Buying windows. Argh. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By amfalconer

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Buying windows. Argh.

We are looking at reinstating the Crittal type windows for our house.
I have sent off for quotes and I knew they were expensive but £12,000 for two windows?!
A follow up email suggests if we want to go ahead just reply and it’s 15 weeks lead time. I wrote back to say we knew it’s expensive to get them done but this was even more than we thought. “What’s your budget?” was the reply.
Well, that wasn’t the price then? What IS the price!
Some people probably enjoy this game. I don’t.
Say “we expected £8k” and wait for the next email?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
We are looking at reinstating the Crittal type windows for our house.
I have sent off for quotes and I knew they were expensive but £12,000 for two windows?!
A follow up email suggests if we want to go ahead just reply and it’s 15 weeks lead time. I wrote back to say we knew it’s expensive to get them done but this was even more than we thought. “What’s your budget?” was the reply.
Well, that wasn’t the price then? What IS the price!
Some people probably enjoy this game. I don’t.
Say “we expected £8k” and wait for the next email?
Absolutely....if they want your business.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Unless you want actual Crittall, there are much cheaper alternatives out there.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 28-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Well yes, but do they expect typical window price haggling despite being the genuine article?
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

In my experience, there's always wriggle room, we specify a lot of windows, admittedly not normally Crittall style - and the price differences between quotes can be staggering - if you can get another supplier it's worth playing them off against each other.

Crittall windows are lovely, and enjoying a resurgence and Crittall know it all too well - I'd love to re-instate those on my own family home (pic attached) but being the original supplier means they can charge like a wounded bull.

Also, if you know someone in the building trade, worth asking about trade discount - we regularly see discounts at up to 30% on a lot of things - dependent on supplier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0133_1.jpg (112.7 KB, 13 views)
cue2 likes this.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I hate the way the construction supplies industry works. If the pricing was set at the required price there would be no need for 30+% discounts. It is worse than the Insurance industry and that says something.

Having worked in the construction industry I am never sure if a high price means "we have plenty of work in hand and don't want this particular job but need to stay on your preferred tenderers list" or "we think we can sucker you into giving us an excessive profit"
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 28-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

If a builder charges you £3000 for materials and gets a 30% discount he pockets a thousand.
We had this type of thing “offered” to us when we had our ground floor extension done , in the form of an overpriced kitchen. The builder was not happy when I questioned the design of the recommended product.
However, if you’re not using a builder , and you just want windows, the window supplier tries to pocket the 30%.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Agreed but if the builder wasn't given the discount and insisted he needed the £900 (30% of £3000) then his cost for fitting should reflect that. It is just a way for greedy suppliers to screw the gullible public and/or force them to deal only with a registered trader.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Have they changed Crittall windows? I grew up in a house with them and they were awful. The iron/steel frames rusted despite copious layers of paint and eventually the rust expanded cracking the glass. Also horrendously cold in the winter, admittedly we only had a coal fire in the house, and we would wake up with ice on the inside of the windows. My school was opposite Crittall Windows, which was on Crittall's Corner, (odd that) I wonder if it is still called that despite Crittalls vacating the site ages ago.

But addressing the point regarding new windows although the hard sell has been toned down somewhat, the industry does still appear to be partly populated by charlatans.

Last edited by armoore; 01-04-19 at 19:20.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
I pretty had to forcibly remove a "very high up in the world" windows salesman from our house once. He was desperate for a signature and just would not take "no" for an answer. We wanted a conservatory and all windows replaced. Not Crittal, just bog standard double glazed units. His starting price was about £25k, which pretty quickly was reduced to £18k within half an hour. But it was the fact that he tried to fleece us for the £25k he couldn't understand.

Eventually got him to leave by calling his head office and lodging a complaint whilst he was still there.

The local company was so much better. No hard sell, gave a fair price and job done.

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The crittal window has developed to double or triple glazed and premium priced. I have a salesman visiting from a crittal lookalike company tomorrow. I must make it clear that he’s got a certain amount of time because I’ve got things to do!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
My school was opposite Crittall Windows, which was on Crittall's Corner, (odd that) I wonder if it is still called that despite Crittalls vacating the site ages ago.
Yes, still called Crittall's Corner.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page