Arrogant Parking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

 23Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralf S.
  • 2 Post By Otto52
  • 1 Post By TI-ger boz
  • 1 Post By TI-ger boz
  • 7 Post By silverevo
  • 1 Post By Toronto Spider
  • 3 Post By soolka
  • 1 Post By rgwm
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 2 Post By Ralf S.
  • 2 Post By Hobson284
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: Waiting for spring
AO Member
 
Navlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Notts-
Posts: 138
Garage
Arrogant Parking

Whilst enjoying a meal at my local restaurant I was struck by the arrogant selfish attitude of some drivers. Across the road is a small Sainsbury's local with parking for disabled and mother's with children. Over a period of a couple of hours I saw numerous cars parking there non were disabled or had children. There were plenty of spaces available further away but no they couldn't be bothered and / or had no respect for others less fortunate. Without exception the cars that parked there were Audi BMW Range Rover with a large percentage of drivers wearing baseball caps say no more. Are baseball caps now a standard feature on those cars ?
Navlet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: Multiair replaced. Back to procrastinating
AO Silver Member
 
TonyGr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Scunthorpe
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,309
Garage
It happens all the time at our Sainsburys. Drivers wanting to use the ATMs which are directly at the end of the row of Parent and Child spaces just nip into the closest or even park on the no parking across the store entrance. It seems that a certain type of driver is unable to go more than a few metres from their car without feeling lost or inadequate. Is there some sort of invisible umbilical connection which feeds them the energy needed to access their wealth?
TonyGr is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,682

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

You know why ?....nobody cares anymore.....despicable !!!
ronan is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,193

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

This is a different situation, but arrogant parking is a pretty apt description.

I had to do some work at a client's office. To beat the traffic, I showed up early--well before the start of traditional office hours. That meant the visitor's parking lot was empty when I pulled in. I backed into a spot three slots down from a driveway. There is a parking station where you have to feed your credit card and receive your parking stub to display in your windshield that was located on wall on the other side of the driveway.

I was at the machine when I noticed another car pulling into the visitor's lot at a rate of speed I wouldn't have engaged in given the circumstances (tight 90-degree corners into a parking lot with the drive flanked by concrete barriers and walls). The arrogant driver (to use the terminology of this thread), stopped his car, threw it into reverse and zoomed into the number two slot directly beside me. I thought he was going to take out the passenger side of my car based on the speed and the angle he used to back into the space. It was just frantic.

Then as he was exiting his car he just ramrodded against my passenger side mirror, whipping it back with a terrible noise. At that point I pointedly and firmly expressed my displeasure at the lack of care he was showing my vehicle. His reply was that the mirror was on a spring, and it was meant to move.

I told him that if he couldn't be careful of other people's property he should have parked directly beside me, given that there was a huge empty parking lot available. Apparently he took offense to that saying I didn't have the right to tell him where to park. He got upset, called me a few names and huffed off.

I really didn't want to leave my car, but I was damned if I was going to move it to let him "win" (which I'll admit is a stupid attitude). I was worried about the car all day. Thankfully, when I finally left the client's (long after traditional business hours were over, because it was that kind of a job) everything was okay. I was really expecting to find it keyed or something.

I swear I don't know what's wrong with people.
Toronto Spider is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 25 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 12,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider View Post
His reply was that the mirror was on a spring, and it was meant to move.
His head is attached to his neck, so it will rebound after you socked him right in the chops. His point is what...?


Ralf S.
Toronto Spider and Sterzo like this.
Ralf S. is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 25 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 280
When my father was in his late 80s my sister (60s) would take him to the supermarket and park in the "parent and child" spaces because technically they were a parent and child. Father wasn't terribly mobile so the extra space helped!
Ralf S. and Dave Brand like this.
Otto52 is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 25 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: Back to chilling out
AO Member
 
TI-ger boz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 290

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto52 View Post
When my father was in his late 80s my sister (60s) would take him to the supermarket and park in the "parent and child" spaces because technically they were a parent and child. Father wasn't terribly mobile so the extra space helped!
My brother and I would often take mum to the supermarket as she wasn't very mobile and if all the disabled spaces were full we would use the parent and child spaces, same logic. A "job's worth" from Sainsbury's gave my brother grief about it one day He mentioned that the option was to go to another supermarket where there were more disabled spaces. (We did have a blue badge for her). Eventually he gave in and them park.

I think that often spaces shouldn't be specific for disabled or parent and child but labelled "Special needs" to make the most of available spaces. It still won't stop people who don't need to from using them though.
Ralf S. likes this.
TI-ger boz is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: Back to chilling out
AO Member
 
TI-ger boz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 290

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

Some years ago I was involved in a scout parade event where the local mayor was giving a speech etc. We cordoned off a corner of a car park for the parade and mayor to gather. The rest of the car park was almost empty being a Sunday. One person gave us loads of abuse because he couldn't park where he wanted and had to walk about 20 yards further than usual. He wasn't disabled, he was carrying a squash racket and heading for the sports hall. He got even more abusive when I suggested the extra exercise would help keep him fit.
Ralf S. likes this.
TI-ger boz is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 25 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: Enjoying the mid-life Crisis
AO Member
 
Angoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 458

Member car:

Brera S

I've often felt that "ignorance" should be a qualification for a blue badge
Angoose is offline  
Status: Christmas came early, now waiting for summer
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
silverevo's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1857
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 557

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Personally I think parent and child parking spaces are fricking liberty. I would like to point out I dont park in them because thats the rules and generally I'll play by the rules but why the hell should mums (or dads for that matter) get any special favours because they chose to bring another brat into this already over populated world. They made that choice and should have known that the weekly shopping is going to take a bit longer now they've got to tow a screaming bag of snot around with them as well. Did having a baby suddenly mean your legs have stopped working and you cant walk as far as you used to? No is the answer but it certainly seems to inflate your sense of entitlement.

I can see only one good thing about parent parking spaces, they help to keep a group of selfish and lazy people confined to a certain area helping to prevent them from putting a nice crease in the doors of innocent victims as they open their doors wide enough to let out the fat ugly little skanks so they can run riot.
silverevo is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
County: -
Posts: 26
Jeez, Silverevo- you're even grumpier than me!
Way to go.
Skellum is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,193

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
His head is attached to his neck, so it will rebound after you socked him right in the chops. His point is what...?


Ralf S.
You can't believe just how badly I wanted to do exactly that. Actually, the way the confrontation was going, I was practically waiting for him to take the first swing.

Sometimes life would be so much easier if we didn't have to leave off the physical option of response.
Toronto Spider is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider View Post
This is a different situation, but arrogant parking is a pretty apt description.

I had to do some work at a client's office. To beat the traffic, I showed up early--well before the start of traditional office hours. That meant the visitor's parking lot was empty when I pulled in. I backed into a spot three slots down from a driveway. There is a parking station where you have to feed your credit card and receive your parking stub to display in your windshield that was located on wall on the other side of the driveway.

I was at the machine when I noticed another car pulling into the visitor's lot at a rate of speed I wouldn't have engaged in given the circumstances (tight 90-degree corners into a parking lot with the drive flanked by concrete barriers and walls). The arrogant driver (to use the terminology of this thread), stopped his car, threw it into reverse and zoomed into the number two slot directly beside me. I thought he was going to take out the passenger side of my car based on the speed and the angle he used to back into the space. It was just frantic.

Then as he was exiting his car he just ramrodded against my passenger side mirror, whipping it back with a terrible noise. At that point I pointedly and firmly expressed my displeasure at the lack of care he was showing my vehicle. His reply was that the mirror was on a spring, and it was meant to move.

I told him that if he couldn't be careful of other people's property he should have parked directly beside me, given that there was a huge empty parking lot available. Apparently he took offense to that saying I didn't have the right to tell him where to park. He got upset, called me a few names and huffed off.

I really didn't want to leave my car, but I was damned if I was going to move it to let him "win" (which I'll admit is a stupid attitude). I was worried about the car all day. Thankfully, when I finally left the client's (long after traditional business hours were over, because it was that kind of a job) everything was okay. I was really expecting to find it keyed or something.

I swear I don't know what's wrong with people.
You are a much better person than me TS.

He would have returned to his car and found that the tyre furthest away from my car was for some inexplicable reason flat.
PaulR is offline  
Status: Christmas came early, now waiting for summer
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
silverevo's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1857
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 557

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellum View Post
Jeez, Silverevo- you're even grumpier than me!
Way to go.
Why thank you Skellum. I'm at my happiest when I'm angry
silverevo is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 25 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: Waiting for spring
AO Member
 
Navlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Notts-
Posts: 138
Garage
Silverevo I want you as my life coach
Navlet is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,193

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
You are a much better person than me TS.

He would have returned to his car and found that the tyre furthest away from my car was for some inexplicable reason flat.
Nah, I'm just a big chicken.

I figured if I did something to his car mine would have ended up damaged, and while I'm willing to risk staring somebody down who looks like he's going to take a swing at me, I absolutely have no risk-taking ability when it comes to somebody damaging my car. I mean the car can't defend itself. I can always duck or take a shot back or call 9-1-1. Besides, so far nobody has ever gone through with attempting to punch me out. I'm pretty sure a few have come close, but they never go for it, so I figure I'm relatively safe.
chrishendrix likes this.
Toronto Spider is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 22,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider View Post
Nah, I'm just a big chicken.

I figured if I did something to his car mine would have ended up damaged, and while I'm willing to risk staring somebody down who looks like he's going to take a swing at me, I absolutely have no risk-taking ability when it comes to somebody damaging my car. I mean the car can't defend itself. I can always duck or take a shot back or call 9-1-1. Besides, so far nobody has ever gone through with attempting to punch me out. I'm pretty sure a few have come close, but they never go for it, so I figure I'm relatively safe.
In reality I am probably that chicken too!
PaulR is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sydney
County: Australia
Posts: 12
Baseball caps as optional extras along with blinker delete on their new car order. It must be, because over here they are never used.
How long have you had parent parking spaces in the UK? We’ve got ‘car with pram’ spaces but haven’t yet regressed to ‘parent with children’ spaces.
How about introducing ‘no children in car’ only parking spaces? It might help reduce the number dents in my doors from idiot kids who haven’t been taught how to carefully open a car door by their idiot parents.
147Alfaguy is offline  
Status: Dreaming
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orpington, Kent
Posts: 1,799

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverevo View Post
Why thank you Skellum. I'm at my happiest when I'm angry
Highly commendable rantage.
Sterzo is offline  
Status: Always saving up......
AO Member
 
soolka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Wet Bit
County: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 441
Garage
Siverevo....re post #10.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I could not have put it more eloquently or succinctly. Why the hell do these women think just because they’ve squeezed yet another mewling maggot into the world, this somehow raises them above the rest of us in the carpark?

In light of the recent climate change/extinction rebellion hooha, I was astonished how everybody managed to avoid the mere mention of the biggest bloody elephant in the room........over-breeding! It this planet wasn’t stuffed to the gunwales with humans, it might have a fighting chance.

Back on the carparking rant.....I’ve always felt all spaces should be the same size as mother/child ones - this would save many body panels from being damaged when some over-weight lump flings their door open to heave themselves out of their SUV. Cars are getting ever larger, while parking spaces remain Mini-sized.
soolka is offline  
Status: age is only a number ;-)
AO Gold Member
 
rgwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Burnley-ish
County: Lancashire
Posts: 9,483
Slightly against the general tone of the thread, I had a mate who qualified for a blue badge for disability (he'd had his leg amputaed just below the knee in an attempt (ultimately unsuccessful) to save him from cancer). He pulled into a "blue badge" space and got a lot of abuse from a citizen who claimed that since he had two kayaks on the roof rack of his car he couldn't be disabled.............

My mate, who taught fellow disabled people how to participate in life enhancing activities, looked at the citizen, reached into the footwell of the car, and threw his spare artificial leg out of the window.........aforementioned citizen surprisingly melted away..........

Don't be too hasty to judge others - disabilty isn't always evident!
Dave Brand likes this.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
rgwm is offline  
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 13,661

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

On the subject of parent and child spaces, the big benefit was the spaces being wider so you can get baby seats out of the car easier. However, you get the same effect by parking further away from the entrance away from everyone else.
Dave Brand likes this.
keithyboy is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 12,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverevo View Post
Personally I think parent and child parking spaces are fricking liberty. I would like to point out I dont park in them because thats the rules and generally I'll play by the rules but why the hell should mums (or dads for that matter) get any special favours because they chose to bring another brat into this already over populated world. They made that choice and should have known that the weekly shopping is going to take a bit longer now they've got to tow a screaming bag of snot around with them as well. Did having a baby suddenly mean your legs have stopped working and you cant walk as far as you used to? No is the answer but it certainly seems to inflate your sense of entitlement.

I can see only one good thing about parent parking spaces, they help to keep a group of selfish and lazy people confined to a certain area helping to prevent them from putting a nice crease in the doors of innocent victims as they open their doors wide enough to let out the fat ugly little skanks so they can run riot.
That's the "lazy" view of parent and child spaces.

They're not there so mummy and daddy don't have so far to walk with their "brat". They're located nearer the store's front doors, so that you don't have small children wandering across the car park, through the parked cars on foot.

The first time you ever turn into an empty parking bay, around an adjacent car (usually an SUV), and you are confronted by a toddler standing in the middle of it, then you will understand.

The wider bays are defo' handy for not clouting anyone else's paintwork though. Junior S. aka Queen of the Sith has quite a bulky child seat and it's impossible to get her in there, stuffing her head under the roofline, into the seat and all the belts mounted without fully opening the rear doors. Regular spaces (and I have to say quite often "regular parking") doesn't make it possible. Several times I've had to reverse out of a regular space a few feet to be able to open the doors. The missus won't let me just toss the girl into the boot with the groceries.


Ralf S.
TonyGr and Paddy OPlastic like this.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Ralf S. is offline  
Status: Christmas came early, now waiting for summer
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
silverevo's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1857
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 557

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
That's the "lazy" view of parent and child spaces.

They're not there so mummy and daddy don't have so far to walk with their "brat". They're located nearer the store's front doors, so that you don't have small children wandering across the car park, through the parked cars on foot.

The first time you ever turn into an empty parking bay, around an adjacent car (usually an SUV), and you are confronted by a toddler standing in the middle of it, then you will understand.

The wider bays are defo' handy for not clouting anyone else's paintwork though. Junior S. aka Queen of the Sith has quite a bulky child seat and it's impossible to get her in there, stuffing her head under the roofline, into the seat and all the belts mounted without fully opening the rear doors. Regular spaces (and I have to say quite often "regular parking") doesn't make it possible. Several times I've had to reverse out of a regular space a few feet to be able to open the doors. The missus won't let me just toss the girl into the boot with the groceries.


Ralf S.
Ah Ok I get the logic there, but then again if your parenting skills are so bad that you let your kid run off through a car park then I guess the darwinian theory has a chance to kick into play. I dont see whats wrong with leaving the kid in the car, crack the window open a bit and park in the shade, what could go wrong? That way they dont bother me in the supermarket either.

On the blue badge front, my neighbour just got one and a box painted outside her house essentially because she is fat and cant walk more than 20 yards without getting out of breath. She can now take up a space at the supermarket that could otherwise be used by a genuinely disabled person. There is hope though, I spoke with her dad the other day and he said she is going into hospital to have her 'fat gland' removed. Apparently its the thing that stops you saying no to another pie. The wonders of modern health care.
silverevo is offline  
Status: Bring on the sun...
AO Silver Member
 
Hobson284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Worcestershire
Posts: 1,505
@ silverevo It's nice to come across somebody with the same viewpoint as me regarding the entitlement shown by a large swathes of parents, and I agree that whilst I understand the theory of putting the spaces closer so safer for kids, the parents should be doing their duty, through choice, as a parents and looking after them and making sure they don't run amok in the first place. Also @soolka , completely agree with the over-population comments too. The looks and comments you get when people ask us 'well aren't you having kids?' and you explain such reasons as 'the world has too many humans as it is' are quite something. Anyway, probably should let this thread get back on track...
Dave Brand and TI-ger boz like this.
Hobson284 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selfish parking EddieGTA Rant Room 10 14-06-13 09:09

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome