Password requirements - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes
  • 2 Post By FredDibnah

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Password requirements

To the buffoons who make up password requirements for internet sites - I hate you. I hate you with a deep and abiding loathing which, were you able to sense it, would keep you awake at night. It would eat away at your very psyche, like a constant itching at the back of your brain. Which is, coincidentally, the sensation your work causes in me.

In no particular order*, these are some of the elements which you demand which contribute to your slightly increasing the misery of every person unlucky enough to chance upon your nonsensical creations.

(*That's a lie. This first one is particularly annoying me currently):

The requirement that your password cannot be one you have used previously. That is EVER previously, not just it can't be the last few. The point of a password is to be easy to remember but hard to guess. If you, over time, make it forbidden for me to use EVERY word or number which is memorable to me, then how is it supposed to be easily remembered? Shall I tell you how? Shall I tell you the immensely secure situation this creates? IT'S WRITTEN ON A POST-IT NOTE STUCK TO MY MONITOR YOU BLITHERING IMBECILES.

Have a set format that the password needs to be in. Don't tell me what this format is when you're trying to remember the password. In fact - even better - don't tell me what this format is when I'm choosing it in the first place until I enter one which isn't compatible.

Have more than one page for passwords / PINs. Have these arranged so that something like Google password manager sees them as the same field, so you can't save them both.

Don't allow spaces.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
the one that annoys me is no consecutive characters the same, I feel your annoyance
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
The ones to watch those which stipulate a fixed password range, donít accept certain characters as these are programmatic hints that the passwords arenít hashed/encrypted.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

It does occur that to maintain the rule that you can't ever re-use a password, they must be storing every password I've ever entered somewhere! I'm not very happy about them doing that!
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
It does occur that to maintain the rule that you can't ever re-use a password, they must be storing every password I've ever entered somewhere! I'm not very happy about them doing that!
To be fair - I expect they just use a trapdoor method to encrypt your chosen password and then check if it matches any previous encryption value. Since these can't be reversed back up to text then all they are storing are meaningless encryption patterns to match against.

ANYWAY - apart from that - I fully agree with your rant. I detest the whole password debacle and the sooner we can have reliable and robust biometric certainty then the better for me.

At work recently they increased our passwords on our laptops to 15 characters, with no consecutive letters........
MalcQV and Nickhoughton567 like this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
BT's wifi passwords drive me nuts. They are invariably a random sequence of upper and lower case letters, and numerals. They are impossible to remember and a PITA to enter on a phone. OK, they are printed on the router but if that's in an awkward place (which is invariably the case to get the best coverage while simultaneously being close to a mains socket and a phone socket) it's another PITA finding it. Maybe that's why they invented the WPS button but if the device you're trying to connect doesn't support WPS that's no help!
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I'd agree on that one. I think you can change them to a self chosen password, but I've never quite got around to it. Probably would still have halfarsed rules about what it needs to be though.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
[QUOTE=FredDibnah;17511705
At work recently they increased our passwords on our laptops to 15 characters, with no consecutive letters........[/QUOTE]

ThEQuICkbrOWnFo
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Last term at one of my places of work, the Ďsupplyí account got hacked, so they needed a new password. The new tech guy set it to: N3wPa55w0rd - ah well...

Fortunately with the new term itís back to something more sensible.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

There's one I have to use at work which stipulates that the password cannot contain any word that's in the dictionary. As it turns out, everything is in the dictionary. This means I have to use something that's nonsense that I have to write down.

There's another where you can't reuse and it changes fortnightly. I have to do a lot of resets for that one.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

I like it, when creating a new password, you're informed that the password already exists. How does my random series of letters and characters already exist? Bloody code cracker me!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page