Hermes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

9Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 31-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Angry Hermes

Yes, it's my own fault for using a two bit carrier but...

I sent stuff to another forum member and made the mistake of guessing the weight. It turns out the package was 1.2kg and not the 'up to 1kg' I had thought.

Long story short; I had to pay another £4.20 on top of the £4.58 original fee- £3 of which is an 'administration fee'. All legal and within their terms and conditions which I had agreed to.

What annoyed me was the rubbish about their 'fuel usage and carbon emissions. That only has validity if EVERY other parcel is on its weight limit.

Interestingly, this was the first time I had ever used Hermes. It is also the last time I use them. It turns out that using Royal Mail is cheaper and faster. The next time I sent a parcel, that is what I used.

The final insult was the feedback they so desperately wanted (judging by the emails they sent) wasn't accepted due to "time". It seems to be a way to ensure feedback is good. Get good feedback before issues with service come to light. Nonetheless it is a very poor long term business plan because they are deliberately unaware of how they dissatisfy the paying customer.

Last edited by Fruity; 31-05-19 at 17:35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Ah, Hermes. I was waiting for them once, and they put a card through the door to tell me I was out.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Using Hermes?
That’s a little rash.
Or is that something else...
mj2k and Fruity like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I stopped using them a while ago.

I sent a pair of motorbike shocks which I had sold on ebay, and they sent me a message saying the parcel was oversized and unless I pay them £12 or so they would destroy the package.

There is no way they were oversized. After that I stopped using them, it was their loss in the end as I was sending stuff very regularly.

Collect plus are my preffered budget courier. No issues so far...
(Post Link) post #5 of 26 Old 02-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Good tip. In fairness, I've had good service from most of them. That includes DHL, DPD, Interlink, Fed-Ex, dear old Royal Mail and even the often slated Yodel.

What makes my complaint unique is it is not careless handling or whatever by a low level employee; it is company policy as decided by upper mis-management.
I cannot in good conscience fund such unethical behaviour and lies which furthers the corporate ends of fat cats.
AO Platinum Member

Yodel are terrible.

I have never used them to send but have had a few things arrive by them. (Or not arrive would be more accurate).

Now I will not buy an item if the seller mentions that Yodel is the courier.
AO Member

Id been using them for at least 3 years without a problem so i dont know whats happened but they've gone rubblish, i think they've got to big and cant cope.
At christmas ive had a small box cut open and the contents stolen , Shame it was only a 147 reversing ecu.
I sent a steering rack with Parcelmonkey via Hermes with guaranteed delivery which they missed by a week and the chap had to rebook the garage and gave me a load of grief.
I sent a 156 stalk to a lad whose helped me out via messenger concerning cars ect ect as a gift a good will gesture, i posted it and tracking stated 3 days later it was delivered and signed for by the neighbour.... 10 weeks later it delivered back to me with 1 of their return lables stuck over the original , so i contact the lad and asked didnt it work or something and he said he never actually received it . I emailed them and they offered £10 credit for any further parcels which i rejected and asked for my account to be closed. Never again.
Fruity likes this.
AO Member

Had something delivered by them recently to work.
Dispatched 6am central London. "Failed delivery" to my place in central London 8:30pm. 14 hours?
"Failed delivery" 9:30am the next day. We have 24/7 handlers here.
Delivered that afternoon with the box crushed and torn open at the corner.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

The worst one to use for car parts is Parcelfarce - the postal insurance for their ridiculously over-priced service isn't valid for motor parts, as I discovered when they managed to completely crush a box containing a rare Subaru tail light. I had to pay the buyer back out of my own pocket, lost the postage and didn't even get an apology, just that 'It's all there in the terms and conditions'. And sure enough, in a tiny link on the page where you say you're not sending live animals, bombs or anything like that there's another page of exceptions to their postage cover, including all automotive parts

And they're not much better at delivery - I've now lodged about 5 complaints with them about dropping parcels off with neighbors and not bothering to put a card through the door to say where it is. Give me MyHermes any day, at least you're paying peanuts to get monkeys... Though I agree with the comment above - I've found Collect+ to be v good for normal sized packages.

Edit: Just found a proper link to their hidden exclusions page:
https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...e-compensation
Fruity likes this.

Last edited by mj2k; 07-06-19 at 00:08.
(Post Link) post #10 of 26 Old 08-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Kind of looks like some of these parcel carriers don't actually want to be moving any parcels.
symon likes this.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post

It turns out the package was 1.2kg and not the 'up to 1kg' I had thought.
Sorry to be a pedant and seemingly unsympathetic but the consequences of the overweight were actually entirely down to you for not weighing it yourself first?
AO Member

I've often paid more for parts to get them sent by a proper courier, even as far as going to collect things just to avoid dealing with Hermes. Got a laptop for 3 quid on ebay with 8 quid shipping, turned up via Hermes in bubblewrap and paper with the corner ground away. More recently I bought an airbag sensor for my 156 (the 60669250) and it arrived via Hermes, badly wrapped, with the wrong unit inside. Label cleanly removed and the part number for the correct one written on with a marker. Not the fault of Hermes but there seems to be a bit of a link between people using Hermes and not being too arsed about packaging or even sending the right damn parts out.
AO Member

County: -Armagh

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Second worst couriers ever. The absolute worst are DX, which our government in their infinite wisdom use for passport deliveries. Have a gander at their Trustpilot page:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/dx.com
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebreaux View Post
Second worst couriers ever. The absolute worst are DX, which our government in their infinite wisdom use for passport deliveries. Have a gander at their Trustpilot page:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/dx.com
I have found that Yodel are by far the worst. Never had the mispleasure to deal with DX yet though...
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I spent some time whilst studying as a multi-drop driver for DHL - most of the routes had an average of about 50 drops per day, often you'd be taking more, sometimes a lot, almost never less.

With the likes of Yodel and DX undercutting some of the more established couriers, sees their drivers forced to deliver way more, so service suffers.

Having had more than my fair share of issues with Yodel in the past, I've tended to give them a wide berth, but both DX and Yodel (when I've had no choice) have pleasantly surprised me the last few times.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes

Last edited by amfalconer; 10-06-19 at 11:38.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Guilietta

Wish I was more mechanical to look after my baby but thankfully do know a bit about postage. Swings and roundabouts and lots of competition. Some carriers pay peanuts to get Monkeys some with a decent Driver on the round whatever company can give decent service. Some delivery routes are spread out and the pay is so poor they often dump and run. Certainly for deliveries inwards find a company that you get on well with the driver and if shipping out get a tracking number the receiver can use and let them sort it out at their end.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukew View Post
I've often paid more for parts to get them sent by a proper courier, even as far as going to collect things just to avoid dealing with Hermes. Got a laptop for 3 quid on ebay with 8 quid shipping, turned up via Hermes in bubblewrap and paper with the corner ground away. More recently I bought an airbag sensor for my 156 (the 60669250) and it arrived via Hermes, badly wrapped, with the wrong unit inside. Label cleanly removed and the part number for the correct one written on with a marker. Not the fault of Hermes but there seems to be a bit of a link between people using Hermes and not being too arsed about packaging or even sending the right damn parts out.
Heh, you're right there, I bought some rare car paint 2nd hand from someone on Ebay, 3/4 tub left but OEM. He sent it by MyHermes, in a bubble wrapped envelope!

Poor MyHermes driver turned up with it to our door, covered in paint! She was not happy at all...

And to add insult to injury the seller wouldn't refund. claiming I was lying about the paint leaking. So, I obeyed the Ebay refund policy to the letter and sent it back to him in exactly the same state it arrived in (after rescuing the 1/8 pot which was still usable), and of course gave him the worst possible feedback I possibly could
symon and Fruity like this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 26 Old 13-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
With the likes of Yodel and DX undercutting some of the more established couriers, sees their drivers forced to deliver way more, so service suffers.
Although Yodel's website doesn't say so, Yodel actually operated under Securicor previously and started as White Arrow which delivered for various home shopping catalogues at least as far back as 1985.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
Although Yodel's website doesn't say so, Yodel actually operated under Securicor previously and started as White Arrow which delivered for various home shopping catalogues at least as far back as 1985.
Now that I never knew - I was told their international bits used to be the old DHL Home brand.

Sadly Yodel seems to be another one of those 'toxic workplaces' like Sports Direct where workers are criminally overworked and underpaid, amongst other things.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Ah, poop. Ebay are removing Collect+ from their delivery options as of 25th July. They must have been too good or something
AO Platinum Member

Collect+ disappeared from the options for Wiggle a few weeks back. I had issues with them just before that and I heard the shops just need one or two less than brilliant review and they’re out. It want necessarily their fault in my case.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
Ah, poop. Ebay are removing Collect+ from their delivery options as of 25th July. They must have been too good or something
So are they removing seller protection if you use collect + ?

I book independently of ebay then upload the tracking info after.

Another reason (apart from the extortionate fees) to avoid ebay.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I've been speaking to a friend online today - he had a guy drop a card through the letterbox without even knocking, while we were speaking!!
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 02-07-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Definitely worth a complaint.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Dear Hermes, my company wishes to award a multimillion contract for delivery of goods. Unfortunately you were out when we called.
symon likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page