Hate being taken for a mug. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

12Likes
  • 2 Post By stan laurel
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 6 Post By amfalconer

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 29-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Hate being taken for a mug.

Ralf, this isn't aimed at you fella, but your timing couldn't have been better.

Last night, about 8:30, I was on the PC when my wife answered a knock at the door.

A lad in his 20's asked if we had any jump leads as his car had stopped and he couldn't get it going. As it was peeing down outside, Kath kindly volunteered my services and foolishly I agreed to help.

The car was a silver 147 about 50 yards down the road, so I drove up and hooked up the jump leads.
I asked where he got the car from ("Blackburn for free, from an uncle who couldn't be bothered to repair it properly") and where he lived ("round the corner"), but because it was so wet and I wanted to get back inside, I paid little attention or thought to it.

The car turned over straight away but wouldn't fire up and I suggested it was either not getting fuel or a spark, so I asked about his fuel level and he told me it was on empty.
I offered to get him my jerry can of fuel (for the lawnmower) from the house, so he followed me back.

I let him stand in the hallway, whilst I got the fuel.

I then gave him the fuel and said that if it works, he could go and fill up and, because he lives round the corner, he could bring me back the topped up can.

A few minutes later, I heard a car revving and driving off.

That was last I've seen of him and the car.

I'm now worried that:

1: He's nicked the car (I didn't think to look at the reg)
2: He's seen where we keep keys in the hallway, luckily not on the hooks
3: I might be paranoid, it's all innocent and he thought it would be too late to return the fuel.

Either way, it's now 24 hours later. I've driven around the estate and there is no silver 147 to be seen, and I've not had even an empty fuel can returned.

I'm going to stop being nice to people I don't know.

Last edited by stan laurel; 29-01-19 at 20:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

You did a good deed... karma will repay you.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 29-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
You did a good deed... karma will repay you.
I hope it doesn't repay me by way of getting burgled, or my car stolen!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
I hope it doesn't repay me by way of getting burgled, or my car stolen!
Nah...it will be fine....but keep a baseball bat handy
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Nice of you to replenish the local arsonists stock.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 29-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

you guys make me feel warm inside.

potentially defensively violent, but warm.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
you guys make me feel warm inside.

potentially defensively violent, but warm.
Thatís what arsonists do, make you warm inside.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Last edited by ronan; 31-01-19 at 11:16.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Ralf, this isn't aimed at you fella, but your timing couldn't have been better.

Last night, about 8:30, I was on the PC when my wife answered a knock at the door.

A lad in his 20's asked if we had any jump leads as his car had stopped and he couldn't get it going. As it was peeing down outside, Kath kindly volunteered my services and foolishly I agreed to help.

The car was a silver 147 about 50 yards down the road, so I drove up and hooked up the jump leads.
I asked where he got the car from ("Blackburn for free, from an uncle who couldn't be bothered to repair it properly") and where he lived ("round the corner"), but because it was so wet and I wanted to get back inside, I paid little attention or thought to it.

The car turned over straight away but wouldn't fire up and I suggested it was either not getting fuel or a spark, so I asked about his fuel level and he told me it was on empty.
I offered to get him my jerry can of fuel (for the lawnmower) from the house, so he followed me back.

I let him stand in the hallway, whilst I got the fuel.

I then gave him the fuel and said that if it works, he could go and fill up and, because he lives round the corner, he could bring me back the topped up can.

A few minutes later, I heard a car revving and driving off.

That was last I've seen of him and the car.

I'm now worried that:

1: He's nicked the car (I didn't think to look at the reg)
2: He's seen where we keep keys in the hallway, luckily not on the hooks
3: I might be paranoid, it's all innocent and he thought it would be too late to return the fuel.

Either way, it's now 24 hours later. I've driven around the estate and there is no silver 147 to be seen, and I've not had even an empty fuel can returned.

I'm going to stop being nice to people I don't know.
Don't be too quick to judge - this happened to me a couple of years back, a similarly-aged chap broke down outside of the house in a Freelander - no fuel, no wallet and had about 20-odd miles to get home.

I gave him the whatever remained of the admittedly aged fuel I keep in reserve for the lawnmower, and told him to take the jerrycan in case he needed to scrounge more fuel along the way, and if he was passing he could drop it back.

I thought afterwards that would be the last I heard of him, but 2 days later he was back, with now full jerrycan, tenner for my troubles, and an apology that he hadn't got round sooner!

I let him keep the tenner

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes

Last edited by amfalconer; 06-02-19 at 09:56.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Had a guy ask for a tenner at the petrol station once. His car was around the corner. I gave him a fiver (he complained). I never saw him or his car again.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Had a guy ask for a tenner at the petrol station once. His car was around the corner. I gave him a fiver (he complained). I never saw him or his car again.
I got stopped at a petrol station in Southampton once by a couple of worried-looking scantily-dressed young ladies. They asked if I could give them a lift a short way down the road because they were 'being followed'. Not thinking about their clothing (it was about time clubs were kicked out) I did the chivalrous thing and said 'of course!'

First thing that worried me was when they both climbed into the front seat, with one of them dangling over the gear lever. I gave them a funny look and gingerly changed gear whilst I was pulling out of the petrol station.

1/4 mile down the road one of them piped up: "Have you got a girlfriend?"

"Er, why do you want to know...?" - a little more suspicious now

"Do you want some action?" - screeched car to a halt and told them to get out, suddenly and stupidly realizing these were not, perhaps, damsels in distress after all...
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
I got stopped at a petrol station in Southampton once by a couple of worried-looking scantily-dressed young ladies. They asked if I could give them a lift a short way down the road because they were 'being followed'. Not thinking about their clothing (it was about time clubs were kicked out) I did the chivalrous thing and said 'of course!'

First thing that worried me was when they both climbed into the front seat, with one of them dangling over the gear lever. I gave them a funny look and gingerly changed gear whilst I was pulling out of the petrol station.

"Do you want some action?" - screeched car to a halt and told them to get out, suddenly and stupidly realizing these were not, perhaps, damsels in distress after all...
I think I know which petrol station you mean... but that's Southampton for you
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post

Driving up the M6 to Manchester when I worked in the Midlands a chap at the services said he had just been for an interview in Birmingham to get back into work. He said he had ran out of money and asked for a lift towards Liverpool.
At Knutsford services I let him out as I was going towards Manchester and just as I did he asked if I could withdraw money from the ATM for him and he would take my details and pay me back.
I told him the lift was all he was getting. Not sure to this day if his story held any truth.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page