Airline prices - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jparkin486
  • 1 Post By Toronto Spider

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Airline prices

I know I'm screaming into a void here, just based on geography, but airline pricing in Canada is absolutely ridiculous.

I was trying to book a roundtrip flight from Toronto to Montreal this weekend. Care to guess how much this was going to cost me? Go on, give it a try. I bet you won't even come close.

Just to put this in perspective, I just looked up a flight from London (Heathrow) to Manchester: CAD$150. From London to Glagow, I saw a cheap one for CAD$370 and typical ones for CAD$540.

Toronto to Montreal is roughly 540 km, so it's closer to the Glasgow-London distance but if we're talking largest population centres the London to Manchester comparison is apt.

Have you guessed yet? Give it another try.
It's CAD$800! No wonder nobody in this country travels within Canada's borders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
And the more times you check the price the more it will go up, as the website is geared to respond to the number of hits it is getting. So, it thinks the route you are looking at is popular and raises the price!

Found this out when booking flights to and from South Africa. Myself and a colleague would check for flights and costs and depending on who booked first they would get a cheaper flight than the second one to book. Also when planning trips we stopped looking just to see what the prices were as they went up and up each time! Even on the same day.
Toronto Spider likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

To drive 1,280km to Montreal and back cost me under $95 in gas. (My tank is still about one-third full.)

Yes, I know airlines have to pay wages and airport fees and plane maintenance costs, etc. but they also get to stuff dozens of people into their aircraft. And fly those planes along the routes multiple times per day. There is no way a Toronto-Montreal return flight should be so expensive.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider View Post
I know I'm screaming into a void here, just based on geography, but airline pricing in Canada is absolutely ridiculous.

I was trying to book a roundtrip flight from Toronto to Montreal this weekend. Care to guess how much this was going to cost me? Go on, give it a try. I bet you won't even come close.

Just to put this in perspective, I just looked up a flight from London (Heathrow) to Manchester: CAD$150. From London to Glagow, I saw a cheap one for CAD$370 and typical ones for CAD$540.

Toronto to Montreal is roughly 540 km, so it's closer to the Glasgow-London distance but if we're talking largest population centres the London to Manchester comparison is apt.

Have you guessed yet? Give it another try.
It's CAD$800! No wonder nobody in this country travels within Canada's borders.

The Uk ones you stated seem very expensive also, what sight are you using?

Im from the Uk but live in spain and quite often find return flights for less then £50 (81.20 CAD)

and having flown internally in the uk i have never paid more than £70 (113.68)

Seems very extorsionate but having not been to canada i cant comment on the pricing there.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I just ran the UK ones through kayak.com. The Canadian ones came from a number of travel sites as well as the airline's own website and 1-800 phone number.

I'm not surprised the prices I found were high for the U.K. I've spent years on this website reading about the cheap travel deals AOers get and the number of flights they've booked for absolute peanuts.
Judge420 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page