You couldn't make it up... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

17Likes
  • 2 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By Keithy
  • 1 Post By TonyGr
  • 1 Post By BigFoot
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 5 Post By r1200rt
  • 1 Post By Matty156
  • 2 Post By MalcQV
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 2 Post By cue2

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 11-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
You couldn't make it up...

Last November I was involved in a road traffic collision, where another car rammed me from behind as I waited at a junction for the car in front of me to turn right.

This was a bit of a blessing in disguise as the Ford focus which I had was written off, and considering it was well rusty and drank oil like an RD500 with worn crank seals I got a very good price for it from the insurer.

Now this morning, on a road just around the corner from the other collision it has happened again. I had stopped to let a car through (his right of way due to car parked on my side) and some chav in a Corsa runs into the back of me.

This time in the BMW which I inherited a couple of weeks back due to my Fathers untimely passing.

Fortunately the damage only looks to be on the rear bumper. But I still have the hassle of getting it sorted through insurance etc.

Both accidents were caused by young lads driving too fast/too close in crappy cars.

Why can't people just slow down/pay attention to what they are doing?

In total this is the third accident I have been involved in since June 2017 where a middle aged lady drove her Peugeot RCZ into the side of the Giulietta.

I will now have three claims on my insurance, and although none are my fault I still don't like it...
MalcQV and stan laurel like this.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
I would say that it is typical to get involved in a crash as soon as you are in something new (to you) but you do seem to be making a habit of it!

Glad you are Ok.
symon likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
As Keith says glad you are OK.

Problem is that although they are, for you, no fault accidents the underwriters will see it as evidence that you regularly drive in accident blackspots and up will go the basic premium, still the same NCD but, nevertheless, more to pay. Life is so unfair!
symon likes this.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope the car gets sorted quickly and with minimal hassle.
symon likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Bummerooni.

Where do you live, what route do you take regularly and what car, reg and colour.

I can better plan my day knowing these things.

Mrs. V had three on the bounce a few years ago, all her fault possibly four but she said someone scratched her car while parked I had to take her off my policy as a named driver
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 12-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Bummerooni.

Where do you live, what route do you take regularly and what car, reg and colour.

Mrs. V had three on the bounce a few years ago, all her fault possibly four but she said someone scratched her car while parked I had to take her off my policy as a named driver
I often take different routes each day to try and avoid the traffic.

Just getting a bit annoyed now, normally I let what others do on the road pass over my head as there is no point getting annoyed with others bad driving, but when it impacts you (Literally) there isn't much that you can do.

I don't think its possible to avoid an accident if you are already stationary when it happens.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
I have been a driving instructor for 17 years and have been hit from behind in excess of 10 times. I have had 2 cars written off.
It seems as if by putting an L plate on the roof, you naturally attract morons who think that by driving too close to a learner is a good idea.
Morons, thick and gormless. If you get behind a vehicle that is going slower than you (a tractor, slow lorry or even a b""""y learner) The best thing to do is stay back so that you can see the road ahead, and then see the correct time to effect an overtake.
How many times do I get Mr Gorm-less driving his Audi, BMW, or SEAT, right up my backside, only to see him ZOOM past to then by stuck behind the tractor I have been following. Mr Gorm, then sticks so close to the tractor he can't see that there is an overtake opportunity coming up. I take the opportunity and overtake him and the tractor in one go. He will then ZOOM past me at the earliest opportunity as being overtaken by a learner car is the same as being seen in a car that is not an Audi, BMW or a SEAT
The roads are full of useless drivers. I know I train them. I get sick of them telling me how good they are at driving. That all they need is to practise the manoeuvres. They don't see signs, or road markings, they get in the wrong lane at roundabouts. None of it is of course their fault. The next time you are in a queue at a set of lights see how many people stop in the 'KEEP CLEAR' sections. Are they ignorant drivers, or did they just not see it?? How many people stop in the cyclists section at lights. It is three points on your licence for that. Oh! Sorry mate I didn't see it.
symon, AmicusPro, Matty156 and 2 others like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Bummerooni.

that elicited an actual chortle!

To Symon, I feel your pain.

My wife has been involved in 3 non-fault accidents over the years, one of which wrote-off our only ever brand new car, which we lost money on, despite GAP insurance (it deserves another rant on it's own, but I'll leave it for now).

The thing is, even though she was not at fault and didn't claim for injuries - because, surprisingly, there were none - just the costs of repair, her insurance premiums still increased at renewal. When I questioned it (I had to push the point), the customer service advisor told us that it was because she was deemed a higher risk.

So there you go: Blameless, honest, and yet still punished.

I'm glad you're ok Symon, but be prepared to shop around come renewal time.

Hope your luck changes soon fella
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I often take different routes each day to try and avoid the traffic.

Just getting a bit annoyed now, normally I let what others do on the road pass over my head as there is no point getting annoyed with others bad driving, but when it impacts you (Literally) there isn't much that you can do.

I don't think its possible to avoid an accident if you are already stationary when it happens.
Move?
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200rt View Post
I have been a driving instructor for 17 years and have been hit from behind in excess of 10 times. I have had 2 cars written off.
It seems as if by putting an L plate on the roof, you naturally attract morons who think that by driving too close to a learner is a good idea.
Morons, thick and gormless. If you get behind a vehicle that is going slower than you (a tractor, slow lorry or even a b""""y learner) The best thing to do is stay back so that you can see the road ahead, and then see the correct time to effect an overtake.
How many times do I get Mr Gorm-less driving his Audi, BMW, or SEAT, right up my backside, only to see him ZOOM past to then by stuck behind the tractor I have been following. Mr Gorm, then sticks so close to the tractor he can't see that there is an overtake opportunity coming up. I take the opportunity and overtake him and the tractor in one go. He will then ZOOM past me at the earliest opportunity as being overtaken by a learner car is the same as being seen in a car that is not an Audi, BMW or a SEAT
The roads are full of useless drivers. I know I train them. I get sick of them telling me how good they are at driving. That all they need is to practise the manoeuvres. They don't see signs, or road markings, they get in the wrong lane at roundabouts. None of it is of course their fault. The next time you are in a queue at a set of lights see how many people stop in the 'KEEP CLEAR' sections. Are they ignorant drivers, or did they just not see it?? How many people stop in the cyclists section at lights. It is three points on your licence for that. Oh! Sorry mate I didn't see it.

Agree. Driving for me is not about the physical action of actually driving the car but more about the observation and pre-empting situations before they happen. Essentially doing constant risk analysis. Before I make any move that puts me at risk do a quick risk analysis as to why I intend to make the move and the benefit it will gain me.

Just ordered a new sat nav for the car (got fed up of using google maps) and actually made sure it also has a camera built into it to evidence any problems that occur. Over my years of driving (20 or so) I have seen a progressive decline in quality of driving and risk taking. Roundabouts in particular for me. Drivers just fly across them with no care as to what is on their right or actually on the roundabout itself. I have had so many people just fly out ahead of me when I'm nearly on the roundabout itself its scary.

Don't get me started with respect to cyclists and motorists. I am both so have a more balanced opinion I guess. Needless to say I *hate* cycling through busy town centres these days. Also cyclists that ride in the dark with no lights, dressed in back are morons IMHO. Darwin awards waiting to happen....

As for the young... well they have always been a bit reckless no? Boy racers have and always will exist. Think its a fact of life.

Think they should make tracks more accessible in terms of costs so they can let young lads a bit loose on there to maybe get it out of their system!!! In fact its a shame track days are expensive and insurance is probably prohibitive for them... even though technically there is less risk of actually hitting someone else and less risks around in general.
AmicusPro likes this.

Last edited by Matty156; 14-02-19 at 14:16.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 15-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Move?
Then I would have hit the car coming towards me... LOl
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Then I would have hit the car coming towards me... LOl
I saw that coming.
AO Silver Member

County: -
@symon , regardless of protected MCD, fault or non-fault, your premium will increase. I had a couple of claims (first was a deer- classified as MY fault; I think insurance needs more regulation to prevent obviously wrong blame apportioning), and the second was a fool in a Mazda 6 who decided to reverse with left lock out of a parking space but swung the front of his car into the side of mine as I had just parked next to him. I left plenty room (I parked on end space in a narrow car) yet he never bothered to look before reversing and never bothered to heed over 3 seconds of constant horn and never bothered to brake. I had been parked for 7 seconds (3 of which with the horn sounding) and his Mazda stopped only because it couldn't move any further.

This was driven by a clearly arrogant mid 40s man with his infant son in the car. He then tried to blame me. Only when I put certain facts and photographic evidence to the insurance company was liability correctly apportioned.

My point is, my insurance doubled despite having protected NCD and having only claiming 2 screens in 3 decades before the deer incident. Insurance does not pay out for cost involved in finding a new car or cover increased premiums.

If this ever happens again, I'll be keeping proof of costs and accessing Queen's Bench to recover all costs at a later date.
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 18-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

My premiums don't seem to have increased.

However I am more concerned about poor quality repair work done on the car. The BMW seems fine for now, but in 2017 the Giulietta was hit in the side, which required two new doors and a complete respray of the driver side.

There is now rust appearing on the driver side rear arch, and the lacquer is starting to peel on the "Dog leg" between the arch and the rear door.

So the poor Alfa has suffered through something which wasn't my fault.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

None fault insurance premiums need regulating. I don't care what they say regarding statistics. It's legalised thieving
symon and Fruity like this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 22-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
None fault insurance premiums need regulating. I don't care what they say regarding statistics. It's legalised thieving
I think some insurance companies will make a selling point of not hiking premiums in non fault claims.

For example Churchill now cover your car without it affecting your no claims if it is vandalised, and Direct line won't make you loose your no claims if you are hit by an uninsured driver.

I am with direct line now and there has been no premium increases for me since people started using me as a brake.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
I think some insurance companies will make a selling point of not hiking premiums in non fault claims.

For example Churchill now cover your car without it affecting your no claims if it is vandalised, and Direct line won't make you loose your no claims if you are hit by an uninsured driver.

I am with direct line now and there has been no premium increases for me since people started using me as a brake.
Because I am a push puller (did my IAM in 2000) I get IAM insurance through Cornmarket (broker). i am regularly informed my premiums don't increase if a non-fault accident. fortunately for my daily I have not bettered their offers in years and years. However if I was in a non-fault accident but wanted to go elsewhere I do wonder.

I've not made an insurance in claim in over 10 years. The last one was due to an uninsured driver. I have no idea how good my current insurance is and do not wish to find out. However despite being the cheapest are they actually any good and therefore I might in the future need to change?

I'm with AiB for my two weekend toys. I have no idea whether they increase premiums for non-fault.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Quote:
My premiums don't seem to have increased.

However I am more concerned about poor quality repair work done on the car. The BMW seems fine for now, but in 2017 the Giulietta was hit in the side, which required two new doors and a complete respray of the driver side.

There is now rust appearing on the driver side rear arch, and the lacquer is starting to peel on the "Dog leg" between the arch and the rear door.

So the poor Alfa has suffered through something which wasn't my fault.

Pretty sure the repairer is liable for any repairs for a number of years. My Mrs had an accident that ended up in the car being written off only because the assessor said they would be liable due to the type of repairs (all four corners, suspension etc, pretty major when you've been bounced around the M6 by a HGV on a Friday night rush hour) even though it came inside the % value rule.
I'd go back to those who repaired it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
If you get nowhere , I would send photos of the deterioration of the car to the insurance company CEO and try calling to discuss it. Esure made such a mess of fixing our 4 month old Audi years back that I tried to get redress and they tried to correct the work eventually sending it to an Audi dealer. I gave up trying to get the thing right but a year later I saw it was getting worse and a colleague who’d worked in insurance told me what to do. I got through to the CEO and he was appalled so asked me to think about what I wanted and he called me back. I said I didn’t want betterment but to be in the position I’d have been in had the accident not happened. They agreed to buy the Audi for what it’d be on an Audi forecourt and collected it the day I went to collect a new car. I lost a lot of money as it was new when damaged in a non fault accident but I couldn’t face watching it decay!
symon and Sterzo like this.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Yet someone else afflicted by sub-standard repairs. Not funny that but it was the aforementioned incident which resulted in sub-standard repairs to the Honda.

Next time before they touch a car for repairs, I'll send them a legal notice (with proof of sending) the CEO or whatever's car will be covered in Nitromors/brake fluid if the repairs aren't to standard for whatever time period.

Security cameras or not, that would be legalised criminal damage. What is not rebutted is accepted in law.
I'm getting quite a bit of satisfaction from going the legal route and turning tables on a number of companies/legal entities but that's another matter.

Yes, rust protection is complete BS. If this happens again I'll write to all the "approved" car companies they advertise and provide proof of why they should withdraw approval from said repairer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page