Denting our cars - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 15-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa

Denting our cars

Hi,

Our local streets are filled with dented cars - including my previously immaculate Alfa, which is now beginning to resemble a golf ball.

The police have been less than useless so I've started using CCTV to try and catch the f**kers myself.

I live in Coventry and am wondering if there are people outside Coventry who also have the same problem or whether it is a Coventry thing? It all started here in February 2008.

Anyone else had their car 'hammered'? Any idea as to what a repair would cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: Denting our cars

I must have had a least 4 dents & scrapes just from parking at Tesco's in the GT, I don't go there in the Brera at all now
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

I think chips away type companies charge about £60 a panel. Gutting isn't it - happened to me a couple of times.
AO Member

Member car:

330i M-Sport 4dr

Some b*****d keyed both offside doors on my 147 recently, I'd only nipped into the newsagents for 5 mins max when it was done. It looks awful and needs respraying when I can afford to get it done.
AO Member

Member car:

The red nosed [email protected]@t across the road from me backed into mine and denied it, denting a wing. I changed my insurance to no excess and with no claims protected it didn't cost me anything. They'll probably hike this years premium though to cover their costs.
(Post Link) post #6 of 28 Old 16-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa

So far the responses to this thread cover criminal damage via scratches and dents by incompetence - none yet cover the original query regarding criminal damage dents (small hammer/metal object impact dents). Does this mean it is just a Coventry thing???
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard111 View Post
So far the responses to this thread cover criminal damage via scratches and dents by incompetence - none yet cover the original query regarding criminal damage dents (small hammer/metal object impact dents). Does this mean it is just a Coventry thing???
Yep.

Is this some idiot with a golf ball perhaps ? Are you sure it's a metal implement being used if so wire it up to the mains the car will act like a farraday cage any one touching it will be toast, oh don't put any fuel in it.

AO Silver Member

Just kidding

You must have a licence for CCTV or you could be finding you lose your house and car from a private law suit....

Chris
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Remember my missus's dad had his 156 hit with a hammer whilst waiting in traffic in East London!
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
You must have a licence for CCTV
Chris
Not sure about this Chris.

What you must have though is clear signage stating that CCTV is in operation, that is mandatory.

Got to give the scumbags fair warning....... assuming that they can read of course.
AO Silver Member

Got plently og nicks and dings in my doors as people park next to me (even though i park in the most empty part) and then swing open their doors into mine. A mate at work just had the bonnet of his mondy dented by someone putting their shopping on it!!! Incredible!!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Parked my car in town overnight last year and came back to find someone had booted the driver's door. There was a great big dent about the size of a foot and an inch deep, with a footprint in the middle.

Dent Devils did a great job of repairing it, but you can see it's slightly rippled as the metal's been stretched.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
Got plently og nicks and dings in my doors as people park next to me (even though i park in the most empty part) and then swing open their doors into mine. A mate at work just had the bonnet of his mondy dented by someone putting their shopping on it!!! Incredible!!
I despair
AO Member

Quote:
You must have a licence for CCTV or you could be finding you lose your house and car from a private law suit....

Chris
no you don't.

Licence may be the correct term - perhaps registered

Only if a private camera is looking at only your property and within the boundary of your property is it not required to be subject to DPA.

But I believe the OP stated that the camera would be used to look at the cars in his street...this is subject to DPA and thus requires to conform to the criteria. So if the OP is using a CCTV without meeting the necessary requirements is subject to criminal prosecution. Also if a member of the publice took this to court as the OP has illegally filmed him....the OP could be subject to heavy losses for compensation.

Not sure how you register the camera and who too - but I am sure the OP could get the information.

Chris
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

I think it all depends on whether you want the CCTV footage to be admissable in a court of law; or whether you just want enough proof of who did it before you go out and kick seventeen types of s*** out of them.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Im sure if you join neighbourhood watch and display signage up and down your street and then explain to the police that your now considering using cctv to catch the scumbag/s then that is admissible in court. A street near me has used cctv to catch dog walkers ignoring their dog poop and has warning of prosecution if the offending owner is caught surely a similar circumstance?. Hope you find out and make the t$*t pay.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
There are certainly some ignorant mother f***ers about.. going off subject a bit my new motorbike was parked at sainsburys,i came out and caught some muppet sitting on it,i asked him to get off and the cretin wanted to fight me so i took him up on his offer and smashed him in the face with my crash helmet
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfens View Post
I think it all depends on whether you want the CCTV footage to be admissable in a court of law; or whether you just want enough proof of who did it before you go out and kick seventeen types of s*** out of them.

with you on that
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel_900 View Post
There are certainly some ignorant mother f***ers about.. going off subject a bit my new motorbike was parked at sainsburys,i came out and caught some muppet sitting on it,i asked him to get off and the cretin wanted to fight me so i took him up on his offer and smashed him in the face with my crash helmet

oh what a happy ending i like you style :evilgrin:
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Top man scalpel!
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Licence may be the correct term - perhaps registered

Only if a private camera is looking at only your property and within the boundary of your property is it not required to be subject to DPA.

But I believe the OP stated that the camera would be used to look at the cars in his street...this is subject to DPA and thus requires to conform to the criteria. So if the OP is using a CCTV without meeting the necessary requirements is subject to criminal prosecution. Also if a member of the publice took this to court as the OP has illegally filmed him....the OP could be subject to heavy losses for compensation.

Not sure how you register the camera and who too - but I am sure the OP could get the information.

Chris
Don't think this is correct either Chris. Have recently fitted CCTV recording systems to Taxis, Front facing , Rear facing and 2 x Internal viewing cameras fitted and hooked up to a DVR. Obviously the Front and Rear cameras take images entirely outside the car while the internal one record the features of potential thugs and runaways. Checked with the authorities and the only requirement was to have a few notices on the Taxi visible from both outside and inside stating that CCTV was in operation.

Using your argument would seem to prevent anyone taking any pics in public at any time in case you had someone else in shot !

Ever so slightly off topic there has been a couple of cases recently in Yorkshire where ordinary people have been restrained from taking pics in the streets because of " security risks" ! ( One guy was taking a pic of his wife in front of a new shopping centre in Hull. ) I think the whole thing was later classed as a " mis understanding " but if this kind of thing does proliferate we may as well throw our cameras in the bin, they'll be of sod all use to us.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Here's the approved sign.

Last edited by Nige005; 02-07-08 at 16:17.
(Post Link) post #25 of 28 Old 17-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa

Thumbs Up Re: Denting our cars

Quote:

Chris
Hi and no. You don't need a licence to use CCTV. If it is to monitor your own private property you don't even need to register it under the data protection act. I did make enquiries.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page