ANPRS And Debt Collectors. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 17-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

ANPRS And Debt Collectors.

Couldn't sleep too well last night and watched an edition of " Nigh****ch " which shows the police going about their ( nefarious ? ) business.

In West Yorkshire a car was pulled into a Service Station off the Motorway as the ANPRS in the police car had flagged it. Turned out that the guy had debts that had been sent to a Debt Collection Agency and then THEY HAD IT PUT ON THE ANPRS DATABASE ! The Bailiffs were called by the police and the guy was held until they arrived and then driven to a bank to get money to pay the Bailiffs. If he didn't have the funds his car would have been impounded.

All very well you may say, the guy owed money but :-

Using the police as an arm to your business to collect debts ?

What if the Collection Agency had got the wrong registration number put on the database and a totally innocent person gets pulled, you ? The police will believe the Bailiffs rather than you, can guarantee that.

As shown on various TV programs some of these Debt Collection Agencies appear very dodgy and they seem to accept instructions from anyone with very little proof that the purported debt is indeed a valid one. Let me see, I'll think of someone I don't like, forge a little IOU and pass it on to a Debt Collector to get his car on the ANPRS. Oh. how I will laugh at the hassle I have caused for expending just a few quid on the Agency fees.

No wonder I don't sleep very well any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: ANPRS And Debt Collectors.

You would need a court order in place befor the old bill would put such a thing on ANPR. Obviously those details would have been presented to the Court. Not sure what the debt was related to but it may have been specifically linked to the car. A DEbt collection agency can do nothing without a Court Order. If they get it wrong and the wrong person gets tugged, Kerrching ! Any debts that person had would receive a serious injection of cash. Unlawful detention, assault, libel, the list goes on....
Nev

Just reinforces my opinion
the police the world over are
more intersted in property "protection"
of the well-off and big business
than anything else.

(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 17-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

The fine was for 13 unpaid Parking Tickets over a year, total outstanding was over 4K.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Well I think that speaks for itself,
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

I think there is a difference between debt collection agencies and court bailiffs. I have had to use both the recover monies owing to my business but I think the bailiffs are employed by the court for a fixed fee when a judgement has been made.

Either way there is something very sinister about the way more information and database access seems to be leading to state control.

Seen the BBC licence fee ''we know where you are'' advert? Seen the ''we'll crush your car if its not taxed'' advert? Want to bet what the information on ID cards will be used for?

Frankly, I will happily trade an occasional unrecovered debt for a police state anyday.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 17-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post

Seen the BBC licence fee ''we know where you are'' advert? Seen the ''we'll crush your car if its not taxed'' advert? Want to bet what the information on ID cards will be used for?

Frankly, I will happily trade an occasional unrecovered debt for a police state anyday.
I do agree, it's all very sinister. How long before the Traffic Master System is used for other than it's intended purpose. If this was done the whole country would be one massive " SPECS " area, where's me push bike, soon it may be the only way to travel without being " legally " mugged.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
where's me push bike, soon it may be the only way to travel without being " legally " mugged.
With the increase in numbers of the new generation CCTV cameras that can recognise an individuals face, even when in attempted disguise such as hats, dark glasses, scarf pulled around jaw etc There will soon literally be no escaping.

Nice world, eh?

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

'' I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered''
AO Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
With the increase in numbers of the new generation CCTV cameras that can recognise an individuals face, even when in attempted disguise such as hats, dark glasses, scarf pulled around jaw etc There will soon literally be no escaping.

Nice world, eh?
I worked on some behavioural algorithms a couple of years ago which could determine if you were acting 'outside of expected norms'. Link these up to cameras to scan an area and you can identify suspicious behaviour that is not apparent to a normal cctv operator.

God knows how far they have come on since I was working on them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page