted the delivery had no tracking number, date or time on it.

As we'd set up "Keepsafe" with Royal Mail we assumed that the parcel would be delivered with the rest of the mail they'd been keeping; didn't happen.

As the post office is at a distance which is too long to walk comfortably & too short to merit making a special trip in the car, added to which parking's difficult & there's usually a big queue, we decided to arrange redelivery. This was done on Saturday, Sep 31st, with a promised delivery date of Wed, Oct 2nd.

Wednesday came & went with no parcel delivered, so mid-afternoon on Thursday my wife phoned Parcelforce to ask why. After speaking to several people someone promised her that he would arrange for it to be delivered the same day. We weren't surprised when it wasn't. . .

Midday Friday I phoned to ask what was happening & when would it be delivered. Despite the fact that I quoted the redelivery reference which clearly stated the Wednesday delivery date the person I spoke to just kept repeating "it takes three to five days". When I asked just how difficult it could be to ask a postman to pick it, put it in the van & deliver it on his next parcel round the reply was that that can't be done. Post Office personnel are not allowed to deliver it - a Parcelforce driver has to go to the Post Office, collect it & deliver it!

OK, now it's become a game! Next move? We've put in another redelivery request; it should be delivered tomorrow (Wed, October 9th).

Watch this space!

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

Last edited by Dave Brand; 4 Weeks Ago at 20:25. Reason: Wrong date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Parcelforce - Royal Mail operate as two separate companies. You are lucky he didn't take it back to depot. Here the Parcelforce depot for Scunthorpe is in Rotherham! 35 miles away.

What I have never understood is that when Royal Mail cannot deliver and take it back to the sorting office the card says please leave 24 hours from the time on the card rather than next day. Theoretically this means that if they tried to deliver at 4:00pm (yes our deliveries can be that late) then, since the SO shuts at 3:30pm it is not possible to collect it the following day. However it must have been returned the same day as the attempted delivery so why is collection not possible for 24 hours.

Procrastination is the thief of time
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Wednesday 7th October is next year! They've given themselves some breathing space.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Wednesday 7th October is next year! They've given themselves some breathing space.
Edited!
Harvo likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
You fell for their trap, just try waiting for the 31st September
Harvo likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Update:

It wasn't delivered yesterday. A manager is now looking into why it hasn't been delivered & will ring back; yeah, of course he'll ring back. . .
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
It is still at the Post Office and you cannot collect it as the failed delivery card has no tracking number which is their only reference.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

The card has my wife's name on it, which in the past has sufficed; however, when (if) this manager does ring back the lack of address date, time & tracking number is one of the points I'll be raising.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:29. Reason: Factual error
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
In the past when I have queried the fact that the postman has put a failed delivery card through the door while I was in their software could pinpoint (using GPS) where he was when he logged the failure on his handheld device. Surprisingly (or not) it was about five doors further down the road. I believe that those on our round then got a reminder of correct practice. Perhaps your man will be told that ALL information must be filled in. More importantly though is they find the parcel where ever it is lurking.
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

County: Shropshire
Has it arrived, or has Dave gone in search of the parcel and not returned
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

County: Kent
When I see who’s going to deliver an order , Parcelforce is the least worrying one to read!
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Has it arrived, or has Dave gone in search of the parcel and not returned
Sorry for not doing an update on this.

The second, Oct 9th, redelivery failed. I phoned Manchester depot on the 10th & spoke to someone who was very apologetic & asked me to hold. After a minute or two she said that she'd escalated it to her manager who would investigate & ring me back.

However. . . at 6:30PM on the 9th it was finally delivered by the nice lady who works on the counter at the post office, on her way home from work! Working by the book, it should have been returned to the sender but they thought it worth attempting to deliver before doing so. So, our local post office still understands the concept of customer service.

On Oct 17th sister-in-law had an email from Parcelforce saying they had just delivered it!

Still awaiting the call from the manager. . .
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Garage
So they never had returned to the Post Office to collect it. Some one clearly hoped you would get fed up and go and check if it was still there and save them the bother.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I send out loads with Parcelforce, 99% trouble free but whenever there is a problem, its a bloody nightmare.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

« The M60 | Shell go+ »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page