things not doing what they should - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

9Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 31-07-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
things not doing what they should

This could apply to anything really, but my example is the much lauded and fairly recently introduced easy switching process for mobile phones.

I had concluded a deal with the pestilential Virgin and was on the market to switch at exactly the time the new system comes in. I texted the number - and instantly get a PAC code. This is specifically so I can:

a) easily switch to a new provided by giving them the code;
b) retain my existing number; and
c) cease all dealings with Virgin, without having to speak to one of their zombie horde.

That, to me, sounded perfect.

I found a deal (with three) which suited. Went on their website. Provided the PAC, making it clear (by selecting the correct menu options/radio buttons) that I was wanting to keep my current number (which I provided).

2 days later a SIM arrives. Open it up - new mobile number.

So, presumably I have to take this up with Three and speak to someone, which I generally prefer to avoid. But can I be absolutely certain that my business with Virgin is concluded? It's not like I've received a message from Virgin saying - "sorry you are leaving us".

That could be because I haven't inserted and completed action on the new number. But I have a horrible feeling that I'll need to speak with Virgin.

Previous experience of Virgin, btw, is that they practice a policy of screwing every possible penny out of the customer. Over a million customers, if they wangle a couple of quid every other month or so, it is worth it. I've had to wrangle to get money back after overcharging, and the process is painful and, I'd argue, duplicitous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 34 Old 31-07-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
#2 - returned from holiday and found that the front guttering is bending due to heavy rains having washed moss from the roof tiles, and the gutter not having the sense to send it down the pipe.

Stupid gutter.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
#2 - returned from holiday and found that the front guttering is bending due to heavy rains having washed moss from the roof tiles, and the gutter not having the sense to send it down the pipe.

Stupid gutter.
Are you sure Elton John and Bernie Taupin weren't squatting your gaff while you were away
AO Member

County: Falkirk

Member car:

159SW;20VT Coupe

Quote:
This could apply to anything really, but my example is the much lauded and fairly recently introduced easy switching process for mobile phones.

I had concluded a deal with the pestilential Virgin and was on the market to switch at exactly the time the new system comes in. I texted the number - and instantly get a PAC code. This is specifically so I can:

a) easily switch to a new provided by giving them the code;
b) retain my existing number; and
c) cease all dealings with Virgin, without having to speak to one of their zombie horde.

That, to me, sounded perfect.

I found a deal (with three) which suited. Went on their website. Provided the PAC, making it clear (by selecting the correct menu options/radio buttons) that I was wanting to keep my current number (which I provided).

2 days later a SIM arrives. Open it up - new mobile number.

So, presumably I have to take this up with Three and speak to someone, which I generally prefer to avoid. But can I be absolutely certain that my business with Virgin is concluded? It's not like I've received a message from Virgin saying - "sorry you are leaving us".

That could be because I haven't inserted and completed action on the new number. But I have a horrible feeling that I'll need to speak with Virgin.

Previous experience of Virgin, btw, is that they practice a policy of screwing every possible penny out of the customer. Over a million customers, if they wangle a couple of quid every other month or so, it is worth it. I've had to wrangle to get money back after overcharging, and the process is painful and, I'd argue, duplicitous.
My recollection is you have to insert the new SIM into your phone and then ask 3 to transfer your old number using the PAC code. Your old number will then transfer although it might take a few hours and your old Virgin service should cease.
From the 3 website
"Once you've got your PAC, all you need to do is fill out our Bring my number to Three Form, give us a call on 333 from your existing Three number, or log into My3, and let us know all the useful information. This includes your existing Three number on your Three SIM, the number you're referring to with your previous provider and your PAC. Then, we'll take care of everything"
It is Virgin though.................. :-(
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

He's right. The sequence is to get the new mobile, with the new SIM (which has a new number), then you enter the PAC code and they will transfer your old number - usually next day.

And it's when the number gets transferred that you can be (reasonably) sure that your contract with the old supplier is ended.
(Post Link) post #6 of 34 Old 31-07-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
i hate everything
Ralf S., Sterzo and Harvo like this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 34 Old 31-07-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I've spoken to someone at three who seemed not to call me an idiot - and they said they were going to do something about it. I'm not sure what, if I'm being honest. But it will take 24 hrs. I set out the situation in writing though - so hopefully that was clear.

I've inserted the SIM and when the phone boots up it is giving me a password screen. WTF?

My phone had a swipe password code thing - not numbers.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Hmm. I wouldn't have expected passwords to copy across, so I assume that's just a part of the new phone. But I wouldn't expect it to start with one, since that means you're locked out already. There definitely isn't a default passcode mentioned in the box, is there?

BTW, hope I didn't come across as a knowitall earlier. The only reason I could help was because me and Mrs Bazza changed our phones very recently. Before that, I was just as clueless as you.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Some SIM cards come from the factory with a PIN code. This is different from your phone lock. If there is a PIN code set then it will be mentioned somewhere in the accompanying blurb you received with the SIM.
Ralf S. likes this.
AO Member

County: Falkirk

Member car:

159SW;20VT Coupe

Quote:
I've spoken to someone at three who seemed not to call me an idiot - and they said they were going to do something about it. I'm not sure what, if I'm being honest. But it will take 24 hrs. I set out the situation in writing though - so hopefully that was clear.

I've inserted the SIM and when the phone boots up it is giving me a password screen. WTF?

My phone had a swipe password code thing - not numbers.
Is your phone itself locked to the Virgin network (not the passcode just to actually unlock the buttons etc)? If so you'll need a passcode to unlock it.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I'm settling in with a large tub of popcorn....this should be fun....poor Steve.

And wait until they start transferring things across and you get 2 mobile numbers, texting on one phone,calls on the other.....and data somewhere in the ether.
TonyGr likes this.

Last edited by ronan; 31-07-19 at 16:36.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Just reading your woes is making me ill. It's the reason I've stayed with Vodafone for 25 years...
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
i hate everything
That is the answer to all.

I have in the past gone into the shop for such phone swaps. The onus is on the staff to sort everything.
Verbout likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 34 Old 31-07-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I'm waiting for 24hrs and then trying again with the new SIM

I might have made things more dififcult for myself (but I dunno about that - I did follow some instructions on the 3 site).

But - it isn't like clockwork is it......? My expectations went as follows:

text for PAC code - got one - yay

went on 3 site, followed steps for a new SIM (this is SIM only, no new phone), but took all the options to request holding onto my old number

so far so good

even better, when I selected 'keep old number' it presented a box for me to put the PAC code......again....yay.

All the above suggested to me that my heightened expectations were realistic.
Harvo likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
I'm waiting for 24hrs and then trying again with the new SIM

I might have made things more dififcult for myself (but I dunno about that - I did follow some instructions on the 3 site).

But - it isn't like clockwork is it......? My expectations went as follows:

text for PAC code - got one - yay

went on 3 site, followed steps for a new SIM (this is SIM only, no new phone), but took all the options to request holding onto my old number

so far so good

even better, when I selected 'keep old number' it presented a box for me to put the PAC code......again....yay.

All the above suggested to me that my heightened expectations were realistic.
It's nearly 24 hours.... what's happening?

My popcorn is running out!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I changed from an O2 contract that was getting expensive to Vodaphone, they made a right pigs ear of it and I didnít get the contract I asked for. I cancelled the contract well within the 14 day cooling off period and went with Carphone Warehouses iD, piggybacked onto EE I believe, faultless.

Vodaphone have sent me two bills, are threatening me with a debt collector and moved my old number across to their network after the cancellation. Letís see how that works out for them.

O2 couldnít/wouldnít unlock my phone, I had to use an old phone for a week or more before they pulled their finger out. £30 compensation for that debacle.

Well impressed by Carphone W staff when I popped into their shop, no bull**** .

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

The central tenet of this thread is spot on though. Nothing ever seems to just work. Every little thing you get / buy / do seems to have some irritating complication to ruin things.
Hobson284 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
... why I recommended you all read this. At least we’re not alone!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Me-Eve.../dp/0316729531

(It’s a very funny rant about everything today)
(Post Link) post #19 of 34 Old 01-08-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post

eff all - I imagined such a scenario :bangheed: :bangheed: :bangheed:
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I had as much trouble with 3 as I did with Vodaphone when I transferred Mrs. V’s phone last year.

Last edited by Verbout; 01-08-19 at 18:35.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post

eff all - I imagined such a scenario:bangheed::bangheed::bangheed:

Should I get the 2 tins and a piece of string ready?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Vodaphone.
I'm surprised that word gets through the swear filter. When I ranted at them and closed my account, they promised to refund me £50 as a good will gesture. When I rang three weeks later to ask where the £50 was, they said they couldn't pay it into my account as I'd closed it.
(Post Link) post #23 of 34 Old 02-08-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I'm going to have to SPEAK TO SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
I'm going to have to SPEAK TO SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS
....use the landline.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
I recommend giffgaff.
Very cheap, completely flexible plan you can change up or down at will each month.... and it just works.

(no, I don't work for them or have shares).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page