shafted by a union im not even a member of, AGAIN - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 22-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

shafted by a union im not even a member of, AGAIN

arrrgggghh. im spitting feathers again, just been told my pay rise this year is 3%, not too shabby, until i found out everyone else is getting 4% all the other drivers apart from 3 class 1 drivers are getting 4% and us 3 are getting 3% we have been stitched up by the fcuking union rep again, this happened 2 years ago as well. only one of the 3 class 1 drivers is in the union and he was verbally asked to vote on the pay rise of 3%, all the other drivers were verbally asked to vote on 4% with no mention of us three only getting 3%.

what anoys me most is the union rep knew damn well the other drivers would not stand for us getting a lower pay rise and intentionally didnt tell them about us getting less, he has previously told me he doesnt like us getting higher pay than them(industry standard for class 1 drivers to be better paid than class 2or van drivers)

what i dont understand is, we get a separate pay deal ok fair enough but why do all the other driver get a vote on it? if we are to be considered separate then surely it should be only us voting on it?

its not the money(it works out to be a difference of £600 a year after tax) its the way its been done

oh and im also very ****ed of with my boss who agreed to it all. ******.

the 3 of us are tempted to take the union rep out of the way of prying eyes and have a little 'chat' but i guess that will just cause more problems.

even if the other 2 of us joined the union(id rather eat my of ****) our votes would be meaningless when compared to the other 20 drivers who voted for the pay rise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: shafted by a union im not even a member of, AGAIN

Can't you form your own Union or join a different one?

Sorry to hear about the loss of cash
VO2Max

Without wishing to get into a discussion about 'closed shop' (which I disagree with) there's a school of thought that says you may not get such a good payrise as 3% without the Union anyway.

Do you mind me asking why you're not in the Union - ideological reasons, your local Union are crap, etc?

In a way, the guy that's been really shafted is the one of you 3 that's in the Union and only got 3%, he pays his Union dues and got bugger all for it!

It sounds bizarre (because you're not in the Union) but have you considered complaining to the Head Office of the Union? In a way, your Union Rep is discriminating against you because of the job you have, because you're a Class 1 driver. That can't be right.

What sort of relationship do you have with your management? Could you take it up with them?

VO2Max

...one other thing, if all 3 of you Class 1 guys were in the Union, I don't think the Rep could treat you like this, one of the things a Union should be doing is maintaining pay differentials, in other words, not eroding your pay!

Rayq81

Take Employment advice on it (ACAS maybe ) im pretty sure your employer is breaking the law by discriminating against you for not being in a Union.

VO2Max

If I understand this correctly, it's the Union that's discriminating against him Ray, and against one of his colleagues who is actually in the Union!
Technically I don't think his employer is discriminating against him because he is in a different job to the guys who got 4%, he drives different vehicles?

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
If I understand this correctly, it's the Union that's discriminating against him Ray, and against one of his colleagues who is actually in the Union!
Technically I don't think his employer is discriminating against him because he is in a different job to the guys who got 4%, he drives different vehicles?
Ahh sorry i read that wrong, its more difficult then as the Union is only obliged to look after its members, It may be better for the drivers concerned to speak direct to the Company bosses and try to resolve it through their own negotiations ? Pretty sad situation really.

(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

really the only one of us who can complain is the union member, his interests arent being looked after by the union

to be honest im overpaid for the hours i do and the company realise this and ever since i went from class 2 work to class 1 they have been trying to reduce my pay

if they had been honest with us then i wouldnt care,(any pay rise i get pails into insignificance compared to my girlfriends 7 grand pay rise this year) but its the way its been done, telling all the other drivers only one side of what they are voting on, that just isnt right.

you bust a gut for your employer and they, along with the union who they have in their pockets, shaft you over and over again

i could quit but im well paid and the job is stress free so im happy enough where i am, its just the principle of the thing that bugs me. oh well i guess ill just have to bend over and take it, and i thought it was just the army who shafts you when it comes to pay rises

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page