eBay Sellers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Fruity
  • 4 Post By FredDibnah
  • 3 Post By r1200rt

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
ebay eBay Sellers

I'm guessing this is familiar to anyone who has tried to order 2nd hand car parts from someone advertising a car as "breaking".

I'm guessing plenty of people frequenting the 156, 147 and GT lounge will testify to how irritatingly precise I usually am.

Back to plot. I contact a seller and provide him with a detailed shopping list.

I get a message back. He doesn't understand.

I message him back. I am very precise this time, even by my standards. I offer to send photos.

He is still clueless and asks for photos.

I send photos and never hear from him again.

Firstly, why do eBay sellers make up such a large proportion of what I'll describe as the cerebrally challenged? Why are so many of them without manners? He's not returned contact since.

In a nutshell; what is it with eBay? Half the sellers sell cheap, knock-off tat and it's too much bother to display manners for the rest.

I remember buying some LEDs (2 pairs) advertised as UK dispatch. They came from Hong Kong. One failed on installation which I'd have let slip but another failed days later. I contacted the seller. I said I wanted to return them all and wanted a full refund.
Short story is that after many messages, they finally understood the ramifications of not complying with UK consumer protection legislation (like they suddenly just learned English when their eBay account was threatened) and finally decided to refund me the full amount as originally requested.

I'm better than most at getting decent stuff from eBay but even I am wondering why when there are so many jokers and time wasters.

Anyone have a really good eBay rant?
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Somewhere on this forum already is my rant regarding the young lady Ebay buyer who won the bidding on 5 full sized stripped pine doors (3'6 x 6'2) that I listed, and who arrived to collect them - alone - in her Peugeot 205.....
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Why oh why do people bother to list a certain vehicle as 'breaking'
"You will receive a wheel nut if you bid" they say.

So, you ask for the bits you want.
If, and I mean IF, you get a response, it will look as if a 5 year old has written it, and it will say.
Sold!, or the really educated ones will go as far as to say not got! or gone!

At least it shows us what people of very low IQ do with their time, whilst waiting for the giro to come.

I recently saw a car advertised on ebay by a dealer. Looked nice, bit pricey, but it was a dealer and I would refuse to pay asking price anyway. I thought I would go and look at it and buy it if it was nice. Decided to call him for a chat and to see if it was still there etc. The number on the advert was not the correct one, so I went to their website and got the correct number????? No answer so I left a message asking them to get back in touch with me. NOTHING. So, I sent an ebay message saying I wanted to come and look. NOTHING. He must have been out getting a new shell suit, with a hood!!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 17-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
A little off topic but nonetheless related; I decided to look for spare bulbs for festive decoration lights. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at the number of sellers who don't appear to understand the concept of an electric circuit and how details such as voltage and current ratings may aid them actually sell some of their wares.

Eventually I found what I was looking for. I then made the mistake of sending the seller an offer for 2 packets. 1 pack was advertised as £8 p&p included. I offered £14 which I thought was reasonable. I did get a counter offer back for £15. This irritated me because it was going to be more profitable for the seller who would not be paying p&p on the second pack. I figured this completely undermines the whole concept of an offer and therefore bargaining. It was at that point I read the terms more carefully. The cheeky beggar had decided not to include p&p in the negotiations which meant I would also be liable for possibly inflated p&p on top of the hardly reduced £15 price.

Do these fools actually want to sell or not and why are they hell-bent on hijacking their own chances of selling?
Really? How self-defeating can someone be?

Needless to say, I flatly rejected the offer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page