LED headlamps. Why so bright? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

20Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 17-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
LED headlamps. Why so bright?

I cannot be alone in wondering why cars have to excessively visible. The LED output is so bright that driving in town is becoming less easy read what's going on. I was in the car with my 15 year old daughter and she commented on it and we looked around at all the sharp blue/white light everywhere , including reflections. That's without any examples of the prats who put an "LED bulb" in their Corsa with no understanding of the way the filament in the real bulb was in the centre of a properly designed parabolic reflector that the LED doesn't use properly.
Back to cars equipped with LED from new. Apparently it saves on co2 output. But when the replacement cost of a pair of lamps exceeds the value of the car so early in its life surely the cars will be scrapped or written off requiring new ones to be built and create much more pollution ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

I would go even further.....why have all these LED day-running lights? They are too bright, dazzle and are dangerous! The current mode seems to be "I'll have the most, the brightest and in-your-face lights I can" - front fog lights all the time, rear fog lights when it's a light drizzle. The drivers who do that are just ignorant and probably have some other chip on their shoulder.

Probably the main "causus belli" is the motor manufacturers who just have to have something to make "their car" look more attractive/aggressive than the other marques. Rant over......for the moment.
cue2 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Surely these are illegal ??
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The ones fitted to new cars as standard are excessively bright IMO.

It was the same when HID's came in. Those with standard halogen headlights started to struggle to see where they were going.
djlat likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Surely these are illegal ??
There are many lighting issues which are illegal but where are the traffic police to catch them. I'll tell you where they are.....sitting in a van collecting 60 a throw or 100 if you do the course.
(Post Link) post #6 of 29 Old 17-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The United Nations are concerned that even the legal ones are too bright.
(Post Link) post #7 of 29 Old 17-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

AO Member

County: -
You are not supposed to look into the lights.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Ive just finished re-reading a book on the history of Grumman aircraft and at one time they were experimenting with the use of bright lights placed on the leading edges of the aircraft to decrease its visibility to others. Apparently it was successful but not used because of the size of batteries needed. I wonder if there is a similar effect, day and night, with over-bright lights on cars.
cue2, Fruity and photoman like this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sahl View Post
You are not supposed to look into the lights.
Oh...very droll.....you don't need to look at them to be dazzled at 5pm in the Friday rush-hour and they are so bright you can't see anything else anyway. Sometimes it's point the car and hope for the best.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
It was worth a read....thanks. This bit caught my eye...... "and found that six in 10 (58%) motorists think modern vehicle headlights are so bright they risk causing other motorists to have accidents."

That is my point.
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 29 Old 17-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Very powerful light and extremely loud noise is used as part of the security to repel potential intruders on mega yachts.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

It's increasingly difficult to see indicators because of the ludicrously bright lights. Lights fulfill two purposes, to see and be seen. Headlamps have been powerful enough for the driver to see clearly since the sixties or seventies. To be seen, e.g. in town, the ideal would be a large dimly lit area, not effin searchlights.
photoman likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
If you have a car with powerful LED lights and you pass a similar car with equally powerful LED lights, do both drivers get that 'bleach out' then complete blindness for a second or so while their eyes readjust? If so, then what has been achieved from a visibility perspective? Sure, when you are driving alone on an isolated road, these bright lights are super, but when driving on 'normal' roads with opposing lights... are we just out-blinding each other?
photoman likes this.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
There's another issue I think which is the size of modern LED lights. They tend to be smaller than old-style headlights so to throw the same amount of light onto the road, they must necessarily be brighter. I have given up driving at night unless I absolutely have to because I am so frequently dazzled by oncoming vehicles on the winding unlit roads here in the Dales. This is exacerbated by the sharp cut-off of projector-style headlights causing more dazzle when approaching the crest of hills. The feeble nature of the Giulietta's standard headlights doesn't help but I find the foglights a help in illuminating the verges, even if using them is not strictly legal.
steveisfrowning likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I have the same issue with cyclists lights that flash and blind you in your rear view mirror or when they point toward you to go round a pothole
mick.p. likes this.
AO Member

County: -Netherlands

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
I have the same issue with cyclists lights that flash and blind you in your rear view mirror or when they point toward you to go round a pothole
Doesnt bother me because my rear view mirror automaticly dims .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
A lot of cyclists have front lights pointing straight at oncoming traffic, so that they dazzle.

And a tiny flashing rear one which you can't see until the last minute...
Fruity likes this.
(Post Link) post #19 of 29 Old 21-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

On my bicycles I have the stronger led lamp at the rear and a flashing led front lamp which doesn't glare. Led is good for visibilty but ,as has been said, needs to be ridiculously strong to illuminate.
AO Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
On my bicycles I have the stronger led lamp at the rear and a flashing led front lamp which doesn't glare. Led is good for visibilty but ,as has been said, needs to be ridiculously strong to illuminate.
As a cyclist as well, I personally don't like the flashing front cycle lights except during daylight hours. At night they are at the very least ineffective, just hypnotic. They grab so much of other road user's attention that a road user (I won't call them a driver, 'cos this is true for other cyclists as well) coming from the opposite direction tends to steer inadvertently toward the light - not the real intention of having a flashing light I'm sure.

Can I also add those ultra-bright traffic lights into the debate please? There is a set quite near my home that controls a pedestrian crossing. The problem is that there is also an uncontrolled junction just past the lights. Anyone approaching the lights when they are on green are so dazzled that they cannot see past them, and hence if you are turning out of the junction you don't see traffic approaching from the other side of the lights. In fact, approaching the lights on the main road, unless you know the route, you can be totally unaware there is a junction coming up at all!!

Oh, and don't get me started on SUVs and 4x4s that have headlights at the same height as my rear view mirror
Fruity likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I would imagine there is a way of having good old fashioned halogen bulbs for dip beam and brighter LED's for main beam. Something like that might work.

One other thing, our car has automatic lights, so they not only come on when the sensor believes it's time, but they automatically go onto high beam or dip as other traffic/street lights demand. This sounds great, but the dip/high beam part seams to work well, however the sensor that turns them on originally doesn't recognize fog, so when it's even slightly foggy, when you should have your lights on, the sensor doesn't recognize this, so we end up with loads of drivers not realising they haven't got their lights on. Dimwits.

Mick.

if things don't change they will stay as they are.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeMarty View Post
Doesnt bother me because my rear view mirror automaticly dims .

That feature wasn't around when they built my 145
AO Member

County: -Netherlands

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
That feature wasn't around when they built my 145
I understand but i bet that it can be build in using the light above the mirror, but i dont know if a 145 has one?

AO Silver Member

LEDs are bright as in order to illuminate an object, the narrow wave band of light emitted from an LED does not give so much light saturation which is why the intensity must be greater. From the point of view of safety, I think LEDs will become known as a major step backward. Add into the equation devices which relieve the overburdened driver of thinking (such as auto wipers and lights).

Due to the proliferation of LEDs, there is evidence supporting The Peltzman Effect in that people are now less likely to look for road hazards in the same way many are confident in their tin box. In short, it is part of the ever-lowering driving standards which is inaccurately taken to be a positive.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, I read a couple of articles and the quoted self-serving fools are still touting it as a safety improvement based purely on a light meter number, no doubt.

No, this is only good for the motor trade. There is no evidence about driver behaviour, psychology or how our eyes react to certain lights. Clearly, very obviously self serving but hey, it makes money for the motor trade until they realise it has become too expensive and the whole damn lot implodes instantaneously.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page